Microsoft Auto-Scheduling Windows 10 Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
Two weeks ago, my mother called me to ask what this Windows Update thing was about. I didn't quite catch what she told me, told her to close the window and that I'd come to have a look tomorrow. When I got there on the next day, the upgrade had already gone through.

Color me greatly annoyed - and glad that I disabled Windows Updates altogether on my PC a few months ago.

At least it does not appear to have broken anything.

voreo

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I really don't see why people dont wanna upgrade, doesnt installing in compatibility mode render a majority of incompatibilities null?

Blinken

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
Theres been almost a year of articles warning about automatic updates doing this. If you weren't scrutinizing your monthly updates then ya, you're going to get it. Maybe try something like:
http://betanews.com/2016/03/27/never-10/

InvalidError

Titan

Each time Microsoft changes the update's classification, it resets the ignore flag. I had to uninstall and re-hide it three times on my PC.

@vorero
Because not all systems are 100% win 10 compatible. Lots of computers, especially laptops with original firmware and older Intel chips, break after the install. Even for those where it is compatible, the upgrade process is not great, where a fresh install works perfectly. The thing is, people who read this site can figure it out and either fix it to make it work, or get things back the way they were. But people in general? Man, they are hosed and this is a class action lawsuit just waiting to happen.

Thing is, I LOVE windows 10, and would love to see it everywhere! Especially the changes coming in the summer update! But even I understand that this is a Terrible idea, and MS needs to knock it off.

"The operating system is capable of gathering your search history, web usage, Windows Store usage, details of what applications you use, voice recordings, emails, geographic information and just about anything else that is on your PC."

This is way I don't care about W10, make it far less invasive and I'll gladly upgrade to it.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I really don't see why people dont wanna upgrade, doesnt installing in compatibility mode render a majority of incompatibilities null?

Trash UI compared to Win7/8.1 (compare the list of installed updates for example - space-wasting and useless), privacy concerns, forced updates without ability to defer them on Ethernet, and most importantly - nothing new offered to power users with already-decent configurations (SSD). DX12 and WDDM 2.0 are the only things that will make me tolerate it on my next laptop since I want the ability to use an external GPU dock, but my current devices will not be allowed to upgrade.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Main reason they're doing it: To avoid another XP situation where they have to keep supporting older OS's past their prime. In other words, they want everyone on one OS, not three or more once 7 support stops.

lordsnake

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Ah the conspiracy theory nuts are at it again. To those of you who have disabled windows update, I hope you are a very savvy and secure computer guru, if not, it is only a matter of time before you get infected with malware, there is a very good reason why windows needs security updates.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
At one time the tin foil hat nuts didn't want any of that newfangled, invasive electricity in their homes either. That electricity was the magic of demons and was created so the government could take yer goons away.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Funny how they advertise it with "300 million people have already upgraded".
I just came to think about when Sadam Hussein was getting 99% of the votes in the Iraqi elecctions back in the days...

valarmorghulis0

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
I can't see why some wrongheaded commenters don't understand that Microsoft is removing ownership of the user's data from the user, undoubtedly without their knowledge or consent in many cases. How is it that these apologists don't care about data privacy and don't mind Microsoft injecting advertising directly into their OS?

How is it that they don't understand that OPTIONAL WIndows updates are not security-related and are completely unnecessary (by definition), yet MS wants to force them onto users? How is that a good thing?

How is it that fanboi sycophants fail to realize that Win10 will forcefully break legacy software, accidentally break current software, and remove whatever programs it chooses without any input from the user? How is that a good thing?

Congratulations Windows 10 users. You no longer have control over your PC.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I google every update now before installing it. Never seen a win 10 update yet. Much better then having to role it back.

Also I got over 500 games & programs installed. I'd be scared to upgrade with that much baggage.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
The only wisdom on Microsoft's part is Enterprise and Volume License folks won't be affected by this. Can you imagine if PCs at corporations get switched over to Windows 10 without their permission? I can see lawsuits!

See, that's the problem. If you disable automatic updates, you become vulnerable to programs which take over your computer, reduce the control you have over your PC, steal your personal info, and report your browsing and usage behavior back to the malware's author.

But with the way Microsoft is pushing Windows 10, if you enable automatic updates, you become vulnerable to a program which takes over your computer, reduces the control you have over your PC, steals your personal info, and reponrts your browsing and usage behavior back to Microsoft.

BwwwJ1st

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
I can't see why some wrongheaded commenters don't understand that Microsoft is removing ownership of the user's data from the user, undoubtedly without their knowledge or consent in many cases. How is it that these apologists don't care about data privacy and don't mind Microsoft injecting advertising directly into their OS?

How is it that they don't understand that OPTIONAL WIndows updates are not security-related and are completely unnecessary (by definition), yet MS wants to force them onto users? How is that a good thing?

How is it that fanboi sycophants fail to realize that Win10 will forcefully break legacy software, accidentally break current software, and remove whatever programs it chooses without any input from the user? How is that a good thing?

Congratulations Windows 10 users. You no longer have control over your PC.
+1... If I wanted blind updates installed on a computer for "security" concerns I would by a Mac!

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Just replaced a broken screen on a laptop. This was originally a Win8.1 system but now had Win10, probably from an automatic update. While checking app updates I discovered that F-Secure wasn't functional, probably due to the Win10 update. I scanned the system offline with BitDefender but it only had one minor adware/search hijacker in Chrome. Got lucky this time. I reinstalled F-Secure and left Win10 on there but have a Win8.1 backup handy in case there are more problems.

This has been going on a at least a few weeks now. I have been getting calls from clients asking how to stop it and a couple had me go in and undo the upgrade.

I tell them that if they want Windows 10, just be sure to do a "Custom install" instead of express and turn off all the advertising and info gathering crap. I've done a couple of the upgrades for them, but the majority of the calls has been to revert back.

For those that have no interest in Windows 10 and are happy with what they have, this semi forced upgrade is really giving Microsoft a bad name. And it is semi-forced as typical users don't scrutinize what updates get installed when they click shutdown and update.

Status
Not open for further replies.