Microphone is very staticy on front port, and doesn't work in the back port.

George Mooey

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
So I received a new headset microphone for christmas and decided to test it out. I plugged it in, testing it with my computers front port jack and it was very staticy. I did multiple tests, and sometimes the static was so overbearing that it was hard to even hear myself. I looked up any ways to fix this and someone suggested using the jacks in the back of my pc. So, I tried it and the microphone jack is not working (or I assume it's not). I plugged it in, and my computer detects it, but nothing is being recorded. The audio jack works fine though. Anyone know of a way to fix this issue?
If this info is needed, my PC was built by me and I'm fairly new at building them.
Specs;
CPU; Intel Pentium G3258
GPU; Sapphire Radeon R7 260x
PSU; XFX 550W ATX12V
Memory; 8g Ram
Motherboard; ASrock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150
Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help.

PS- REALLY BIG THING I FORGOT TO ADD! The Mic works fine on a laptop that I own. I tested it on skype with that laptop. No static at all. So I think it's definitely the computer and not my headset itself.

sparky8251

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
Odd question but... Have you tried licking the plug on the headset, inserting it into a jack in your computer, pulling it out and wiping it off?

Back when I used a headset this would fix static issues for me every time. Granted I lived in a home with 8 pets so dust was everywhere but my point remains, maybe the ports a bit dusty and that's blocking the signal (it's analog so its not a work/doesn't work thing, it has 50 shades of working from crystal clear to not at all with all kinds of static in between).

George Mooey

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014

Well, i can tell you this.. I've not tried that lol, and I'm not quite sure if I even want to try that. I don't wanna risk messing anything up. On top of that, this is a new headset and like I said, it works fine on my laptop.

sparky8251

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014

It doesn't mess anything up. But the idea is to get the jack on the headset a little moist so dust sticks to it and comes out of the port when you unplug it. If your home's dusty/filled with pet hair/has a wood burner and the desktop is older and you rarely use the ports they could have dust in them. I've used this trick to even fix speakers being staticy on more than one computer at home (LOTS of pet hair at my place...)

Aside from that you can try setting the default device on the desktop for the back port to the proper device. Sometimes Windows picks a virtual device for a default and this means you aren't pulling sound from the mic you want.

To me the fact it works (both in the laptop but perfectly and the desktop with issues) but is staticy on the front means it's dust and that port needs to be cleaned. And if it detects it in the back but you can't hear anything said in it I would assume improper capture settings which means you can change it program by program or just set the default device properly.

George Mooey

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014

well, i tried it and idk if it worked necessarily, since I opened up my case and unplugged and replugged in the HD audio plug to my motherboard, but it seems the static wasn't as bad. Then again, this happened last time when i was testing it. Static was fairly low aside from a slight little buzz and then it got worse. From what I could tell though, there was no dust. I have 3 pomeranians and a teacup yorkie (I SWEAR THEY ARE NOT MY DOGS lol) but they don't go into my room often, and the pc is about a month old, so I'm pretty sure it's not a dusty jack.
Also, I'm assuming the default device is "front mic" for this headset since that's whats picking up the audio levels when I'm using it on the front jack. It was set to that when I plugged it into the back port and still didn't get any recording from the mic.
Either way, it seems to be okay for now, but again, this happened before after some tests and it still having issues. I'm gonna call a friend on skype to test some more and come back to see if this was a solution or not.

sparky8251

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
Can always try getting proper audio drivers too. Usually people stick with the default Windows ones. They work well but are lacking some features and may have flaws for certain devices.

Not sure which you have but basically every audio card these days is from creative or realtek.

George Mooey

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014

I'm assuming it's realtek, since that's what pops up whenever I plug in my headphones from the front or back audio/mic jacks.