Microphone weird echo/noise

Zer0Ctrl

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
I have this issue where whenever I record with ANY software, so it's definitely something with my computer as many different mics do the same (As well as the INGAME sound being echoey when recorded aswell). The issue is that whenever I speak or record a clip, the sound will sound very "echoey", it doesnt repeat but it almost sounds like I'm in a room with a bit too much space and it's bouncing around, but I know this isn't true. I know about the fan sound, I'd remove that later and that isn't the problem, I'm using a USB soundcard and this is also not the issue as the mic plugged directly into the computer also has the same issue. I uninstalled realtek audio and still, the same issue persists.

Here's a small clip of my voice with the microphone as any "fix" I've looked at has not helped.

https://youtu.be/qOK3nudNOiI

You can hear it very clearly when I say the word "test" or say the letter S, it's almost as if the letter is hissing into the microphone, and no I don't think this is an issue where I need a pop filter.

Zer0Ctrl

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015

I have tried other microphones AS STATED in the OP post.

ikon21_21

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
After some thought I remembered a friend had a usb head set that gave him issues with echoing and so called "alien" voices. He bought the same head set that just plugged into the sound card and the issue went away. There might be some feedback or leakage occurring when using a usb type of connection. If at all possible have you tried plugging the Mic directly into a pci-e soundcard or MB soundcard?

Zer0Ctrl

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015

Your solution was not correct.

The issue was that VLC produced the echo noise, windows media player plays the recorded audio just fine. VLC was the issue.