Microsoft’s Chakra JavaScript Engine Comes To Linux, macOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Trying to stay relevant by embracing other platforms since clearly Windows user base don't care about it, especially not Edge.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

bad if they do, bad if they don`t, you can never please people it seems :)

jackt

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I'd check for spyware and backdoors... Because of the microsoft decline there is a chance, if you ask me, that windows will become opensource and will fuse with linux. I think... I hope... Im sure that billy is at least thinking about it...

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Node-ChakraCore ... is a version of Node.js that replaces Google’s V8 JavaScript engine with ChakraCore,
This is it, IMO. MS wants to support Linux (on the cloud, at least), but doesn't want their Linux stack to have any Google pieces in it.

Maybe they're trying to pull an "embrace and extend" play, here. But I'm not sure that would fly, with something as mature and ubiquitous as JS. I'd probably take it at face value and regard it as a viable option.

The funny thing is Edge is a fast browser. It just needs add-on support. Oh yea, that comes with the update this month.

It is always a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" with Microsoft. A lot of their software is heavily tested by insiders and more recently they have even had non insiders testing it and giving feedback. Pretty much anyone could have used Windows 10 and given feedback well before release.

Instead they just complain and complain and complain.

Spyware? In a basic JS engine for a browser? I would expect that in Chrome since, well Google makes most of their money of ad revenue, but not for a JS engine that has been around since IE9.

And what does Bill have to do with it? He no longer controls where MS goes but has input. He focuses more on his charity.

Roryiscool

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
I'd check for spyware and backdoors... Because of the microsoft decline there is a chance, if you ask me, that windows will become opensource and will fuse with linux. I think... I hope... Im sure that billy is at least thinking about it...

@JACKT lmao haha

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
microsoft is on a never ending decline, people choose linux to get away from <mod edit> closed ecosystems,
no amount of technology / money will get people to come back

<Watch your language in these forums>

Kimonajane

Commendable
May 24, 2016
And if it is not open source so anyone can see their code bet money it has back doors in it for their overlords the fascist FED.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Wow, so much cynicism in this thread. It's just a Javascript engine, people. And it's open source, meaning anyone can read and modify the source code.

It would be a really dumb place for MS to try to hide backdoors, spyware, etc. If it had anything like that, it would be discovered pretty quickly and removed either from the trunk or someone would make a clean branch. And the bad PR would lose MS a lot of goodwill that they seem to be trying to earn, among developers.

I'm not here to defend MS Just try to be more informed. That's all.

The funny thing is that most of these people talking about backdoors and spyware are happily using their iPhones and Android devices that have plenty of data slurping going on.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

I want control of the os, something microsoft refuses to give me, and actively takes away control.
I don't want change for change's sake, i hate relearning how to use a damn os just because they want to appear to have changed everything.

So much crap microsoft is doing is adding just that extra layer of hate for the company, but because of linuxes massive problems with usability, apples even worse problem with walled gardening and making the os do what you want, people are effectively forced to use windows no matter how bad it gets, however sadly for me, most people can get by with a tablet or phone so they can jump ship to something else.

Normal people chose going to a phone instead of dealing with windows of macs, not linux. oh, and yes i know android is a linux branch, but it has none of the massive issues in usability that plague desktop versions.

what options do you realistically have if you want to use a computer but don't what to use a computer? you can go with just a non smartphone, but then you need a computer, you want to cut a computer out then you have to go with a smartphone, and there are what, android, ios, or fireos? and is the latter even still around?

If you consider what Microsoft did in 10 to change just for change sake then you need to look again. They are trying to evolve with the times. The desktop is not the only eco system that is used by the majority and their ideas are pretty interesting. They have been trying to get a similar experience across all devices and are even trying to make access to content you own work across all devices. For example if you have a XB1 game that is also on the PC you can play it on Windows 10 and even have access to your saves.

There is a lot of things that change and Microsoft needs to appeal to the masses not the minority. If you want "control" of your OS then you need to learn to use Linux because you can only give soo much control of an OS before people break things. Then they expect you to fix it.

Imagine if you built PCs for a living and gave a warranty. People decide to mod theri systems that end up damaging the system. They then expect you to take your time, which is money, to fix it. That is essentially how it is. Again if you want real control then learn to write and code in Linux.

And the phone thing is just an example of how two sided people are. To me it is laughable.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
That type of stuff is old, old news. Like Balmer-era old news. You're missing the complete sea change that's been happening since, which is their acceptance that:

■ Linux is the dominant cloud platform.
    ■ Android and iOS are the dominant mobile platforms.
    ■ No MS OS is going to displace any of these, in the foreseeable future.

That's why they're doing all of this stuff, like what the news article was actually about. They are trying to port/build their software stack on everybody else's platform, so they can still get a piece of the action.

In a way, they're actually trying to make the native platform irrelevant, by providing the same cloud & runtime environment everywhere.

1. Linux has been the dominant server based environment for quite a while, and yes Cloud computing is server based so it makes sense.

2. That is true but that doesn't mean things cannot change. Windows Mobile had the market for a very long time then came iOS. Then that was displaced by Android. It depends on if the new OS can meet the features people want.

3. See above. Things can always change.

I agree that they are trying to spread into a lot of things but as well they are also doing things Apple is not doing, however they are copying Microsoft. Look at the Surface Pro. Had a pen and was designed to be a professional/power users tablet with laptop features. Now there is the iPad Pro. Has a pen and is designed to be the professional/power users iPad. It even has its own keyboard like the Surface.

I think if Microsoft can get more apps in Windows Mobile they will easily scoop up some of the market share. Most people who I know who have Windows Phone love it just hate the lack of apps. In fact my wife drowned her HTC One M8 Windows Phone and was complaining about a feature that she no longer has in Android that her Windows Phone did. Again Microsoft is trying to change that by making it easy to port then making that same code run on all Windows environments, let me know when an iOS app runs on Mac OSX.

I guess we will see down the road but I don't think it is as easy as saying nothing will change.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

you are looking at added functionality and calling it change for change sake
i am looking at menus changing where things are located, being there or not being there anymore, if i remember right the control panel from xp to 7 was completely different unless you turned some crap off.
what i talk about with control is when you have an option that says 'don't phone home' i expect it to be a real option, not something you click and the os says eff you ill do it anyway.
i want to not install the updates, no, stop forcing me to install them, stop shutting my pc down to install it while im doing crap.

I have one pc with win 10 on it, and i despise it.
I will use windows 7 till the day the hardware can no longer support and function.

I want windows 7, hell, ill pay you to update the os, ill give you the 100$ you want just so i can keep using this.
hell i would have done the same for windows xp too...

Menus change. What about the added functionality of right clicking the Start Button (since 8) and getting access to tons of extra admin tools without having to go through the menus?

Or the much easier and faster search that makes it easy to find and access any app without having to go through the Start Menu/screen?

Some things change and it sucks but sometimes you have to move on. I can tell you it happened from DOS to Windows NT/95 and it happened from 98SE to 2K then 2K to XP etc. People hate change and want to stick with their old stuff that they know.

And the control panel since XP has always had the category view and you have the option to change it back to a list view with small or large icons. XP is always put on this mighty pedestal but on launch it was buggy, had tons of driver and software issues and wasn't a truly good OS until SP2. And even then it looked so... child like now that I look at it.

As for the "phone home" feature, it has been in Windows ever since the update program was built into XP. It "phones home" to check for updates.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
"Hang in there & hope for the best" is not a strategy.

Have you seen any recent sales numbers for Windows phones? There's a reason MS keeps cutting more Nokia staff. They cannot sell the things. And even if they did, they wouldn't sell at a price that would enable MS to replace the revenue they're losing with their desktop business.

Even Surface is not selling anywhere close to the volumes MS needs. No matter if it has a few advantages over the competition, people just aren't buying enough.

Even trying to squeeze more revenue out of desktop Windows users (e.g. through spyware and a subscription model) isn't going to do the trick.

So, what you're seeing is a shift in business models. Instead of trying to make like $100 per phone, like the good 'ol PC days, MS is trying the App/content Store model and to sell cloud services. And to do that, they don't even need their own OS. It would be an easier sell if they did have a dominant position in the OS market, but they aren't hopeless optimists like you appear to be. What they need, and ASAP, is a massive market. They only way to build that market is to address current Android & iOS users.

So, their selling point to developers is: use MS' software stack and we'll bring you to all platforms. They need this to work, and quickly. Or else you're going to be seeing lots more MS layoffs, in the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.