Microsoft Considers Allowing Android Apps on WP8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
That didn't help OS/2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2#Windows_3.x_compatibility
Well, OS/2 is a bad reference, as WinNT is in fact a spin-off of OS/2. So, by your argument, this is the optimal strategy to kill off the competition.Though, I personally don't think it will help WP much either. Android has probably reached that self-sustaining mass which makes it almost impossible to knock off its perch. Just like Windows on the PC.

os2baba

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Oh, the irony! 2 decades ago,IBM was in the same boat with OS/2 and Windows. It didn't work for OS/2 and that was a significantly superior operating system! That's not even the case here. As an iOS user, I can think of plenty of reasons to use an Android phone and a few to use WP. As an Android user I can think of a few reasons to switch to iOS, but apart from using Office, I honestly can't think of a single reason to switch to WP.

gwwerner

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Microsoft has a bigger problem to deal with. Hardware companies are starting to talk about using android as a desktop os.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
MSFT's biggest headache is rumors like this. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. Android took off largely because a lot of people started saying good things about it. Lately every perceived ill of computing, including things MSFT has little to nothing to do with, have been blamed on MSFT.

I don't like the XBOne, but I can tell you the perception of the system, partly due to MSFT's own missteps, has limited the sales. You wouldn't even realize that despite lagging behind Sony, the sales have been much faster than the 360 during its launch.But that is also a consequence of the culture we've fomented. If it's not the latest and greatest, if it isn't stomping its opponents into the ground, it's almost immediately deemed a failure. There is no patience for anything new that has to struggle to evolve into something better. No one wants to make improvements to things that aren't working, if it starts lagging at all they want to scrap it altogether.I doubt that MSFT will let Android apps onto their WP8 devices.

Even now MSFT is not a hardware company. Just because they own Nokia for now and Xbox, doesn't make them a hardware company. These two are mainly platforms for generating revenue and distributing software. Allowing Android apps onto the platform would essentially render WP8 nothing but Android under a different name.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

By that reasoning, shouldn't the community at large have given up on the fail of Linux on desktops a long, long time ago?

Personally, I like more competition in this market from entities that have the resources to provide it. I'm kind of surprised that you, JD, don't welcome a competitor in the smartphone industry. I know you don't much like the MS monopoly on the desktop and Android is creeping up on that in the smartphone world - so, why not welcome more competition? Besides, whether it's popular or not, Windows Phone is actually a pretty damned slick OS. For someone who cares about how their phone works rather than bragging rights of having the most popular phone, that *might* just be important....

alextheblue

Distinguished
I'm about to upgrade from my ancient Galaxy Nexus to the sexy new Nokia Lumia Icon myself. Have to pay full price to keep my unlimited data though, but thankfully it is a few hundred cheaper than similarly spec'ed smart phones.
The Icon looks like it will serve you well. Reviews are positive, too. Blazing fast, excellent display, very good camera, nice quad mic setup, and good battery life. It's also got Nokia's software suite. MS better stay hard at work on WP 8.1, because thanks to Nokia they've got a cutting edge phone on both VZW and ATT. Even T-Mo has the 925 which is pretty good. Sprint though... Ativ S Neo... mediocre.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

The difference is Linux is open source and free. Microsoft is trying to peddle licensing fees with Windows Phone and there is just no justification for it.

The part about it being a slick OS is just user interface. I can make my Android phone behave in the exact same way by installing a simple launcher. That's not really innovation. Don't get me wrong, I welcome competition as well but I just don't see Windows Phone making much sense to MS from a business perspective. I can't see it ever making them any money unless they think they can sell hardware like Apple or Samsung or plan on offering it free to OEMs which doesn't fit the MS business model. My original comment was from the perspective of how Microsoft should proceed in the future and whether or not they should allow Android apps on the Windows Phone platform. MS should focus on making software that is platform agnostic so they can get as many users as possible. Who cares what OS it runs on?

As for the guy who mentioned that Windows on phones has been around longer than Apple or Android, that's fine but like I said before they've taken 10+ years to gain <3% market share.

jessebb

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
To the fucks who say were missing out, go to hell. Windows xp was the single most perfect osvfor many many years. It launched the concept of better looking and fast easy and versatile os's . without xp no one would've realized the capabilities that computer PC's could have. Not only that but it is unbelievably powerful and so simplistically complex I'm aghast at the following firmware. Xp is and will forever be the single best is in history. No one is locked out of files and folders that people might need to view. No one is confused as to how to change settings and the application starter (start) is simple easy and 100% inclusive. It is simple and much better looking. Explorer is simple perfect and inclusive as well. The new ones (which I do have experience with) are confusing, straining to most because of all of the smaller compact PCs and laptops and they are very confusing (and I say that twice). They have a loading bar. A LOADING BAR!!!!!!! FOR AN EXPLORER!!!!!! THERES NO NEED¡!!!!!!!!!!¡ the foldernstylenis small compact and hard to read for a lot of people. The application data directory is completely unaccessible which many many more operations require than anyone knows! The style is sleek but sloppy and to me blurry the screens black out momentarily so many times I can't see how anyone can handle it. You can't open the task manager with the simultaneous pressof 3 buttons anymore instead tthis brings up ( not before an NOTHER black screen ) a stupidly oriented menu with to many options no one would use. It is also an outrage that almost 30% of all PC devices use xp and I hey are still throwing it out in the dust. It is just fuckin stupid ajdnits abandonment!

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
See what happens when you welcome bill gates back, lol. i bet he decided this, seriously around the conference table.Bll gates: So what's the matter:.Software engineer: well sire, we have no way making metro any better.Bill gates: well simple, just intergrate it, it's not like andoids the competition here.Software engineer: but sir, is this wise.Bill gates: I'm just the personal adivsor, my roll isn't to impliment a policy here, but show you the best methods reaching a specific target.Lead marketing guru replies: well sir, windows 8 doing well, even the xbox.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
The difference is Linux is open source and free. Microsoft is trying to peddle licensing fees with Windows Phone and there is just no justification for it. The part about it being a slick OS is just user interface. I can make my Android phone behave in the exact same way by installing a simple launcher. That's not really innovation. Don't get me wrong, I welcome competition as well but I just don't see Windows Phone making much sense to MS from a business perspective. I can't see it ever making them any money unless they think they can sell hardware like Apple or Samsung or plan on offering it free to OEMs which doesn't fit the MS business model. My original comment was from the perspective of how Microsoft should proceed in the future and whether or not they should allow Android apps on the Windows Phone platform. MS should focus on making software that is platform agnostic so they can get as many users as possible. Who cares what OS it runs on? As for the guy who mentioned that Windows on phones has been around longer than Apple or Android, that's fine but like I said before they've taken 10+ years to gain <3% market share.
Linux is free, but it is not an OS by itself, Android is free, but Google Services (like Play Store) are not. MS isn't doing anything that radically different from Google. Most of Microsoft's software offerings (on desktop and mobile) are available on other platforms.WP did gain quite a lot of market share world wide last year, it is a very non-techy friendly OS, and probably the most stable of the current bunch (don't know about BB10 or FFOS). Seeing how the new CEO put emphasis on cloud and mobile being the future, I doubt MS is dropping WP anytime soon. With 8.1 WP is looking very good.In the mean time, I'll enjoy tinkering around with my Jolla.

txgs

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Blackberry did the same crap and still remain a failure. Let's see if they can pull it off properly or repeat the same sh*t as the previous.

Chris Holden

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
I friggin love it already B-) Windows phones are great, I would love them with or without android. Its build is monumental and never lets me down. MWC is gonna be fun :)

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
BWahahaha!You know what is even EASIER.... Those with an Android 4x phone can download Launcher 8 (Free) which is actually more powerful and flexible than a real WP8 device.Launcher 8 is worth trying out. You can easily disable it... or switch. Funny thou... in many AT&T stores - all Lumias phones were dummies... I would show them WHAT it would look like with WP7 on my old Android phone.

G

Here's where I am. I work in a security sensitive environment where the use of Android devices is a big no no and will effectively get you fired. The company I work for regards Blackberry and Apple as adequately robust products and I've actually been a user of the iPhone since the 3G and I've owned all variants of that product upto and including the iPhone 5. For me, as a consumer, the lightning connector was the last straw as well as being fed up with not owning any part of my families substantial itunes collection that we've amassed over the years. At the end of my last mobile phone contract I needed to find another platform. I excluded Blackberry as I had no intention of spending money on a platform that looked like it was going out of business. I excluded Android as my experiences of my immediate family using Gingerbread and ICS devices (excluding the professional issues I would have with that platform) really left me cold. I like my personally identifiable information to remain my own property and there is no way I'll give it to Google unless they're going to start paying me for it.So, this left me with one (less than ideal) choice for my next phone and I went out and bought a SIM free Nokia Lumia 625 as a cheap phone that I could just try out Windows Phone 8 on, just to see. I've been using it for two weeks and I have to say that I am not missing my iPhone 5 one bit. I'm beginning to consider a more substantial device and then offer the 625 to either my wife or my son to see how they get on with it.The security industry does not consider Windows Phone 8 to meet the same level of security as either Blackberry or iPhone, but at the same time it is considered to be better than Android, hence my employer has no problem with me bringing my own Windows Phone 8 device into work.If Microsoft open up the ability to install Android apps it will essentially mean I will need to change device again, and for me the Windows Phone platform which I've just started to really enjoy will just die. That would be the difinitive end of the line and Windows Phone devices would be out of my home and disconnected from my network on the very day that Android apps beame available. It would be a cold day in hell before I let my guard down to that extent.I'm sure that Microsoft understand their place in the market, and if they plan to persist with advertising campaigns such as the 'screw-gle' one then they are not about to jump into bed with the enemy. I think this story is total rubbish with the intention of nothing more than sensationalising and enflaming opinion for the sake of clicks - which it seems to have succeeded in doing.

sulanis

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
My only concern is, is that what is Google starts to get annoyed that everyone is trying to get in on there ecosystem? I mean I am thankful that BlackBerry did, because that was my only issue with the Blackberry 10 platform, other than that I love bb10. Now Windows Phone wants to do the same thing. I'm sure they would get Google's permission. The whole world is going Google haha

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Android and iOS are great for entertainment, but nothing beats WP8 for business. I have a variety of devices and each have their own area's of strength. WP8's strengths are great, just not for the mass market. Also keep in mind that a 3% market share now is the same number of devices as a %50+ market share 6-7 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.