[SOLVED] Microphone quality improvements? How do I make my standard USB Microphone sound professional

Help needed101

Prominent
Jul 11, 2019
I bought the Hyperx Quadcast microphone when getting my first pc roughly a year ago. I know that it already sounds good but i’m not a professional i’m that area. I want to improve the quality and sound of my microphone and I need some help.

I already know that finding the right position for your mic helps and i’m working on that but what I need help with is the deeper stuff. Like do I need a microphone amp (if those even exist for usb mics) or do I need a program of some sort to adjust the gain and sound suppression? Maybe even both if I need it. I know that the with the quadcast it has a very sensitive mic and i’ve already set my computer audio at around 70 and my microphone gain at the 3rd dot which works the best and sounds pretty good. I’m just looking for more ways to improve, especially while streaming or recording

I plan on starting to stream and I need the extra help to start on that. I’m already figuring out the audio while using a dac/amp setup outside of the computer but my microphone needs improvements to keep up with my audio as well.

whoever has tips that can lead me in t right direction every bit would be helpful!

Last edited:
Solution

Help needed101

Prominent
Jul 11, 2019
The other thing, is to improve your recording environment. Some acoustic foam panels placed around to limit reflections can improve things a lot.

I don’t exactly have an office room, or a recording room but instead i’ll have to stick to my bedroom. Would adding like a 24 pack of them on the wall as well as filling up space on walls with objects such as nanoleafs work to show atleast some results?

kanewolf

Titan
I don’t exactly have an office room, or a recording room but instead i’ll have to stick to my bedroom. Would adding like a 24 pack of them on the wall as well as filling up space on walls with objects such as nanoleafs work to show atleast some results?
You can use the much closer. Get a couple "science fair" type boards and put acoustic foam on them. Then place them around the mic area. Create a dead zone near the mic.

Help needed101

Prominent
Jul 11, 2019
You can use the much closer. Get a couple "science fair" type boards and put acoustic foam on them. Then place them around the mic area. Create a dead zone near the mic.

Okay so are you suggesting that I shout out them in the corners behind my desk, since my desk is going to be in a corner? Or should I sit with my back towards the wall and place them behind me?

Help needed101

Prominent
Jul 11, 2019
You will have to experiment. The wall areas behind your desk would be the first place to start. That is the most likely acoustic reflective area.

Alright, because the wall i planned on putting my desk against, or the corner i should say, has a window on both walls so facing my back towards it could get annoying at times, plus i don’t want cords running across the floor to the outlet which would be behind me. Unless i’d i put it at another angle so that the desk is to the right of the outlet for easier access?

I don’t know yet i still have time to figure it out, i’ll work on what you suggested and add it in to my budget and work on my room floor plan some more. Thanks for your help!

kanewolf

Titan
Alright, because the wall i planned on putting my desk against, or the corner i should say, has a window on both walls so facing my back towards it could get annoying at times, plus i don’t want cords running across the floor to the outlet which would be behind me. Unless i’d i put it at another angle so that the desk is to the right of the outlet for easier access?

I don’t know yet i still have time to figure it out, i’ll work on what you suggested and add it in to my budget and work on my room floor plan some more. Thanks for your help!
If you have windows, then drapes are a good option. They will prevent acoustic reflections when needed but don't require they be closed all the time.

Help needed101

Prominent
Jul 11, 2019
If you have windows, then drapes are a good option. They will prevent acoustic reflections when needed but don't require they be closed all the time.

Alright i’ll look into them, what color would be the best in your opinion? So not much light gets through to reflect on the monitors but it enough so during the day i don’t need the lights on?

kanewolf

Titan
Solution