Question microSD card stuck on Read-only

Feb 13, 2023
Hi there. I just bought this cheap microSD (Dakewei 32GB). It was in my phone connected to the pc (Dell Inspiron e1405), moving some files into the microSD. When done, disconnected the phone from pc and reconnected to see the files. None were there except some files in the first folder I was moving. From that point on, nothing would go in this card. I tried it on Ubuntu 14.04 and Win 7. On Ubuntu, creating a folder, moving a few files. They do appear in the microSD. But on re-plugging in the pc, the folder is no more there. On Ubuntu when the folder is created, it is initially indeed empty, but on Windows it contains some weird sub-folders/files of about 19GB. But on checking, the microSD size doesn't account for these 19GB. I ran it thru virus scanning, nothing. In either Windows or Ubuntu, trying to format/wipe the card didn't work. I was using MiniTool Partition Wizard (in Windows and bootable version). Nothing worked. I also used DiskPart to see the attributes of the card. But it was not Read-only as I thought. CHKDSK didn't work. Is there a way I can get this microSD card back or Is it gone?
Thanks for your time, Etonam.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
usually when it does this, it means the card is dead. i have never successfully brought one back from this state and that's using known name brand quality sd cards.

trying to go cheap on something that is already cheap is not that good of an idea really. if it so new, perhaps you can get a refund or exchange it through a warranty. if not, then it's just gone....