Microsoft: Black Screen of Death Not Our Fault

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I never seen any of these Black Screens of Death on any of my 5 installs of Windows 7. I have had a black (very dark gray) screen of death on my Macbook when I installed 4GB of ram into it, because it was designed to only recognize 2GB.

nawat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
[citation][nom]abbringm[/nom]Typical: A "Blue" or "Black Screen of Death", "Guru Meditation Error" or whatever makes your OS stop working is always the fault of the OS. Either by it's own code, or by failing to enforce an architecture that denies applications/drivers to tear down the OS.[/citation]
Windows tried to implement that with UAC. If you take that to the extreme, Windows can just ask you every time anything occurs. Then Windows will protect you from everything but you may have to click "Allow" every second. Until computers have the brain to distinguish what's "good" or "bad" for the system, we'll have to live with it.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Never had this at all with my Win 7 install, if it's malware then only the user could have done it but like everyone else they blame Windows because they don't know what they are doing.

But I'm not complaining, that's how tech people like myself make money.

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Yeah, I've started getting these problems too. I'm playing a game. Sneaking up behind the enemy. On for a perfect headshot. And wham, everything goes black.

G

Windows XP Pro.
I installed 3 days ago the latest updates and some aplications (Panda Antivirus, Core Media Player, ...) stoped working. I uninstalled the patches and now everything works again.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]C00LIT[/nom]No problems what so ever, I will note that I am one who keeps Automatic updates OFF.My mentality is Why Fix what isn't broken. I install updates ONLY when I have an issue.[/citation]
Because it *is* broken, that's why they are security updates. You don't bother reading through the knowledge base articles for the updates, do you? Windows XP, and Windows Vista, both were bad OSes until updates fixed a lot of problems. Just because you don't see a glaring bug (like the OSX guest account issue), it doesn't mean there isn't a vulnerability or glitch waiting to strike.

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
"As suspected, reports earlier this week claiming that recent Microsoft security patches cause systems to boot up to a black screen have been proven as false. Microsoft confirms that any such issues have nothing to do with their patches, and that these black screen issues are not widespread among Windows users. The security company Prevx which identified this problem earlier has now issued an apology to Microsoft. I'm making a special point of highlighting these facts, because several readers asked me why I did not post about this issue earlier. The simple answer is that I do not post unsubstantiated and/or sensationalist stories on this site." Quoted from tweakguides

boo to toms hardware posting sensationalist rubbish again.

i can see the next headline "Its just in, Microsoft is evil...we think..maybe"

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]C00LIT[/nom]No problems what so ever, I will note that I am one who keeps Automatic updates OFF.My mentality is Why Fix what isn't broken. I install updates ONLY when I have an issue.[/citation]
That mentality isn't really effective with computers. Let's say your OS has a flaw which will cause your hard drive to wipe when you insert a USB stick. You're not aware of that, but you don't have any problems so far cause you didn't plug a USB stick yet. There's a patch to fix it but you won't install it. What will happen the day you decide to copy some files on a USB drive? Don't fix what isn't broken... I say better safe than sorry!

ano

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]abbringm[/nom]Typical: A "Blue" or "Black Screen of Death", "Guru Meditation Error" or whatever makes your OS stop working is always the fault of the OS. Either by it's own code, or by failing to enforce an architecture that denies applications/drivers to tear down the OS.[/citation]

everybody is a software engineer these days!

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]So, in the end it looks like it is malware related; as I said yesterday in the other article comments, the "security firm" that came up with the story regarding the widespread problem of KSOD is M.I.A., invalidating that claim.Sorry, Marcus, it didn't work out for ya this time[/citation]
Yeah, and if you look in the comments for the last article, someone posted a link to a Prevx post where they basically admitted they were wrong and apologized to Microsoft for jumping the gun. But good ol' Marcus never was big on posting retractions, he'd rather make another news post that makes it look like MS is just denying the problem.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
zero problems here as well.
1 win7 laptop
1 xp x64 desktop
1 SBS 2003 desktop

I installed the updates on all 3 boxes and never had any issues.

burfordg

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I do recall that when it first came out, a good 90% of Vista problems were eventually traced to bad nVidia drivers. Just because Microsoft made it doesn't mean it's inherently evil.

Anyways, I've never had this problem with my XP and Vista machines, so I doubt it's a Windows problem... Then again, my computer just might be ridiculously awesome.

mohsh86

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
i work in a company with 60 computers, and i have windows 7 at home, the work computers are mix between xp and vista, all running windows automatic updates, no BSOD on any of them.

if Linus Travolds Thumbed up Windows 7, what else do you want more ?

i admit that windows 7 is a vista with a little of bit rearchitecturing, hopefully windows 8 will be something solid, built from scratch, something like XP in its time

What I heard is that it was caused by the programs because they were using a loop hole or work around to do something, MS patched it like any good software company would (well I hope they would patch holes in their software) and that caused the programs to freak and send back the BSoD (black, not blue).

Of course blame the OS if your software is crappy.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]rags_20[/nom]Yeah, I've started getting these problems too. I'm playing a game. Sneaking up behind the enemy. On for a perfect headshot. And wham, everything goes black.[/citation]

That's your girlfriend/wife hitting you with a pipewrench because you forgot to fix the leak on the kitchen sink.... :)

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I have had a couple black screens of death, I never had it in my RC1 version but when I went out and bought Win7 OEM and reformated and I have been getting them here and there. I typically get them when running applications and games.

G

It's all M$'s fault that they give idiot the gun to shoot themselves in the foot. Yep, you can type "format c:", does that make it MS's fault that you just formatted your hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.