Microsoft Against Carrying Both Tablet And Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I think that if we truly live in a society whose most terrifying plight is that we obligate ourselves to carry a laptop and a tablet (and a smartphone), then we don't need a solution; we need to change our habits and decide what we want, especially since, for 99% of users, the usage scenario is "facebook, email, and the occasional youtube video".

All that said, I still cringe when I read "apps for the desktop". I do not have a phone nailed to my tower. I do not get fingerprints all over my monitor by touching and swiping it. It's a desktop, and it runs "programs".

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
The only use i would have for a tablet is to watch youtube or The Big Bang Theory episodes in bed. Other than that, tablets do not have the necessities or power a home built rig (desktop) has for me.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
LeBlonde didn't mention that the people carrying both will have a smart phone stuffed in a pocket, too.

Makes no sense to me that someone would actually carry both (and I have no doubt there are many who do), and it totally flies in the face of those people who think having a tiny computing device is a necessity.

;)

[citation][nom]Estix[/nom]All that said, I still cringe when I read "apps for the desktop". I do not have a phone nailed to my tower. I do not get fingerprints all over my monitor by touching and swiping it. It's a desktop, and it runs "programs".[/citation]
You realize that the term application has been around a lot longer than smartphones and tablets. I realize you use app a lot in relation to those, but many IT people have called what you consider a program, an application for decades.

G

I carry both so what. I have my 17" gaming laptop in my backpack and I keep my asus prime in there too. It depends what you use your tablet for. I take it to work and use it for work orders and at home I plug in the hdmi to my tv and stream movies and my laptop is free to use. Sometimes I don't want to take my laptop out to just check email or read the news and then I have my tablet.

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]You realize that the term application has been around a lot longer than smartphones and tablets. I realize you use app a lot in relation to those, but many IT people have called what you consider a program, an application for decades.[/citation]

I do realize that, of course.

"Application" has been around for decades, but "app" started with the iPhone. The point is that the term is now back-ported from phones, hence "apps for the desktop". Essentially, the phone term now has preference, and "apps for the desktop" implies that "A desktop can be as useful and fun as a phone!", which most of us would find a rather ridiculous (or even insulting) statement, but is exactly the intent of the phrase.

[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Of course you don't need a laptop and a tablet... that's why I don't understand why tablets exist at all outside of the iFlock.[/citation]
I can understand your view. I see the tablet as more of an entertainment device, though it does have some decent applications in the professional world as well, but I do see some real potential in these hybrids, that have an attachable keyboard. You can detach it and use it for reading and browsing, then attach a keyboard and use it for work.

[citation][nom]Estix[/nom]I do realize that, of course. "Application" has been around for decades, but "app" started with the iPhone. The point is that the term is now back-ported from phones, hence "apps for the desktop". Essentially, the phone term now has preference, and "apps for the desktop" implies that "A desktop can be as useful and fun as a phone!", which most of us would find a rather ridiculous (or even insulting) statement, but is exactly the intent of the phrase.[/citation]

I'm not sure that was the intent. I personally thought he was trying to make a point that there are "apps for the desktop" that are very important. I assumed those meant business apps, and things like Office, power point, database apps. Perhaps you have just gotten so used to apps being flung around when talking about these light weight things on tablets and phones, that it now has a different meaning to you. Perhaps I'm wrong in what he meant, but reading it again, I'm pretty sure he wasn't meaning it as you took it.

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom][/citation]

I agree re: his intent with saying it. I suppose I could have said "the implication of the phrase"? I'm explaining my thoughts to you, not arguing semantics :p

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I disagree with Microsoft about software being the problem. For me it's definitely hardware. No machine available today has the screen resolution, performance, and battery life that I want. The Surface Pro may be the first one, but we'll have to see how good that pen input is. If it's not a Wacom active digitizer I'm not interested because it won't be as good as my Android tablet or my 2007-era tablet PC.

I know Microsoft is saying all this to promote their Windows 8 OS. That's not the type of software I would have designed for a Windows tablet. There are simple things that could have been done to Aero to make it more touch-friendly.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Of course you don't need a laptop and a tablet... that's why I don't understand why tablets exist at all outside of the iFlock.[/citation]

Different uses and portability.

I do not want a laptop while reading (browsing) in my bed, tablet does just great. A lot easier to kill time at the mall with a tablet while the wife shops then bringing a friggen laptop around.

You may not a use for it, or justification to pay for how much a tablet costs. But trust me, there's millions and millions of people across the globe that do. And this is quite evident in the sales.

Considering I used to pay $2000 for a desktop (in the 90's, not adjusted for inflation, it would be like $3000 in today's dollars) I get a laptop and tablet for less, that's amazing progress in my books.

[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Different uses and portability.I do not want a laptop while reading (browsing) in my bed, tablet does just great. A lot easier to kill time at the mall with a tablet while the wife shops then bringing a friggen laptop around.You may not a use for it, or justification to pay for how much a tablet costs. But trust me, there's millions and millions of people across the globe that do. And this is quite evident in the sales.Considering I used to pay $2000 for a desktop (in the 90's, not adjusted for inflation, it would be like $3000 in today's dollars) I get a laptop and tablet for less, that's amazing progress in my books.[/citation]
I myself don't want one, or need one, but I can see uses, but I'd never take one to the mall. I'd kill time on my smartphone instead. Lugging a tablet around is still annoying, but I agree it would be good for reading and just some random browsing while on the couch, then again, I know I'd avoid getting one because that means I'd become too ADD.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]You realize that the term application has been around a lot longer than smartphones and tablets. I realize you use app a lot in relation to those, but many IT people have called what you consider a program, an application for decades.[/citation]

apps for desktop... all i can think of when i hear that is unprofessional crap i wouldn't pay money for. think if the what, 100k something apps for the ipad, and how many of them that arent games would you be willing to pay for if they were on a computer.

i think they are fearing the oncoming glut of useless crap instead of the term itself.

---------------------------

here you want to make a tablet that will grab everyone?

make it a laptop, an ultra thin one.
make it powerfull
get a wacom monitor, and a reversible screen, or a detachable screen.
and make the thing go metro only when its turned to be a tablet, not when desktop (barring certain programs like photoshop or other drawing applications)

and put some real marketing behind it.
get intel to stop dicking around with the hardware cost
or give amd some financial help and put it twards a smaller nm on the processor.

there, you have a desktop environment
you have touch controls with metro when its approperate
and you have the best penable display possible, good enough for art students, and most people who are in it for a laptop would get it just because of the power.

Scar89

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]make it a laptop, an ultra thin one.
make it powerfull
get a wacom monitor, and a reversible screen, or a detachable screen.
and make the thing go metro only when its turned to be a tablet, not when desktop (barring certain programs like photoshop or other drawing applications) [/citation]
This,
Except I hope we get Trinity's in some of them. Should be better than the low power core 2 duo in my HP tm2t and better or on par with the mobile Ati 4550.

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

BigMack, have you no imagination? I find my tablet absolutely invaluable even though I only have one use for it. When I'm sitting on the toilet I can log into my desktop and watch my torrents pouring in. Ah, the magic of technology. :-D

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]I can understand your view. I see the tablet as more of an entertainment device, though it does have some decent applications in the professional world as well, but I do see some real potential in these hybrids, that have an attachable keyboard. You can detach it and use it for reading and browsing, then attach a keyboard and use it for work.[/citation]

You can attach a bluetooth keyboard to a lot of smart phones and tablets

ivan1973

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Microsoft assumed that they have solve the greatest problem in the world. There wasn't any problem in the first place. Long before the ipad, Microsoft already have tablets (with crapy OS). They didn't go further to improve it. iPad wasn't exactly a laptop replacement either since its a lifestyle product. Microsoft simply didn't understand the way people should be doing things and that's why they are not making things to improve life of people.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Scar89[/nom]This,Except I hope we get Trinity's in some of them. Should be better than the low power core 2 duo in my HP tm2t and better or on par with the mobile Ati 4550.[/citation]

the only major point that amd sucks a bit is the power used for power used.... intel gets more done per clock, at lower power use than amd.

short of building a whole new architecture, the only way power is going lower is if the nm s lowered too. so even if intel is faster the power saved would be great enough to advertise it above intel.

and with a wacom screen, i am seriously doubting that a 1920x1200 screen really costs what 2500$ to make. im thinking that it is a MASSIVE price gouge because they hold the patents.

get them to realize that they stand to make more through volume than they do through serious pro only that they have right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.