Question Microphone suddenly only picking up PC audio and not my voice?

carlospupo63

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
I hadn't changed any settings, just woke up and suddenly my microphone wasn't working, it was only picking up my PC's audio. I've tried reinstalling microphone drivers, restarting my computer and changing multiple settings. I've tried using a different microphone, does the exact same thing. I've tried using my microphone on a different device and it worked perfectly. Is there something wrong with my audio card? EDIT - I also just downloaded the latest audio drivers for my system, didn't work.

My operating system is Windows 8.1

carlospupo63

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
Is it picking up the sound from the PC speakers and are the speakers closer to the mic than you?
no, my PC doesn't have speakers, I'm using headphones, I've also tried using a different microphone (same result). I also tried using this microphone on a different computer and it worked completely fine.

May 11, 2019
In windows properties for microphone there is a checkbox to "hot-mic" your microphone to pick up all sounds constantly, make sure that is not checked.
Im assuming that u r running W10. If yes, have you given apps access to the mic?
It's under privacy/Windows permissions/app permissions/microphone
Also try updating your windows.

carlospupo63

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
yikes, it turns out my microphone just died on these headphones, and the second pair I experimented with were just scuffed as well. Thanks for all the help though, guess I'll just buy a headset tomorrow.

Reactions: RabbitSK