Microsoft Announces First Ever Quarterly Loss

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]The fact that Windows 8 is coming means stale sales and more trouble for Microsoft. lol[/citation]
how do you figure?

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
For the dumb... MS basically made a profit of 5.5 billion, but then wrote off a 6 billion acquisition which was done years ago and which supposedly never panned out (if they did get anything out of it the IRS ain't going to know about it anyway). So things aren't bad in MS land.

And I look forward to the 40 dollar upgrade option this fall. I am going to give W8 a go despite the negative press. It might have some suckage, but overall I am glad to have something new to work with. It has been a long time..........

G

"...including WP sales (surprising considering how many of us are waiting for WP8)"

Actually, this is probably the mobile division, most of that is probably from patent deals with hardware manufacturers which sell lots and lots of Android.

hannibal

Distinguished
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]L I'd like to see Win8 totally fail and Microsoft be so damn stupid that they continue metro into Win9... that would be funny as hell. At that point, the bottom would fall out.[/citation]

Ofcource they are going to use Metro in win9. There is no doupt from it. The whole MS aplication shop system will be beased on Metro aplications. I am guite sure that MS know that win 8 will not be huge succes in desktop computers, but I supose that they don't care. The win 8 is their forst combined platform and in decktop usage it is "pipecleaner".
After a couple of years of preinstalled win8 macnines, there is no going back. I am guite sure allso that win9 will come guite near (2-3 years) after win8. The win8 offers allready some things that win7 does not (not so many that there is any real reason to upgrade though), and win9 will have more. Some of the guite usefull, like new disk operation system. They most propably allso tweak the Metro interface based on user experience. So some things are going to chance in Metro, but all in all it is going to stay at leas win8, win9, win10. After that maybe some face lift or new jump to the gun. Who knows?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]For the dumb... MS basically made a profit of 5.5 billion, but then wrote off a 6 billion acquisition which was done years ago and which supposedly never panned out (if they did get anything out of it the IRS ain't going to know about it anyway). So things aren't bad in MS land.And I look forward to the 40 dollar upgrade option this fall. I am going to give W8 a go despite the negative press. It might have some suckage, but overall I am glad to have something new to work with. It has been a long time..........[/citation]
very true...

Even though it might show Microsoft suffer a loss, they did not since the losses are write-downs from acquisitions (Yammer, Perceptive Pixel, etc).
Things might get worse, since they are taking forever to release competitive tablets to rival Apple and Google.

[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]May Windows8 cause Microsoft many many more quarterly losses... I'll be a $1 they will.At $30 a share... they are no where near Apple's $604~640 a share.If I was an investor, I'd sell my MS stock and buy some Apple stock before the iPhone 5 hits the street.[/citation]

Glad to see that you, like so many others here, actually know what you're talking about. Oh wait, you forget that how much a stock costs doesn't really matter. How that stock's price changes is what matters as somone who uses the stock market for income. I'm not an expert in that, but I'm not so stupid to think that you know anything about investing after reading a comment like this.

MS is doing fine and although Balmer seems to be an idiot, they are a company that can survive in many ways. Windows might be surprisingly non-profitable at this time, but that will change. Considering that not only is Linux and OSX market share growing and every version of Windows is bound to get fewer and fewer adopters as people stick with older platforms (heck, XP is still at something like 45% OS market penetration globally, isn't it?), it's no surprise that Windows is slowly dropping in profitability. I'm surprised that people are surprised about this happening.

What happens to an OS line when each consecutive OS has people that stick with it for years? Unless the amount of people buying new computers for the first time can outpace the amount of people sticking with older versions of Windows, profitability of this OS line will drop because it's now relying more on preexisting customers to retain profitability. Most people only upgrade so often, so of course profitability is dropping.

[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Like vista over 7? Windows7 has features that vista doesn't have. Vista functions very much like XP, with a different skin.Actually... I'd like to see Win8 totally fail and Microsoft be so damn stupid that they continue metro into Win9... that would be funny as hell. At that point, the bottom would fall out.I'm betting that SP1 will be released around March/April which gives the user a Metro Option and replace the Win7 style Start Menu and perhaps de-uglyfy the Win8 skin back to Win8 PR. version 8440 or at least Win7. I think 8440 skin looks great... cleaner than Win7, less detracting without the ugly metro look.[/citation]

Vista is much more like Windows 7 than it is like XP, both under the hood and in the UI.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Microsoft's marketing team is mostly responsible for the Xbox division's success. They are technically the biggest ripoff of all 3 console makers if you do the math. But I suppose that's subjective from a fun perspective. Odd how polarizing the causes of sales success can be.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Visually, you are correct... operationally, vista changed nothing (other than the start menu stays inside its block) Vista's task bar is no different than XPs. Not including the change of "Start" to the semi-circle Start button. In win7, they made the task bar thicker. The gestures with the windows in Win7 are nice... throws me off when I use an XP system. :)

Win7 added Pinning functions, jump lists, show desktop, etc.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]I'm not sure i'm not confused by the article. Was there a loss or wasn't there?[/citation]

No actual loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.