Microphone upgrade

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

On 27 Dec 2004 12:25:30 -0800, "www.HassanAnsari.com - Writer / Singer
/ Rapper / Producer" <AbnoticCo@aol.com> wrote:

>Okay, I did what you said immediately... I got the adapter and got the
>Mackie out of the way. Then I recorded the same thing through the
>Mackie without touching any settings on the Eureka. Here are the
>results:
>
>With Mackie:
>
>http://www.abnoticrecords.com/mackie.mp3
>http://www.abnoticrecords.com/nomackie.mp3

Can't be bothered to listen - and on the laptop I use for email I
probably wouldn't notice any difference :)

Which sounds better?

www.HassanAnsari.com - Teen Prodigy <AbnoticCo@aol.com> wrote:
>I was about to get the RE-20 because it was recommended to me quite a
>few times, but then I was like, wait, will it really be better than my
>Rode K2 tube mic? So I kinda stopped.

Go and try it. You will be surprised. If you don't try things, you will
never know.

Also realize that what is "best" on one source is not "best" on another.

>The acoustication made the room
>dead....and different. I don't know if better or worst is the
>word....just different. The room is more bassy but quieter. I was
>pretty satisfied as it only cost me 2 hours of my time and $70...the
>room looks more professional...lol.

Is it totally dead? Is it too dead? If the room is very small, the only
solution might be to make it totally dead. There's only so much you can
do with a small room, and if you are stuck working in a place like this,
artificial reverb can be your salvation.

>There are no places around here to
>rent equipment...I've tried looking for a while and gave up. There are
>studios around...but how would I know it's the mic which is making me
>sound better, not their preamp, compressor, eq, interface, console,
>etc. So I didn't try that either. I compared the Eureka to the Avalon
>and it held its own...I was pretty surprised, so I didn't buy the
>Avalon 737SP.

By bringing your own mike and trying your mike against theirs. Almost
certainly you will find it's _not_ the mike that is making things better,
which is a good thing.
--scott

In article <1104172691.151656.186970@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
>Is there some mixer or interface I can use which would allow me to keep
>everything hooked up like I have it on the Mackie and at the same time
>not ruin the Eureka's quality? The Eureka has an XLR out and a TRS jack
>for outputs. I have my monitors, speakers, headphones, rca outs from my
>soundcard and rca ins to my soundcard all hooked up to the Mackie...how
>would I hook all of them up without the Mackie there?

With a 1/4 to RCA cable. Markertek stocks them, or you can make your own.
--scott

www.HassanAnsari.com - Teen Prodigy <AbnoticCo@aol.com> wrote:
>Are there any mixers out which would improve the sound quality once I
>run the Eureka through them?

No. Electronics don't improve sound quality. Sometimes electronics do
useful things, but you always have to deal with some level of degradation.
Use a cable.
--scott

In article <RH4Ad.6876$iC4.970@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com> neil.henderson@sbcglobal.netNOSPAM writes:

> So what's the best mic for under $200 to record dripping mucous?

I'd probably go for those AKG D9000s, two for $79.95 at Musician's
Friend. Throw 'em away when they grill gets full of mucous.

In article <1104212859.810661.168010@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> AbnoticCo@aol.com writes:

> I was thinking...there are 2 chanels on the
> Mackie where you can pretty much bypass the eq and they have 1/4"
> inputs. I can take my Eureka's TRS, put it into those jacks without any
> eq so the sound is nuetral and get it out to my soundcard....

Those are the AUX RETURN jacks, and yes, you could indeed connect your
preamp to those and it will go through a fairly direct path to the
main and tape outputs. You don't have the ability to solo it coming in
that way, and you don't have a good way to check the signal level, so
it's not as convenient as a regular channel, but it's a fairly simple
signal path.

Since this input is conventionally used for bringing the signal from
an effect such as a reverb unit back into the mix, and that isn't
considered a particularly "high fidelity" signal. Some manufacturers,
and I don't know if (or to what extent) this is the case with Mackie,
cheap out on these inputs, not putting in as well designed circuitry
or as quiet amplifier chips. But you're right - no EQ controls so
there's no need to worry that you have it really set flat. Give it a
try. It may not make your recordings sound any better, but it may ease
your conscience.

On 27 Dec 2004 21:50:12 -0800, "www.HassanAnsari.com - Writer / Singer
/ Rapper / Producer" <AbnoticCo@aol.com> wrote:

>I can deffinetly hear a difference...the sound going into my Mackie
>sounds better on singing and without the Mackie it's more fuller and
>better for my hip hop vocals....well that's how it sounds to me.

Right, to me it sounded noticeably "bigger" and more detailed with the
Mackie bypassed. I used to use a Mackie too... for just a couple of
hundred more $ I bought a used Soundcraft Delta off ebay that is
worlds better than the Mackie, although it takes up a lot more room.

Al

It's OK, these guys just love to give a free lecture with the free
advice... you get what you pay for.

Al

On 27 Dec 2004 22:09:07 -0800, "www.HassanAnsari.com - Writer / Singer
/ Rapper / Producer" <AbnoticCo@aol.com> wrote:

>And thanks playon, these guys are making a big deal out of nothing...
>
>I'm not thick headed people, I just have a lot of confidence in my
>talent.
>
>When was the last time a 15 year old came by and posted a thread like
>this and took all the advice given asking one question after another
>and showing respect to all the people helping him out? I'm just trying
>to learn.
>
>AND OF COURSE I AM NOT GOING TO RECORD TRACKS FOR 2 HOURS EACH JUST TO
>HEAR THE QUALITY OF THE RECORDING! I'm recording the vocals raw without
>adding any adlibs, reverb, eq, compression, etc in my software. If I
>took those recordings I posted the links to, made a nice instrumental
>to them and polished them up with VST plug-ins...of course they gonna
>sound much better. This is my raw work...what do you expect? Yea, I'm
>talkin to you Joe....do you want to hear my vocal abilities or my
>studio's quality? My studio's quality is easily heard with these
>"trash" recordings...and no, they are not my best work...they are just
>recordings to get a hint of the sound quality...not a hint of my talent.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:18:06 -0500, "Roger W. Norman"
<rnorman@starpower.net> wrote:

>I can only think of one Major's hit that used an SM7, which was Michael
>Jackson's Thriller. And I wasn't impressed with it for that reason.

Really? When you first heard that record did you say "damn I hate the
sound of an SM7 on vocals"?

Al

But I

<AbnoticCo@aol.com> wrote:

> When was the last time a 15 year old came by and posted a thread like
> this and took all the advice given asking one question after another
> and showing respect to all the people helping him out? I'm just trying
> to learn.

Get over yourself. Our best prior teen posters didn't bother to tell us
they were teens until well into their discussions. In the end they
impressed with their lack of self-importance.

--
ha

Set the ratio control to 4:1

So ratio knob at the number 4?

Turn all the Q controls to 2.

There are no numbers on the Q knobs, but there are about 20 little
lines around it. So put it on the 2nd line starting at the right?

I've also used one as a
SMPTE sync router to sync my workstation to various video sources, but
that's not something for you to bother with unless you're doing audio
for
video.

OMG! I've been trying to record a video to sync in with one of my
tracks perfectly and after days of stress I gave up...I wanted to match
my lips with the words on the track and it just wasn't working. Is that
what that thing allows you to do? If so, I'm very interested. I want to
make a low budget video for fun and then maybe get some better video
equipment for a video which I can get aired on local TV stations.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!! I'll get that book too and start
reading.

Oh, I've been trying that for the longest time. I actually made my best
recording yet using a ADK 51 with my Mackie (no Eureka, Baby Bottles or
Rode K2s). The technique I used....um I really don't know. I do
remember that I had the preamp gain quite high and was pretty far away
from the mic (maybe 16 inches). I had turned down the beat really low
in Audition and the vocals were being recorded at pretty normal volume
since I was quite far, not too loud and the gain was set pretty high.
Then at the end, I mixed the track down and normalized it at around 2db
so everything was louder (music and vocals) and it blended in pretty
well. I love how that recording turned out even though there are some
issues in it like hiss and slight distortion (my ADK was dropped too
many times).

In article <1104172691.151656.186...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

>Is there some mixer or interface I can use which would allow me to
keep
>everything hooked up like I have it on the Mackie and at the same time
>not ruin the Eureka's quality? The Eureka has an XLR out and a TRS
jack
>for outputs. I have my monitors, speakers, headphones, rca outs from
my
>soundcard and rca ins to my soundcard all hooked up to the
Mackie...how
>would I hook all of them up without the Mackie there?

With a 1/4 to RCA cable. Markertek stocks them, or you can make your
own.
--scott

I did that and posted the links to the 2 files...one with Mackie,
another with the Mackie out of the way.

Mackie in the middle of soundcard and Eureka:

http://www.abnoticrecords.com/mackie.mp3

TRS from Eureka converted into RCA and right into my soundcard:

http://www.abnoticrecords.com/nomackie.mp3

The Mackie makes the sound thinner..but brighter.

If you have time, give this song a listen...I just recorded it
yesterday with the Mackie in the middle of the Eureka and soundcard:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=1928052&q=Hi

(My friend is on the first verse, I'm on the 2nd verse and singing at
the end. Turned out pretty good...just wish the vocals blended in a
little more).

I didn't tell you guys I was a teen either until someone brought it up.
I actually changed my nickname before someone even said anything. I'm
not advertising my age at all.

No, I said "turn up the damned vocals"! <g>

But I have to admit that I put a tune on the last RAP CD when the trumpet
player (well, I thought he was going to play trumpet on this one) used the
SM7 for a very small harp, which he proceeded to tear up on "I'd Love Me".
Check it out. I'll bet it's the only time an SM7 has been used for
harmonica.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"playon" <playonAT@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:18:06 -0500, "Roger W. Norman"
> <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote:
>
> >I can only think of one Major's hit that used an SM7, which was Michael
> >Jackson's Thriller. And I wasn't impressed with it for that reason.
>
> Really? When you first heard that record did you say "damn I hate the
> sound of an SM7 on vocals"?
>
> Al
>
> But I
> >have an SM7 and it's great for trumpet, kick, guitar amp and a number of
> >other applications where some real dynamic range was required, as well as
> >some high SPL handling circumstances.
> >
> >Then again, one has to assume that Bruce Swedien knew what he was doing
in
> >his mic selection and that Quincy would have corrected the situation were
it
> >not acceptable.

Can you give me a link to a site which carries the Soundcraft Delta
which you are talking about? I looked it up on Google and only found
consoles for like $6,000. Upgrading my Mackie to a slightly better
mixer wouldn't be a bad idea...I've had this thing for about 6 years. I
was looking at A&H before...or even a new Mackie...I like the Mackie.
My friend will buy this one off me for about $200...so adding $500 or
so to that and getting a better qualiy mixer wouldn't hurt me.

Take a listen to this:

http://www.abnoticrecords.com/quality.mp3

I think my quality is slowly improving as I change settings and methods
of recording. That's with the Eureka and the Mackie. Give me some
feedback on the instrumental if you don't mind...I was trying to test
my piano skills...lol...I don't know if it turned out good or not.

I found mine on ebay... a guy in the bay area was liquidating a video
post-production place. I had to buy a new power supply for it, so I
ended up spending around $1200 all told. It could use a little TLC but
it works well. I was real happy to get it since as you discovered
these boards new go for a lot of money. Search google for "used
Soundcraft Delta" They made them in 8, 12, 16, 32 channel models.

http://www.proaudiosystems.co.uk/acatalog/All_Products___Free_ads___Consoles_149.html

The new Onyx Mackie boards are supposed to be an improvement and that
might be a better way to go for you... usually older gear needs some
attention. I've never heard the Onyx line so I can't speak from
experience as to how good they are.

Al

On 29 Dec 2004 11:33:37 -0800, "www.HassanAnsari.com - Writer / Singer
/ Rapper / Producer" <AbnoticCo@aol.com> wrote:

>Can you give me a link to a site which carries the Soundcraft Delta
>which you are talking about? I looked it up on Google and only found
>consoles for like $6,000. Upgrading my Mackie to a slightly better
>mixer wouldn't be a bad idea...I've had this thing for about 6 years. I
>was looking at A&H before...or even a new Mackie...I like the Mackie.
>My friend will buy this one off me for about $200...so adding $500 or
>so to that and getting a better qualiy mixer wouldn't hurt me.

Agent86

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004

Roger W. Norman wrote:

> No, I said "turn up the damned vocals"! <g>
>
> But I have to admit that I put a tune on the last RAP CD when the trumpet
> player (well, I thought he was going to play trumpet on this one) used the
> SM7 for a very small harp, which he proceeded to tear up on "I'd Love Me".
> Check it out. I'll bet it's the only time an SM7 has been used for
> harmonica.

Or maybe not:

http://www.hoohahrecords.com/rap/vol_2/disc_1/tonebarge.htm

You want me to upload multiple 30MB wave files for you then and make
all the people with 56Kbps wait over 5 hours to download them everytime
I upload new ones? The changes in quality are easily noticeable through
128 kbps mp3. I'm not an idiot...you're just deaf if you can't hear the
differences. As a matter of fact, I am almost positive I know a WHOLE
lot more than you do about computers...I've taken local college level
classes. I know what I'm doing, so if you aren't trying to help, don't
post. If you are trying to make a point, say it with a little respect.
How about..."I can't really judge the quality at that much compression
rate, can you upload them at a higher bitrate?"

lol, thanks for the help Jeff. I'm gonna hold on for the video and get
my audio knowledge boosted up more...then maybe start messing with
video next year or so. I recorded myself acting last night just for fun
on a camcorder...I was impressed. lol. But I'm not giving up music for
anything.

I've been looking up duplication companies and distributions
companies...so hopefully by May of 2005 I can have something on the
shelves of FYE and Sam Goodys. If you know any companies, please do
share. I know www.discmakers.com has a great reputation. I was also
looking at www.gatemedia.com. I mean if I can sell about 5,000 copies
making $7 off each copy, it's not bad at all. I talked to my local
radio stations so I'm already getting advertising setup and renting a
club or a theater to do a concert right before the release. So it will
be a small $15,000 project or so and I'll end up making around $40,000
at the end of the year after the CD sales and concert. Works for me! :)

<AbnoticCo@aol.com> wrote:

> Can you give me a link to a site which carries the Soundcraft Delta
> which you are talking about? I looked it up on Google and only found
> consoles for like $6,000. Upgrading my Mackie to a slightly better
> mixer wouldn't be a bad idea...I've had this thing for about 6 years. I
> was looking at A&H before...or even a new Mackie...I like the Mackie.
> My friend will buy this one off me for about $200...so adding $500 or
> so to that and getting a better qualiy mixer wouldn't hurt me.

A Mackie of their Onyx persusasion. Pretty good little mixers.

--
ha

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:22:20 GMT, walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)
wrote:

>www.HassanAnsari.com - Writer / Singer / Rapper / Producer
><AbnoticCo@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Can you give me a link to a site which carries the Soundcraft Delta
>> which you are talking about? I looked it up on Google and only found
>> consoles for like $6,000. Upgrading my Mackie to a slightly better
>> mixer wouldn't be a bad idea...I've had this thing for about 6 years. I
>> was looking at A&H before...or even a new Mackie...I like the Mackie.
>> My friend will buy this one off me for about $200...so adding $500 or
>> so to that and getting a better qualiy mixer wouldn't hurt me.
>
>A Mackie of their Onyx persusasion. Pretty good little mixers.

So you've heard them? Are they a significant improvement over the old
smaller mixers?

Al