Microsoft Details Office for Mac, Includes Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
A little late with the mail client there Microsoft. Entourage was such a steaming pile of crap that no one really used it and now Snow Leopard's native iMail client has exchange support. I will welcome non-crappy versions of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc but you missed the ball big time with Entourage and now it's probably too late.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I predict the whole Mac thing will be dead within the next 10 years. Assimilation is imminent.

Macs are now running on PC hardware, have office and can boot windows. I dont get how you can stand OSX. If I wanted a phone OS, Id buy a phone...

Resistance is futile!

G

Apple lost its chance for big market share gains when Vista was turning user's towards Mac's. They simply did not provide a cheap enough Mac for many. Even though Windows was able to run on a Mac the extra expense was not worth it. You can still buy a PC for much less then a Apple. You can argue quality all day long. But for many its still just about price.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]I predict the whole Mac thing will be dead within the next 10 years. Assimilation is imminent. Macs are now running on PC hardware, have office and can boot windows. I dont get how you can stand OSX. If I wanted a phone OS, Id buy a phone...Resistance is futile![/citation]

What in the world is "PC hardware?"

eternalkp

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Apple will never die.

M$ could have buried years ago in the era of OX 9, but instead they helped out apple by donating millions so apple could build OS X.

M$ and Apple are friends really...don't let these silly mac vs. pc commercials fool you.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]I dont get how you can stand OSX. If I wanted a phone OS, Id buy a phone...Resistance is futile![/citation]

I use Windows, OS X, and Linux equally. I actually prefer OS X to windows in a lot of ways, and in my experience it crashes a lot less than windows. Also it makes no sense to call OS X a phone OS. It was a computer OS long before it was ported to a phone, So OS X is not in any way shape or form a phone OS.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]What in the world is "PC hardware?"[/citation]

A x86 CPU.

[citation][nom]HVDynamo[/nom]I use Windows, OS X, and Linux equally. I actually prefer OS X to windows in a lot of ways, and in my experience it crashes a lot less than windows. Also it makes no sense to call OS X a phone OS. It was a computer OS long before it was ported to a phone, So OS X is not in any way shape or form a phone OS.[/citation]

If your Windows crash, you are to blame. The last time I had a problem with a windows, it was Windows ME.

I know its a computer OS, my comment is a joke based on the fact that OSX is an extremely restrictive OS. From a power user standpoint that is.

G

Ummm I don't get it. I have Entourage Mac 2008 and it's hooked up and working extremely well with my Exchange 2003 server. I run it over RPC/HTTPS as my exchange server is not in the same building as me. The nice thing about Entourage is you can have multiple email accounts running on the same instance all going to different Exchange accounts. Outlook can't do that.

I run windows xp(32 & 64) Windows 7 (Ultimate 64 Bit) as well as Ubuntu, Solaris, and Mac OSx. I have to say I prefer OSx, but Windows 7 is a very close second.

bwilliam13

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
Office 2008 for MAC OS X works with Exchange 2003/2007 (natively) without issue...you don't have to enable IMAP or whatnot like you used to have to do. So, I'm not sure what the article-writers were thinking on that one. Office 2008 for MAC is quite stable.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]A x86 CPU. If your Windows crash, you are to blame. The last time I had a problem with a windows, it was Windows ME.I know its a computer OS, my comment is a joke based on the fact that OSX is an extremely restrictive OS. From a power user standpoint that is.[/citation]

An x86 CPU is not "PC hardware" because there is no such thing as "PC Hardware"

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]eternalkp[/nom]Apple will never die.M$ could have buried years ago in the era of OX 9, but instead they helped out apple by donating millions so apple could build OS X.M$ and Apple are friends really...don't let these silly mac vs. pc commercials fool you.[/citation]

If I recall, Bill Gates personally helped bail out Apple, not Microsoft as a company. That's different and I don't think the two are "friends". If they were, they wouldn't be attacking each other all the time.

I concur about the 2GB "limit" of pst files. You have to keep your mail box folders tidy (including the trash) or else you'll get the whole indexing message everytime you open outlook, etc...

evolve60

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]eternalkp[/nom]Apple will never die.M$ could have buried years ago in the era of OX 9, but instead they helped out apple by donating millions so apple could build OS X.M$ and Apple are friends really...don't let these silly mac vs. pc commercials fool you.[/citation]

That's just M$ (or Bill Gates) Showing off what kind of money could have been made if they didn't restrict everything.

talzara

Dec 22, 2008
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]If I recall, Bill Gates personally helped bail out Apple, not Microsoft as a company. That's different and I don't think the two are "friends". If they were, they wouldn't be attacking each other all the time.[/citation]

The 1997 deal was essentially a personal favor that Bill Gates did for Steve Jobs. The two of them have an interesting relationship.

You can see some of that acted out in the docudrama Pirate of Silicon Valley, which is about 90% true. There's a particularly fun section when Steve gets mad at Bill, summons him over to Cupertino, yells at him -- but by the end of the evening, Steve is eating out of Bill's hand.

G

does anyone really know what they are talking about????
2GB limit is long gone with the new office outlook... I agree it's late to arrive but its a welcome addition...I tried many different mail clients and nothing works as nice and clean as outlook does with Exchange... while so many out there try to copy outlook why not just go with outlook... How about Sun??? when will they release and outlook wannabe... I'm still waiting for that to be released with openoffice....

as for PC hardware... yes... x86 hardware is better known as PC hardware because in the past Apple ran only on RISC processors...

People that compare MacOS against Windows and say that Mac is stable...really... how can you compare... give MS 10 computers and tell them to make an OS that runs only on those 10 and then lets compare which one is more stable... of course Mac is stable it really doesn't need to be tested on that many different configurations... were as MS supports Millions of different devices and hardware and applications, etc... and it's been really stable in comparison...so for anyone who says MAC OS is better then lets have MAC develop and OS that can run on ALL PC hardware out there and then we can say it's a great OS... Even Linux supports more options then Mac... and Bill gates I think does have a stake in Apple... I believe a while back they purchased 50% of the company which kepted it going when it was about to die....why would they do that... to compete against themselves ad control the market...simple...

Status
Not open for further replies.