Microsoft Buys BigPark for Xbox 360 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
so many things are gonna be at E3! i can't wait!!! i wonder if valve is gonna do something for half life 2 ep3?

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
"According to Microsoft, we will something from BigPark at E3 in June."

Missing a word?

And I don't understand what MS is trying to accomplish here. They're letting go of large, experienced, huge IP holding studios, and picking up random guys who are working on their first 360 exclusive instead?

What a waste of talent and money.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]And I don't understand what MS is trying to accomplish here. They're letting go of large, experienced, huge IP holding studios, and picking up random guys who are working on their first 360 exclusive instead?What a waste of talent and money.[/citation]They bought a company co-founded and part-owned by one of their own top execs. I dunno how that's confusing you.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
As usual... Microsoft buys "insert company". Rather than innovate, they buy out which takes away competition and the natural progression of technology. All they sit on is patents, trademarks, and copyrights which at one time protected innovators and now turned around as barriers for innovation. Must be amazing to be the world's richest guy without creating anything. Maybe that's why he's giving his money away because of the massive guilt. But then again, I bet BG loves feeling like the big honcho giving out to the charities. Ivy league drop-out dbag.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]"According to Microsoft, we will something from BigPark at E3 in June."Missing a word?And I don't understand what MS is trying to accomplish here. They're letting go of large, experienced, huge IP holding studios, and picking up random guys who are working on their first 360 exclusive instead?What a waste of talent and money.[/citation]

Fixed.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]"According to Microsoft, we will something from BigPark at E3 in June."Missing a word?And I don't understand what MS is trying to accomplish here. They're letting go of large, experienced, huge IP holding studios, and picking up random guys who are working on their first 360 exclusive instead?What a waste of talent and money.[/citation]
If you're talking about letting Bungie and Ensemble go it's because Bungie wanted to leave and Microsoft wanted to continue a positive relationship with them. Besides, Microsoft still has the rights to the Halo franchise and can always purchase talent from Bungie, Ensemble, or anyone else, and has. They also still own Lionhead and Rare. Furthermore Big park is made up from a talented group of individuals. Obviously Microsoft knows more about what BigPark is working on than we do so let's hold off on questioning their decision until E3. BTW, this is not a waste of money. Microsoft has hinted that the purchase price was very low and as far as I can tell no talent has been wasted. Members from Bungie and Ensemble have spun off to create numerous other game studios all of whom are workign on Games for Windows and Xbox 360 without Microsoft having to foot the bill.

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Man, MS bought Rare long ago and Rare proved to be a dud. Only thing Rare had going for it was Goldeneye. And that was with *current market leader* Nintendo.

[citation][nom]LATTEH[/nom]so many things are gonna be at E3! i can't wait!!! i wonder if valve is gonna do something for half life 2 ep3?[/citation]

I only pray they do. Every time Gabe is interviewed they ask about EP3 but he is said to be under lock and key about it by Doug Lombardi.

And he teases us by saying "We have some good stuff going into EP3...."

I WANTS IT NOWS!!!!!!

Probably not till 2010 to keep they hype on L4D though.

[citation][nom]starryman[/nom]As usual... Microsoft buys "insert company". Rather than innovate, they buy out which takes away competition and the natural progression of technology. All they sit on is patents, trademarks, and copyrights which at one time protected innovators and now turned around as barriers for innovation. Must be amazing to be the world's richest guy without creating anything. Maybe that's why he's giving his money away because of the massive guilt. But then again, I bet BG loves feeling like the big honcho giving out to the charities. Ivy league drop-out dbag.[/citation]

Um what? DX11. Has tons of new technologies in it. OpenGLs newest version still doesn't match DX10....

BG is no longer in control of MS too BTW, you should learn your facts first before spouting out.

And this is the smarter step TBH. Buying a company that already has experienced people is smarter than starting from scratch with newer people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS