Microsoft Defends Surface Pro Storage, Short Battery Life

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]keremidko[/nom]Can someone please explain to me how is this better than most 13" Ultrabooks out there?[/citation]
First and foremost
it is a tablet that can double as a laptop/ultrabook. It has an Sdcard slot that not all ultrabooks have. Its made at M$'s specs so lets also assume it is of some help with getting a decent windows experience out of it.

G

Funny, I'm pretty sure most people's idea of "the tablet form factor" does NOT include a trailing power cord...

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
And about the power, it's a full functioning PC in tablet form factor, I think 4 hours is sufficient for all it can do. just imagine all the things you can do without buying all the proprietary BS just to have it upgraded to a new proprietary slot and have to upgrade "Everything else" you own just for compatibility. This week I am trading in my iphone for a windows phone, and selling all my ipod docks, cords, car stereo, icade, ect. ect... Thanks apple..

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
1) Backup/delete recovery partition
2) Uninstall apps/software you won't use
3) Enjoy 100-105GB of space (fully updated Windows 8 Pro with basic applications and runtime libraries such as Chrome, VLC, Acrobat Reader, Java, all the .NET and C libs and so on takes just under 16GB of space)

cocogorilla

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
That actually... umm... makes sense. Yes, it does. A core I5 is going to take a certain amount of power period and a macbook air is a better comparison given what you can run on a full windows 8 machine. I might just get one.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Surface Pro should be compared to Ultrabook's when it comes to specs, battery and cost. Until Apple releases an iPad running Mac OSX there is no comparison.

If you buy a Desktop that has a 200GB hard drive, you don't get 200GB of free space. If you buy an iPad with 64GB, you don't get 64GB of free space, iOS still takes up a few gig, its just that iOS and Android are not full operating systems they are mobile device OS's with far more limited scope of use.

Most Ultrabooks with small hard drives and pre-loaded software are in the same boat as the Surface Pro.

r3dl1n3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Honestly.. people keep comparing this thing to the iPad.. News flash.. iPad doesn't do 1/4 of what this thing does.. it's closest competing product is the MacBook air
Macbook air 128 Gig has 92 gigs free for user data
Surface Pro has 89 gigs free.. plus once you remove the recover partition another 8 gigs that's 97 gigs free
The surface has a touch screen and built in Digitizer for pen use.. the MacBook air.. none

Price?
MacBook air 128GB $1099
Surface Pro 128 GB pro 999 + Keyboard 1138

Battery Life
Macbook air rated at 5 Hours Web surfing
Surface pro rated at 5.5 hours web surfing

Does that clear it up for everyone?
P.S MacBook still doesn't run all the software you can run on the Surface Pro

Weight is actually about the same when you add the keyboard to the Surface..
So let's all stop the MS hate and actually compare apples to apples (pun not intended) instead of Surface to iPad.
You want a Tablet with limited functioning.. get an iPad or android or Surface RT.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
wrong choice MS!

if you want a Recovery in the machine , add an emmc cheap 16G flash chip onboard .. dont use the SSD. this wont take space at all .. it is just one small chip. you can make it SSD also , but would be expansive so ... FLASH.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
[citation][nom]r3dl1n3[/nom]Honestly.. people keep comparing this thing to the iPad.. News flash.. iPad doesn't do 1/4 of what this thing does.. it's closest competing product is the MacBook airMacbook air 128 Gig has 92 gigs free for user dataSurface Pro has 89 gigs free.. plus once you remove the recover partition another 8 gigs that's 97 gigs freeThe surface has a touch screen and built in Digitizer for pen use.. the MacBook air.. nonePrice?MacBook air 128GB $1099Surface Pro 128 GB pro 999 + Keyboard 1138Battery LifeMacbook air rated at 5 Hours Web surfingSurface pro rated at 5.5 hours web surfing Does that clear it up for everyone?P.S MacBook still doesn't run all the software you can run on the Surface ProWeight is actually about the same when you add the keyboard to the Surface..So let's all stop the MS hate and actually compare apples to apples (pun not intended) instead of Surface to iPad. You want a Tablet with limited functioning.. get an iPad or android or Surface RT.[/citation]

The Acer W700 has better battery life than the Pro , rated at 7 hours web browsing...

Microsoft lost this round to Acer w700 , and it looks better as well and has a better camera .. and comes with bt keyboard and bag and dock out of the box for the same price

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
F MS give me a Apple Air and OS X any day over this and 8. Better yet I'll spend some extra and have the new 13" Macbook Pro with the retina display please.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]blakbird24[/nom]Microsoft simply needs to lure someone from Apple's marketing department. If this were Apple, they'd be praised for "providing everything a user needs from the start". Microsoft simply doesn't know how to spin things like this.[/citation]It's not that they don't know, it's that most people hate MS and Windows in general, so anything they do or make is usually bashed. Apple has hardcore fans and haters in equal numbers while MS has far far more haters.

The general consumer thinks Windows and Microsoft is nothing but old problematic crap while Apple devices "have no problems at all".

It's impossible to market around that. Honestly, Microsoft should have never branded their phone as Windows Phone 8. They should have come up with another name.. nobody wants a virus ridden, bluescreening piece of crap windows phone. Call it something else and it has a better chance.

Personally I have nothing against MS, I'm just quoting what I've heard people say.

G

The thing is. they are trying to say that it is a tablet, (sort of) and there tablet is better.
The point is, it is the worst performing tablet in: battery life, size and performance against most of the tablets.
If it is compared against say a MAC.. (which they did) there is no comparison.

They really tried to make a product for a market that is not there. Qdos for there product, but
honestly I do not know if it will be a success.
The people will say with there wallets.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]boiler1990[/nom]I'm still surprised that they couldn't fit a better battery in there. There are many ultrabooks out there that can hit 5 hours.[/citation]
Reputable reviews give the Surface Pro 5-6 hours of battery life. If you compare that with devices in the same class, which are *not* ARM-based tablets, it's as good if not slightly better than similarly-spec'd devices.

ChairmanSaab

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2013
i can't understand why everytime people compare every product with Apple bullshit ! Come on ! Windows is far superior to Mac so that Android to iOS. umm i got it. People love fancy and overhype'd things. Apple fanboys always butthurt when they hear truth. They are blind.
Peace !

Status
Not open for further replies.