News Microsoft Announces Windows 11

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2021
<"What's incredible about this open hardware ecosystem is that it brings you choice">

Really!!! all I see is a shrinking list of features you have a choice about having or not, or configure to your personal preferences and style.

<"Internet connectivity and an MS account. No offline installs.>

No offline installs??? So much for the computer at the cottage... you lost me. Looks like 10 is going to be staying longer for me. Choice my backside!

Loadedaxe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2016
TPM 2.0 is going to kill Windows 11 getting on too many machines. Most people have no clue what it is, where to get it, how to install it etc. Unless they remove that requirement, most wont bother, people arent going to go buy a new PC just to get W11

D

Deleted member 2783327

Junk. Nothing compelling. More and more focus on mobile computing whilst serious desktop users are left behind. Expected I suppose.

zigonneux

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I checked and this motherboard is compatible with TPM 2.0
Thanks for the info. I checked on the motherboard and it didn't have a TPM device installed. But I enabled TPM in the bios and now my rig is compatible with Windows 11. Thanks for your help guys ! (y)

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I expect to install it, press the windows key and launch Excel/Word/other software and carry on working. That was the same with 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.

Nothing to complain about, but hopefully something to like. Either way, we will all be able to continue to game, work and use our devices. Anything else is just moaning and bitching for no reason at all.

MS has to do SOMETHING. Damned if they do...

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
One of Microsoft's dirty secrets is that any engineer with talent, motivation, or experience gets moved off of Windows and onto Azure, because that's where the money is.
As far as I know, the primary development team on Windows is a mix of cynical business executives chasing "dat google money", graphic artists who work on a mac whenever possible, and a bunch of new software engineers/interns who likely got through college without a firm understanding of what an OS is even supposed to be doing behind the scenes.

So I have no faith that Windows 11 will be an improvement, or any good in general.
I expect more bloat, more spyware, more bugs, less user control, and an even slower "form over function" interface.
I think we are going to get an OS that wants to be a Chrome knockoff, looks like Mac knockoff, and runs like the same recycled Vista core that they're still stuck on.

It's amazing to me that a company with Total market dominance looks at their competition's shortfalls and unironically says "if you can't beat em, join em" or "if it ain't broke, change everything".
Some interface designer over there needs to that a step back and really examine why anybody still uses PC when the big hardware partners (dell/hp) keep pumping out barely-functional crap and the file system is still terrible at managing files. I believe it to be the mix of an efficient workflow and gaming, but mostly habit.

Have you used Windows 11 yet? Probably not. Until YOU use it... there's not much to say.

As for Touch... Even if YOU don't like it, MS has to do something to appease Touch lovers. Tablets and mobiles are king.

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
<"What's incredible about this open hardware ecosystem is that it brings you choice">

Really!!! all I see is a shrinking list of features you have a choice about having or not, or configure to your personal preferences and style.

<"Internet connectivity and an MS account. No offline installs.>

No offline installs??? So much for the computer at the cottage... you lost me. Looks like 10 is going to be staying longer for me. Choice my backside!

Windows 8: "Wahhh, I'm sticking with Windows 7!"
Windows 10: "Wahhh, I'm sticking with Windows 7!"
Windows 11: Wahh, I'm sticking with Windows 10!"

Same old, same old. Blah, blah and blah. Boring. Have you even used Windows 11 yet?? Just install, log in using an account and then create a local account. Done. Hopefully easy. We don't know until we HAVE the OS.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Windows 8: "Wahhh, I'm sticking with Windows 7!"
Windows 10: "Wahhh, I'm sticking with Windows 7!"
Windows 11: Wahh, I'm sticking with Windows 10!"

Same old, same old. Blah, blah and blah. Boring. Have you even used Windows 11 yet?? Just install, log in using an account and then create a local account. Done. Hopefully easy. We don't know until we HAVE the OS.
It's the same with MacOS. There are users on other Mac websites who will trash the new OS and when the next OS is release, they sing the praises of the OS they had trashed, rinse and repeat. Human nature never changes. The Windows 11 scheme is pretty much what I eventually expected seeing Windows is now a service. As such Microsoft can do as they please and if a user doesn't like it, well they can use something else.

I will miss Live Tiles though, as that has been a favorite of mine since Windows 8.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Didn't they try this with 8? This feels like a reworked 8 release...
Typically Microsoft tries something new with every other release. They see how it's accepted or panned. They make changes if their ideas don't work i.e. Windows 8.1. Then the next version of Windows i.e. Windows 10 streamlines those ideas and removes what didn't work.

I personally liked the idea of Windows 8 even though the UI was a mess in certain areas to put it mildly. Windows 10 appeased the natives and corrected some of the mistakes made with Windows 8. I expect a similar approach with Windows 11.

lyrx

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2015
Every other Windows release since Win 98 has been a dog. Windows 11 is an "every other" Windows release. I'm not wasting time and effort being an MS guinea pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.