Micronics Caslon II 600W PSU Review: A Low-Cost Gem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
" Not only does this minimize your carbon footprint"

The idea of conserving electricity is a fallacy, if you use less the people selling can sell more to someone else..... they aren't just holding on to the energy you saved because you're a hero saving the world.

Making your footprint smaller doesn't matter in the least when someone else's foot print just gets that much bigger.

Save some money, sure but for how long? The less you use the more they can charge for that smaller amount later on..... that's how it is.

On a different note, Ill likely try the psu out at one point on a build for someone else.

rohs42

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
> The idea of conserving electricity is a fallacy

No it isn't. Of course a 100 megawatt generator will not be turned off if someone saves 10 watts of power. But if a 10 million people save 10 watts of power, then of course it will be turned off. And if 100 million people save 10 watts, then there'll be no business case for that new gigawatt power plant.

As citizens, consumers and voters we all bear a small share of responsibility for the state of the world, and we all have a small part to play in making it better. It's only through working together that humanity improves. Your appeal to helplessness and apathy is pathetic.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Hey Tom's,

Once upon a time, we had an extensive brown out at work, which went on for 3 days. On day 2, I was surprised to find many of the PC's that were still working were on 60v power. Over the years, it did not seem to have a adverse affect on any of the power supplies. Lately, I have been wondering what their efficiency numbers looked like during that time, any chance you could add a severe undervolt test to the power supply suite?

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
60V is too low. Most PSUs won't even work at such low voltage. I am surprised to hear that the PSUs at your work were working under such conditions for days.

Efficiency drops along with voltage input. I want to add more protection tests, however I already have enough fails with the current ones. Nonetheless, I am keeping every suggestion under consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.