Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician

Colonel_Curly

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Hi all, just after some advice from anyone in the know of Microsoft Certifications.

I'm after training to become Microsoft Certified, starting off with the MCDST though the number of apporoches to attaining said qualification is er well confusing.
A number of different websites are offering different deals on supplying all of the required training manuals and software to put you through the paces of what's needed to pass the two exams for the certificate, ranging from £200 to £1600. The latter of which is a fully inclusive College programme with tuition support for a max of two years and includes the charges for the two exams (and I'd also recieve a Microsoft Certified Proffesional certificate upon passing the exams).
The £200 deal is just for the study materials, the exams you have to arrange and pay for yourself, £88+VAT per exam, and seemingly doesn't include the MCP cert. which appears to be a seperate exam altogether :/

Now, I'd just like anyone who's gained a certification from Microsoft to explain to me if the MCP is something you get automatically from passing any of Microsoft's cerified exams or is something you have to acquire before/after/as well as the MCDST.

Also if you have any recommendations as to who is a good trainer, or offers a good deal on study materials and exam payment, for the exam I'd really really REALLY appreciate it.

BTW I would consider taking the Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer at a later date, which I believe requires a MCP and possibly the MCDST to take.

Thanks!

riser

Illustrious
www.insidertraining.com

I've used them for a course. Depending on your ability you may want to just pick up the self paced kit. The classroom training is basic and won't expose you to issues you would experience in the real world. You'll understand how to set stuff up in a basic manner but when posed with another question or if an issue comes up, you'll be more likely to skip it in class than to fix it because of time constaints.

MCP = 1 Microsoft cert is required in anything.

MCSE is going to require some real hands on experience. The MCSE 2003 is being phased out for the new cert (whatever the acronym is) for Windows 2008. Many commpanies are still using Win2k3 though.