Microsoft Bing to Forget Your IP After 6 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jonpaul37[/nom]this is just creepy, i really see no benefit in keeping the IP Addresses. Like Microsoft really needs to know that i search "bootylicious"[/citation]
If you think that's creepy I hope you never find out how long Google keeps that information.

Steven Bancroft

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]If you think that's creepy I hope you never find out how long Google keeps that information.[/citation]

Stated clearly in the article.

"The move follows Google's September '08 decision to reduce its 18-month data retention period to nine months and Yahoo!'s December '08 pledge to anonymize user data within 90 days."

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
It's amazing to me that people use free search engines and don't think that the company on the other side might be their data to make a profit - who would have guessed?

festerovic

Distinguished
How are you not anonymous already? At best, google would only know what my ISP was, unless I was a criminal and my searches set off flags. Then the gov would like to see my IP, and THEY can get it traced. Google can't.

Not scared.

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]RooD[/nom]Atleast they dont store MAC address[/citation]

Maybe it is because they cannot get your Mac address?

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jonpaul37[/nom]this is just creepy, i really see no benefit in keeping the IP Addresses. Like Microsoft really needs to know that i search "bootylicious"[/citation]
Demographics and also tailoring searches just for you using the IP and cookies to keep track of what you like in a search.

windndust

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
For people who find tracking USAGE data (like google and microsoft do) troubling, consider this:

Traffic engineers tracked YOUR data as you drove around. They tracked your USAGE data to optimize traffic intersections during busy hours for EVERYBODY. Tracking USAGE data is how ENGINEERS optimize their SERVICES to YOU.

If you have a problem with tracking USAGE data, start with traffic engineers. Have them remove their optimizations for intersections. That way, you can live in bliss at the red light or trying to make a right turn.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Google and Microsoft love to data mine, it won't be long before those companies are data mining our home computers, whether we like it or not. Imagine Microsoft saying as part of it's "end user licence agreement", that by installing our operating system on your computer you automatically authorize us storing a list of all file names, or more ominously all your files themselves, "as backups" on our servers. Gotta love the cloud huh?

G

Kudos to Microsoft for this. Although I don't see why 6 months is needed.
At least its better then Google. I am really beginning to dislike Google.
They have way too much information and after the breach at their China facility I am less inclined to embrace their cloud products.

coopchennick

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]windndust[/nom]For people who find tracking USAGE data (like google and microsoft do) troubling, consider this:Traffic engineers tracked YOUR data as you drove around. They tracked your USAGE data to optimize traffic intersections during busy hours for EVERYBODY. Tracking USAGE data is how ENGINEERS optimize their SERVICES to YOU.If you have a problem with tracking USAGE data, start with traffic engineers. Have them remove their optimizations for intersections. That way, you can live in bliss at the red light or trying to make a right turn.[/citation]

This would be analogous to the search companies storing how many times you searched something. The difference is that they know what you search. It's not like the traffic engineers are listening in on your phone conversation when you pass the intersection.

windndust

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
@coopchennick

in what other way can you optimize search queries if you don't know what people are searching for?

your argument about traffic engineers listening to phone conversations doesn't quite relate. listening to phone conversations isn't related to traffic engineering and would indeed be morally wrong if this type of thing was happening. knowing what people search for to optimize search queries is related to tracking usage data.

i understand the fear people have about data being tracked, especially if there is a chance it can be used against them or for the wrong purpose. I just don't understand why so much mistrust. Can't a company that's dedicated to providing a search engine track data so it can gain an edge or stay on top?

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]If you think that's creepy I hope you never find out how long Google keeps that information.[/citation]Why hasn't this been rated to oblivion? Steven Bancroft clearly called me on my not reading the whole article.
[citation][nom]Steven Bancroft[/nom]Stated clearly in the article."The move follows Google's September '08 decision to reduce its 18-month data retention period to nine months and Yahoo!'s December '08 pledge to anonymize user data within 90 days."[/citation]

4trees

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Interesting to know about all 3 search engines.

Side note.... Bing sucks as a search engine. If you disagree let me know why I'd be curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.