Microsoft’s Windows 10 Apps Grab Continues: Win32 And .NET Converter, Xamarin For Mobile, And Bash

Status
Not open for further replies.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Of course Microsoft wants developers to convert Win32/.net apps to UWA because UWA and the Microsoft exclusive storefront gives Microsoft a 30% of the developers revenue for UWA apps.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Of course Microsoft wants developers to convert Win32/.net apps to UWA because UWA and the Microsoft exclusive storefront gives Microsoft a 30% of the developers revenue for UWA apps.
That`s because their primary income from now on for Windows will come from the Store. I`m pretty sure the Win10 for free will remain or comeback later on. Hence the need to "spy" on you to server the user adds, you know.. just like Google or Apple does. Also they gather usage data for future stability updates, but paranoic people are everywhere.

Also the Store is a much safer way to install apps, Win32 applications are plagued by the possibility to install them from dodgy sites and thus have viruses, with all apps coming from the store they will remove the most problematic issue with Windows so far.. viruses.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Why do people keep saying Win10 is free? It is not free. If you do not have a valid Windows 7 or 8 license key you must pay for a Windows 10 license key.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Nope, not going to Win10...

Win7 is the new XP.

And seriously, I have had so many problems with the thing from new install "Boot Loops", to extremely important software packages going belly up, productivity dropping because users can't run the UI effeciently and EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN.

Just say NO to Win10...

Oh, and the thing reports more info home to MS too....

G

Windows 10, not touching that abomination ever. Windows 7 owns it in every way.

Owen O

Reputable
Mar 31, 2016
I reluctantly after years switched from windows 7 to 10, I run a couple of pc, one for gaming and one for work and it was only after a very positive experience from the gaming one did I decide to switch both.

Not regretting the switch, change is something that comes hard for me as I'm a creature of habit, and my limited experience of windows 8 led me to bin it completely and move back to 7.. But hands up here, I can say I enjoy windows 10

Owen O

Reputable
Mar 31, 2016
I reluctantly after years switched from windows 7 to 10, I run a couple of pc, one for gaming and one for work and it was only after a very positive experience from the gaming one did I decide to switch both.

Not regretting the switch, change is something that comes hard for me as I'm a creature of habit, and my limited experience of windows 8 led me to bin it completely and move back to 7.. But hands up here, I can say I enjoy windows 10

Owen O

Reputable
Mar 31, 2016

Kiril_Petkov

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
The new Windows will always have too many bugs when they are release, just wait to so call "SP1" to see if most of them will be fix before install it. There is no point for you to lose time and cracking KB to discover the problem is in OS bug or something like that. Both XP and Win 7 wasn't that good when they was release so patience even Win 10 is crap we can always go to Linux if MS force us.

chriz78

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
I switched to Windows 10 because of performance and better app compatibility, but I am not a fan of the live tiles and the "metro" style of the new apps and Windows 8/10. I really think Microsoft is going in the wrong direction with Windows, but I know lots of people on here will disagree. I do know that the majority of users do not care about features like windows Hello, Cortana, pens or touch screens.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
so... in other words they are trying very hard to become like the Apple store,
they are trying to lock all apps for Windows to their store and get 30% revenue, well good luck with that it's never going to work,

G

Win32 games on Windows Phone won't happen cause phone has no power to run them.

rayden54

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Project Centennial doesn't happen to work in reverse does it (from Win32 to UWA)? That sounds like it'd be far more useful from a development standpoint especially with Xamarin in the mix.

Make one UWA and then port it to Win32, Android, and OSX. Right now it still seems like you need to develop your app twice: once for UWS, Android, and OSX and again for Win32.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Project Centennial doesn't happen to work in reverse does it (from Win32 to UWA)? That sounds like it'd be far more useful from a development standpoint especially with Xamarin in the mix.

Make one UWA and then port it to Win32, Android, and OSX. Right now it still seems like you need to develop your app twice: once for UWS, Android, and OSX and again for Win32.

Microsoft wants to kill off Win32/.Net

rayden54

Honorable
May 14, 2013
They can want to all they want. Windows 7 still has a larger market share than Win 10. It'd be stupid for companies to neglect that market.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Win32 games on Windows Phone won't happen cause phone has no power to run them.

Win32 apps recompiled into UWA won't run on phones because phones lack a keyboard and mouse.

It's up to the dev to add (or not add) touch input, controller input, small screen UI mode, etc. There's no single answer here, some programs even after conversion will remain strictly desktop-friendly, and others will be adapted to more platforms. Again, it's all in the hands of those who own the code.

But just having the option is nice, as it is easier for those who are NOT tech savvy to find and download apps from the store safely than to have them navigating websites looking for stuff. The Windows Store is great, cuts down on my tech support time for family members.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
They can want to all they want. Windows 7 still has a larger market share than Win 10. It'd be stupid for companies to neglect that market.

Give it a few years and Win 7 will go the way of Win XP a lot faster than XP did. All it will take is not support new hardware which Microsoft has said it is going to do.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

Yep, and when that happens linux/macos is gonna get popular in a big way...

Status
Not open for further replies.