Microsoft Details Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Rollout

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
It installed on my gaming pc immediately but it hasn't installed on my surface pro 4 yet. I should also check my daughter's PC for the update as well as firmware...this is a good reminder

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
All of my windows machines run it just fine. All are custom built machines of all sorts. I have an i7 980x, AMD 1080t, AMD A10, AMD and nVidia GPUs, and my 17" MacBook Pro Bootcamp. Do some investigating with the proper tools (read SysInternals) and track down the source of your issue. I'd bet it's a driver causing your buggyness.

I installed the Fall update yesterday. Everything worked fine. Today I used DDU to clean out nvidia drivers and install the latest. Now the Start Menu doesn't work at all. I don't like Tiles anyway, joke is on them. Right-clicking on the Start icon works well enough I suppose.

What I need to work is working just fine so I can't be bothered to really investigate it at this point.

x58_fan

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
I've had major issues. Clean installed on an X58 setup. Directx doesn't seem to come with the fall update. Constant crashes in Radeon settings. Practically all games crash. Game mode seems to be crashing games rather than improving them. Built-in iso mounting is broken. Downloads an AMD64-based update for an Intel-based system? Waiting for bugs fixes before moving forward.

The Superposition Benchmark gained about 40 pts for me on 1080P Extreme setting. Windows 10 itself just acts really strange. I left-click on Start Menu and nothing. I right-click and get the expected menu from that input. I click the Microsoft Store taskbar icon and nothing happens. I right-click on the task bar itself afterward, and the Store finally launches as expected. Pretty odd behavior for a system functioning fine otherwise. A GPU driver would not be expected to produce these types of behaviors. Like I said, enough is working for me I don't see investing time in getting to the bottom of it all as worth.

I hope you get yours sorted.

BMoshier

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
Hello,

I downloaded and installed the Fall Creator Update, but unfortunately my applications / programs written by others than Microsoft stopped working. I checked with several of the vendors and they say it is a known issue and they're working on it.

The forums says they've known since the preview came out and now its time for the rollout and they're still not working.

What seems in common is this: In each case they're starting other programs with shared memory, pipes, etc.

I rolled back to the previous version (1703, I think) and everything works again.

I do want to get to the Fall Creator Update. I don't use a computer to run Windows, I use it for the applications (computational, video editing, programming) and games.

RobWilJas

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
My i7 5820k/Asus X99-A system was was working perfect before the update, now the keyboard and mouse no longer work after the screen turns off and it BSODs when shutting down. I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it yet but all drivers are up to date. It's really irritating that updates do this.

shpankey

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2017
WARMON6: it’s a known issue: “For Windows 10 users who have updated to the Fall Creators Update, NVIDIA has identified issues where certain 8 bpc HDTVs have scrambled displays due to automatic application of 12 bpc after the update process. As a workaround, NVIDIA suggests setting 8 bpc for output color depth in the NVIDIA Control Panel after enabling “Use NVIDIA color settings.”

infinice

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
Fascinating how some people have endless problems with Windows yet others... Has anybody ever seen any studies/articles on the cause(s)?
I'm a Windows 7 user who trudges from disaster to disaster (yes, on different hardware), and am tempted to profanity too.

infinice

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
Re Mr. Profanity-
As another wretch that trudges from Windows disaster to disaster i have some sympathy- i'm also tempted to swear (and have a well-used voodoo doll of Bill Gates). At this point, after too many years of this ...stuff... (yes, on different hardware), i'm wondering if anybody has ever done any studies on the cause (it can't be all TEBTK: The Error Behind the Keyboard). The notoriously poor handling of memory in Windows is widely known, and is why the server market is owned by Linux, for just one example.
Has anybody seen any research on this mysterious erraticism in user experience?
-Old Windows 7 holdout about to make jump to Windows 10, but fearing....

There's nothing more to fear. It's like any other operating system. It works near flawlessly but the moment you install 3rd party software of any kind, all bets off.

I did go back and test my situation, uninstalling/reinstalling 3 times to confirm Geforce Experience version included in 388.00 driver completely borks Windows 10 Fall Update for me. As soon as I clean out Geforce Experience, everything works fine. It's unfortunate too, as I really like Shadowplay. I wish that software didn't try to do literally everything.

Ilya__

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
@Karma77Police I think something may be wrong with your drivers. Most people have seen a performance increase going to Win10 from Win7: http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-but-what-about-performance/
This makes sense since they rewrote how win10 thread scheduler works in Win10.

Back to topic, the creator update works perfectly on my self-built 6700K + 970GTX; was gaming on it last night.

leoscott

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Several people have said it works perfectly. That is not totally true. I have 2 computers running 10 Pro and after the update they started exhibiting annoying problems. On one, my wife's, she does the MSN jigsaw puzzle. It used to work fine in IE11 and now when she tries to run it the puzzle comes up blank. It runs fine in Chrome. On another, my laptop, my antivirus is set to start up minimized. After the update it no longer does that even though the advanced setting is still set to start minimized.

I have now upgraded some 2 dozen machines, both laptops and desktops, several of the laptops dating back to the XP days. To date there have been absolutely no issues. My experience is that those reporting issues had issues before the upgrade, and a clean install will, in all likelihood, fix the problems.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
The forced Windows update totally killed my Asus laptop. The display is just black anywhere past the bios screen. Can't even do a full restore. Screw you Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.