News Microsoft Bans Gamers Using Retail Mode Emulators on Xbox

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Where is that hardware again? Oh yeah eol...and even if you can gets your hands on a used piece. They all burn up and die eventually. So yeah no not buying that bit of your piece. The hardware is finite for old systems. Again I've said if they produce the hardware in perpetuity, and I am satisfied but they don't so I am not. Though I do have a lot collected in my personal collection for that exact reason... There might be something to cloned hardware (ie not emulation based) but even many of those vendors have gone the emulation route on their newer machines or like in my phone case I got on amazon. Its using cloned NES hardware on a chip but roms of questionable origin. All I am asking is for a legal way.

And yes corps fighting to get rid of emulators is their right but they aren't releasing their own in-house versions that play large amounts of games like homegrown versions do (PS premuim, game pass, Nintendo online are barely a start but something). Nor anyway to play those most of those old games, save the handful of retro game collections that barely scratch the surface. So again while it may be their intellectual property and be their right to snuff it out. Is that really the right thing to do? Destroy our rich gaming history, their rich gaming history. It seems overly destructive, short sighted, unfair to they're consumer base and unnecessary. Asking for a legal way to continue to play your old games or to allow users to get interested in retro for the first time, in a legal way to do so, shouldn't be this big questionable grey area. Its better PR to support their old stuff and its beneficial to the consumers. I am not saying ther legalities of your arument are wrong, quit the opposite. But in this case it doesn't make it the right thing, ethically speaking.
Stopped reading after very first line of this wall of text! Not gonna bother responding to you anymore when you have made up your mind about 25 years old Hardware and Software MUST be able to function after decades specially when you want to mix it up with new stuff at your will like a magician.

And of course you don't even understand the terms and conditions of products that you buy since it clearly looks like you NEVER read any of those otherwise you wouldn't be dreaming like this. You literally have ZERO claim on your imaginary rights about decades old products.

Keep dreaming and Bye! 👌👌

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Stopped reading after very first line of this wall of text! Not gonna bother responding to you anymore when you have made up your mind about 25 years old Hardware and Software MUST be able to function after decades specially when you want to mix it up with new stuff at your will like a magician.

And of course you don't even understand the terms and conditions of products that you buy since it clearly looks like you NEVER read any of those otherwise you wouldn't be dreaming like this. You literally have ZERO claim on your imaginary rights about decades old products.

Keep dreaming and Bye! 👌👌

Please show others respect on Tom's. This isn't wccftech where insults fly with nearly ever post. We try to treat all folks on Toms with kindness, encouragement for those who need help and respect for all who post. Its fine to disagree but treating a person like a moron/attacking a person is not acceptable just because they don't share your viewpoints.

I didn't troll you and don't appreciate being trolled by you. I am sorry for the text wall btw. I was on a PC I didn't think 4 lines and 6 lines as excessive but after glancing on my phone, I apologize truly. It was bad...

That said if you read the first line only, you don't get to judge the content of the entire text. If you had read it you'd seen I acknowledged the legalities. I have read plenty of TOS/etc so I know the law isn't behind me. And went on to question the ethics of current state of gaming history.

Legal doesn't make something right ethically or morally (Short version). Your welcome to disagree with my thoughts/points. I encourage it in fact. I love solid discourse but lets keep it to tech chat plz because insults only draw away from your point. As you do have some solid ones, even if I disagree with where they lead you in the end.

Last edited:
While delighted to see new finds and loving new cloned hardware when you can find it. Sadly many of those vendors have started to lean on emulation so even that native hardware has been slipping ( quick devils advocate: emulation is getting good enough most titles work... back to complaining: but not all). Regardless and yes if your talking the questionably legal online emulation community, SO MUCH is being done to preserve our history BUT those big corps are fighting back tooth and nail, nintendo in particular vs rom/iso sites, which fair but then sell your own roms/iso please Nintendo (and the rest of the console/PC crew)? I'd be fine if they had in-house emulators or hardware/software sold in perpetuity but they don't. So I don't agree with your stance that we aren't losing our gaming history at least from a legal stand point. You want to go full digital cowboy, that's another story and can't argue.
FPGA is not emulation it's a special type of CPU that lets you recreate original hardware 100% look into it, the MiSTer is a project based on fpga targeted to retro systems.

The internet archive is a legal source of archived software, which is legal under copyright law and because they operate as an archive they can also legally let you play them on site without giving you a copy.

Reactions: atomicWAR

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
FPGA is not emulation it's a special type of CPU that lets you recreate original hardware 100% look into it, the MiSTer is a project based on fpga targeted to retro systems.

The internet archive is a legal source of archived software, which is legal under copyright law and because they operate as an archive they can also legally let you play them on site without giving you a copy.

I am very aware of FPGAs. One of my posts mentions a nes on a chip in my phone case but the roms are dodgy in that case. I would love to see more retro boxes made with them. Again emulation has begun to take over that market as well with companies like Hyperkin's retron. But I know they also got push back on it so we'll see how that goes.

And yes there are legal roms on the national internet archive for all to use. I'd wouldn't mind more support there either but thats up to the corperations (many allow it but many don't either). Regardless I like to see more legal options and less digital cowboy stuff. I didn't mean to imply legal options don't exsist only that they're still insufficent imho but your welcome to yours.

Jul 31, 2023
I think M$ forgets it's own history here. If it hadn't been for the illegal chipping to run an internal harddrive with ALL emulators on the first Xbox,they wouldn't even be in the competition against Sony today. That's my claim,and I stand for it. More openness needed, please!😉