Microsoft Delays Releasing Open Source Win 7 Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Couldn't this already be done without their tool? I remember installing Windows 7 Beta on an older Dell I had, it wouldn't boot from DVD so I had to put it on a USB to install it. I think HP has a free tool that helps you do this already.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I'd like to have this - going to install 7 soon, I have an iso. I assume there's a way to mount the iso and copy it to a USB stick, or maybe the tool copies it directly from an iso to USB?

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]gtvr[/nom]I assume there's a way to mount the iso and copy it to a USB stick...[/citation]

Yes. I used UltraISO its newer (more advanced) version of MagicISO. I burned (mounted, whichever) the Freebie Win7 from MS on an 8GB usb drive.

Works perfectly. I'm sure there are others but thats what I used.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
My flash drive already does this, why do I need a tool? Takes about 5 minutes to setup any flash drive to install any os. I've personally done it with various flavors of linux, mac os x, win xp, vista, and 7, server 2k3 and 2k8.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
"We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to make the Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool available once again."

Since when is Microsoft being late on a software release news?

G

how about just using a ubuntu live cd and the bootable usb drive creator that comes with it, all GNU

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
So, that is setting the record straight: m$ did use GPLed code illegally, without respecting the licenses, and providing due credit.
Where are all those wintarded micro$uxx fankiddies whining that their god was wrongly accused?

Status
Not open for further replies.