Microsoft Confirms Project Natal for October

Status
Not open for further replies.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Presumably E3 will also bring us a new, official, retail name for the peripheral.

I know MS is into this sort of thing, but by this time the name is stuck. Why not keep the name Natal? It may not describe the device in any meaningful way, but even my parents have heard of it now.

thejester420

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I could see this device really adding to games but I think using it as a stand alone controller will not workout so good. I think the Move will have better success.

G

360 is already 3D capable. They demonstrated a Avata game in 3D in one of the gaming expo's in New Zealand.

moeswow

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I've gotten a chance to play with Project Natal during an xbox exclusive event to test it out. It has pretty good 1:1 motion capture. I got an opportunity to talk to a few devs and they said that the device is slated to bring in a more family oriented experience which will have greater appeal to younger and older consumers.... I also asked about FPS games and how it would work with that. They said that Natal can be used i conjunction with a controller and wouldnt be surprised if they allowed players to make their characters poke heads around corners and such. Also the voice activated commands are pretty cool. Xbox play movie... Xbox pause and such. Im expecting it to be a hit.

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
wrongo. G4 was talking about this last night. the guy doesnt work for microsoft and its the same lameass saudi PR guy that has given multiple wrong release dates on games. it might be out in october but this guy does not work for microsoft, he works for a third party that works with microsoft.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Userremoved[/nom]I would like to see an FPS use this gadget.[/citation]

How do you figure that will work? Run in place with your hands up like a machine gun and turn in circles to corner? Crouch down to duck?

That really sounds lame, and you're going to get absolutely *reamed* by people playing with controllers.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]restatement3dofted[/nom]How do you figure that will work? Run in place with your hands up like a machine gun and turn in circles to corner? Crouch down to duck?That really sounds lame, and you're going to get absolutely *reamed* by people playing with controllers.[/citation]
I agree it would be lame but you wouldn't be reamed because they'd probably have separate servers. Just like you have separation of the controller/console guys from the pc/keyboard guys because the controller guys would get reamed without the aim assist stuff (what I would call "Cheating").

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]moeswow[/nom]I've gotten a chance to play with Project Natal during an xbox exclusive event to test it out. It has pretty good 1:1 motion capture. I got an opportunity to talk to a few devs and they said that the device is slated to bring in a more family oriented experience which will have greater appeal to younger and older consumers.... I also asked about FPS games and how it would work with that. They said that Natal can be used i conjunction with a controller and wouldnt be surprised if they allowed players to make their characters poke heads around corners and such. Also the voice activated commands are pretty cool. Xbox play movie... Xbox pause and such. Im expecting it to be a hit.[/citation]

Another thing...voice recognition could also work in FPS games with AI players ("Sniper on the ridge," "get behind me," "switch to shotgun," etc.). I can think of many other cool ways just the microphone could be used in games.

hicsy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
maybe a 3d firmware would be good too!
They demonstrated a Avata game in 3D
Avatar game is average. PS its not a firmware patch, its nothing to do with the XBOX 360. Avatar simply renders 2 perspectives of the game simultaneously, one on the left side of the screen, one on the right. you literally see it in dual-window, and then the 3DTV just overlays the the 2 halves of the screen - much like the screenshots used in the wall-sized 3D pc article.

But i still agree, id rather avoid turning my 360 into a wii!

Status
Not open for further replies.