Microsoft Confirms Windows 8 Public Beta for February

Status
Not open for further replies.
woot!
Just found out today that someone at work is giving me their asus convertable tablet/netbook thing. This will be perfect to really do win8 on! and I have loved it so far on my Acer netbook.

[citation][nom]nbraybrook[/nom]who cares honestly, unless you have a craplet, 90% of desktop users running windows 7 have no reason. WIN8 = FAIL[/citation]
Win8 is not a fail. The desktop UI is great! The power user features are great! The new start menu/screen is OK, but as it is easily turned off it is no big deal

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
[citation][nom]nbraybrook[/nom]who cares honestly, unless you have a craplet, 90% of desktop users running windows 7 have no reason. WIN8 = FAIL[/citation]
You're forgetting the new features, including startup and shutdown enhancements, file transfer enhancements, UI and efficiency enhancements... the list goes on.

I for one am excited to drop Win8 onto my laptop since it's pretty bare anyways and won't have to transfer any files.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
actually having used it (just throwing that out there) I can say that somebody upgrading from XP would be justified. Win7, even Vista on a desktop? Not so much. Doesn't really add much to the formula from builds that recent.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Windows 8 would most likely not start very smoothly, unless they get rid of the ugly ass metro UI, and create a clear distinction between a desktop and mobile variant!
The metro is ugly as hell, and not handy!
The desktop version is much preferred, since touch screens in desktops are at least 10 years away from now!

G

what are you guys moaning about? the metro is optional, you can make it looks just like win7 if it pleases yea, but it will run faster. ive been fidling with the developer build for a while now and i can see the difference when it comes to pure processing. win8 is slighly faster then win 7 in many things.

try it and time it, you will see the difference. and if your a gamer id rate it will have enough performance boost to justify an upgrade, but i havent played much games on it yet. and it aint 100% complete yet so who knows. but so far its very promising.

remember metro isnt forced, its just default. you can change it to normal in 2 minutes ^^

jdwii

Splendid
Well Lots of people on this site can get W8 for free just like 7/vista/Xp. I can through my college and you can if you work in the IT field. I'm looking forward to W8 if metro can be turned off 100% like it was never even their i also want my PC to start on the desktop and not act like its just a app like The developers preview of 8. If so this will be a lighter and faster 7 with a more up to date Scheduler for the processor. And lets hope W8 will use 100% gpu acceleration for everything you do. This will make it even faster. I hope Microsoft keeps making lighter and lighter OS's with better support for newer hardware.

If i had to pick some things i wanted upgraded from 7 it would be
Better support for multithreading
More acceleration with the video card for a smoother experience
Use less Cpu cycles and less ram then 7
Start up Faster with the desktop on by default not metro, Shutdown faster, And most importantly less restarts due to updates!
Even though i find W7 very secure, Make 8 even better while not slowing down the system!

The smaller they make the Os the faster it will boot and load programs.

G

I tried the developer preview, I dare say that it's awful. After seeing videos about 6 months ago of Metro, I thought it looked like a stupid way of doing things, but deep down I was wondering if it would just be brilliant when i tried it hands-on; It was not.

It's designed for tablets and touch screens. I would argue that it's not even very good for those. However, a keyboard and mouse are still superior input devices for productivity, and I'm certainly not going to hold my arms out all day poking at all 3 of my monitors at work. Tablets are a fad just like netbooks were, there's even some statistic that 75% of all iPads are just collecting dust because people figured out they were useless when you've got a laptop and a phone.

"YES!!!! YES!!!! The world is finally ours!!!!!!!!!!!" -Linux users and developers all over the world

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
The metro UI is hard to use and the login screen is ugly (and why do you have to pull up a wallpaper image to see it?), but otherwise they've made great performance improvements, I like the new task manager and all. (but what's with the new explorer, with far more buttons than necessary?)

G

Why Microsoft always seem to copy the enhancements of the Linux desktop. Metro seems to be a refinement of the Unity / GNome 3 desktops.

Gnome 3 can be tweaked by editing css files to look wonderfully well.

Well Ubuntu rocks ......,
only if linux had better game support, it will be the ruler.

nbraybrook

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Yes I have zero use or interest in "metro" UI, its garbage as far as I am concerned. It seems totally counter productive to my work flow, I will not upgrade unless it can totally be disabled / removed. I have a feeling most businesses and people who use their PC's for work will agree. And frankly I dont want some ugly square color block UI to go through just to get to my apps and files and fb.. I think its a terrible idea.. It might be good for tablets ect but lets face it android and apple already dominate microsoft is to late to the game..

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
i think you can boot into the desktop normally. Because the only time MS showed something on a normal Laptop was when they showed the OS starting in 8s with an SSD, and it didn't start metro.

G

windows 8 should be fantastic but the way that you can add windows 8 metro tiles to the side opf the actual windows os section is a bit silly i to be honest think that window 8 should be sold just as a metro ui computer without the normal windows or it should be set out as the newer version of windows media center so it is like a multi media app but they need to bring back the start menu and move the metro button to say the right corner of the icon bar or have a shortcut link thing in the top right corner so when you m,ove your mouse over it opens like the mac dashbord.

Status
Not open for further replies.