Microsoft Denies Edge Native Ad-Blocker As Opera Launches Its Own In Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I don't use adblock with THG or other beneficial sites I frequent. THG is a little ad-heavy though, if I had a slower machine I'd be awful tempted. But you guys provide news and reviews and you're not paywalled so I choose to support you by putting up with it.

Of course microsoft won't include an ad-block, that'd make them hypocrites. How would they claim to be blocking ads when they are serving them up on your lock screen and your start menu in windows 10?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Of course microsoft won't include an ad-block, that'd make them hypocrites. How would they claim to be blocking ads when they are serving them up on your lock screen and your start menu in windows 10?
I have never seen an advert in the lock screen, or the Start menu, for Windows 10. Not on the PC, not on the phone, ever. Nice try though.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I have never seen an advert in the lock screen, or the Start menu, for Windows 10. Not on the PC, not on the phone, ever. Nice try though.

Good for you; ads don't seem to bother you. However, it is quite well documented that there are ads in both the Start menu and the lock screen. The fact that you don't notice them is at best evidence for confirmation bias, not their inexistence.

Here are some quick sources I found as evidence:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/223634-windows-10-now-shows-ads-on-lock-screen-heres-how-to-kill-them
http://betanews.com/2015/10/15/microsoft-now-uses-windows-10s-start-menu-to-display-ads/

stratplaya

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
I'm a capitalist and I understand that websites need some sort of revenue to operate. That's why I don't use ad blockers for some sites (including this one). But some sites throw so much crap at you that you have no choice but the block them. Some balance needs to be found.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Definitely no ads on my lockscreen or start menu. I haven't disabled anything as far as I know. I did select to turn off everything like smart screen when I installed Win10. Perhaps one of those was asking if I wanted ads, I didn't read it just turned it all off.
Perhaps you have an illegal copy of Win10 and that's why you get ads?

jkflipflop98

Distinguished

Good for you; ads don't seem to bother you. However, it is quite well documented that there are ads in both the Start menu and the lock screen. The fact that you don't notice them is at best evidence for confirmation bias, not their inexistence.

Here are some quick sources I found as evidence:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/223634-windows-10-now-shows-ads-on-lock-screen-heres-how-to-kill-them
http://betanews.com/2015/10/15/microsoft-now-uses-windows-10s-start-menu-to-display-ads/

You're a liar.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
AdBlock is a very good first layer of defense against online exploits. For me, it is a security measure that I will not go without. If a site requests me to turn it off, I will, as long as it is a trustworthy site. Otherwise, forget it.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
"Earlier this month, Opera announced being the first (and now apparently only) browser to feature native ad-blocking"

Private Browsing with Tracking Protection in Firefox actively blocks content like ads, analytics trackers and social share buttons that may record your behavior without your knowledge across sites. Tracking Protection can also be activated on regular browsing windows.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

If you'd read my sources, you'd notice that this isn't a complaint from just me (which makes sense since I don't even use Windows 10). These are news sites that are reporting a well-known phenomenon, not just anecdotal evidence. It's nice that they can be turned off, as these same sources suggest, but that hardly justifies their existence in the first place.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009

If you'd read my sources, you'd notice that this isn't a complaint from just me (which makes sense since I don't even use Windows 10). These are news sites that are reporting a well-known phenomenon, not just anecdotal evidence. It's nice that they can be turned off, as these same sources suggest, but that hardly justifies their existence in the first place.

I remember seeing something online about suggested appsin win 10, these where the ads they where talking about. I haven't noticed and there's several machines running Windows 10 in my household. As for start menu ads, I haven't seen a single one on any of the computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.