Microsoft Advises You Not To Manually Install The Windows 10 Creators Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Anyone who had a problem with their stupid WU came to me and i fixed their computers by manually installing this Update by booting their computer from USB and doing format -> clean install. MS. doesn't know what they are talking about...they should fix WU and Windows Update process in general before they say anything else stupid.

nielslauritzen

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
I also upgraded 5 standard issue HP laptops and desktops using the upgrade utility with no problems whatsoever. If the only reason they are delaying their invitations to upgrade is to deliver a better "1st run experience" than poo-poo to that. The 1st run experience I got was perfectly efficient and comprehensible. MSFT needs to learn about psychology and being polite. Folks despise waiting at a train platform for an unknown amount of time for a train to arrive. You must publish a schedule and folks must be able to look up when the next arrival will occur. If you do not then you are disrespecting them.

Valantar

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014

Wow, I'm glad neither I nor anyone I know will ever have to go to you for tech support.
-"Hi, I have an issue installing this update."
-"Sure, I can fix that, just let me delete all of your data first."

Bill P

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Haven't had any major problems installing and running Windows 10 CU. It is stable and responsive. Sounds like Microsoft's auto update is causing the problems.

Nietslauritzen,
I don't think you grasp what is going on. Microsoft has early adopters, then rollout on a schedule that varies depending on what issues they find. As said, Bluetooth issues were found so if it detects problematic hardware it delays the update.

You want Microsoft to create specific DATES for all the different rollout dates? Even if that was easy to do, I don't think the average person would care that much. If you were in the know enough to care then they had a download version already, and if not then so what?

KingAndy

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Oh, thanks MS! But wait... no <mod edit> Anyone who manually installs the update is almost surely aware there might be incompatibility issues with it, because either have read how to do it on some website that will always make reference to that, or if one is smart enough to do that by himself, then will also be aware of that as well.

But, of course, I'm sure anyone that after all this time anyone who'd want to manually install the update have already done so, therefore this advice is like telling your friend he'll screw up if he does something a week later after he does it.

<You've been a member here long enough to know better than to use that language in the forums>

ravinmachine

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
More like they found an issue with the spyware not installing correctly with the manual update and they are trying to blame it on something else lol.

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
The creator update has done nothing but create problems. They tweak stuff that does need tweaking. The icon spacing is messed up on the desktop, whereas before it was fine allowed for that extra final row of icons. The "photos app" now messes up the icons in the file list, as in the icons just go missing the file explorer when you are using a list/detail view. It lost my color calibration icc for my monitor making me have to redo the color calibration. The lost all the existing default setting for apps, file types, etc. so you have to go set them all again. There is probably more land mines to be discovered. The thing is wtf does Microsoft gain by messing with stuff that was working and it had no need or justification for messing with!? It is a major nuisance to figure out what other things they messed up.

Ken_93

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
Manually updated the day after 1703 was supposed to be available through Windows Update. As they said on the website, "You don't have to wait!" It started with a problem with Virtualbox and a host adapter. Led to other things. After a couple days of chkdsk, bad block scanning, dism, sfc, msdt, virus checks, regedit, refresh, reset, etc., etc., etc., I decided to do a reformat, reinstall 1703, reinstall programs, and recover work from backups. Yes, the Reset Windows/keeping personal files did not work. I was going to do a Reset/delete personal files, but after it asked if I wanted to nuke all the many TB of data on my other drives in the machine (no kidding, MS??), I lost all confidence in MS and Windows Update. All the issues I saw are now gone.

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
loaded 4 already no issues using creaters update a bit buggy with certains apps till the machines get warm but run a lot smoothergot another to do soon tho most my 10 Pro machines in the house about 5 running 10 Pro had no issues apart from gets stuck getting into settings & a bit of desktkop start bar lag but oh well gaming is a lot better just nvidia been a bit iffy tho that be another story.

michaelzehr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I intentionally installed mine early to be a guinea pig for a group of users. (Not in an official IT capacity.) I found minor inconveniences (privacy settings, file type associations, losing recent app list, things like that). After testing some things I advised people to delay if possible, but to manually install if they wanted to avoid windows updating during a specific time frame (since this last one could take a while).

I would really hope that if they have ceased automatic rollout based on some hardware configurations then the update assistant would check for those. I also frown on the idea that the experience is different between the automatic and manual install -- how would I create instructions, screen shots, test, etc.?

I get that we're getting these updates for free, but I fit in between an IT support desk with resources and group policy, and someone who wants to set everything on automatic... and their process changes are making things more of a challenge for me.

alextheblue

Distinguished

In order to manually update, users have to seek out the manual updater software, download it, and run it. It's got a scary dialog and everything. Seriously, if someone is forcing a manual update they shouldn't need instructions or guidance. I did mine as soon as it was available.

Note: If you have a user with a HP laptop with a Synaptics fingerprint reader, and the reader misbehaves with CU: You may need to murder the drivers for it, potentially use a driver cleaner, and install the latest Synaptics fingerprint reader drivers - you can get newer ones from Lenovo for the same devices, for example. HP always seems to offer badly outdated drivers and is slow to vet/update even in the face of a problem.

ZetaOne

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
Remind me again why they provide an update assistant that is freely a available and they said to anyone they could use it a week early to update? Not only, when you buy a new computer it often is loaded with the first release of windows 10 and, in my experience, if you don't use that tool you may have many problems updating.
So why is Microsoft telling us only now not to use it? My guess would be that they have spoken to their lawyers and are getting ready to being sewed.

michaelzehr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008

Well of course. But having gone through that (and no, I didn't need instructions or guidance), as far as I can tell there was no way to duplicate what someone would see if they waited. Also, as far as I can tell even though MS has a "decide what systems are ready" there was no way to run that manually and then decide whether to do a manual install or not. (Though I didn't spend time trying to figure that out because I had already done the early update.)

This wasn't about the risks I took doing an early install.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

Not sure about you, but from my experiance standard operating procedure for any tech support is format everything and clean install, the user is most likely a moron if they needed to come to you in the first place and the system is going to be infested with malware.

Some places offer data transfer, and as I later found out, just mirror over every drive they format to a central server for a few months, so if you come back to them later saying you needed a file they deleted, they can 'recover' it for an exorbitant price.

If I had to tech support someone's computer, I would format after backup, for my personal computers, I always replace the boot drive and never format.

Status
Not open for further replies.