Microsoft Discloses Contents Of A National Security Letter For The First Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmeahole

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
FIREFOXX04 100% correct! i was just thinking the same thing when i seen your post! WE DON'T LIKE YOU AND YOUR ANNOYING AUTOPLAYING ADS TOMS!

<<Mod Edit for language>>

whiteruski

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Yup. That is why my adblock is enabled for tomshardware. Without adblock on, I do not think I would frequent toms, let alone visit it every day.

JonDol

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
An Ad blocker is mandatory for this website to ensure *normal* reading. About autoplaying ads, they are mostly HTML 5 and afaik all browsers excepting Microsoft's have either built-in functionality to prevent autoplaying of HTML5 videos either plugins to do so. I still use at home the old Opera 12 (in a sandbox ofc) because it has built-in ability to block (almost?) any HTML element (i.e. the elements containing the ads). It's still ok for most of my browsing but doest't not handle HTML 5 (so the ads on this website are not an issue) and doesn't either handle the new codecs used by YouTube.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
I used to use adblock with limited advertising allowed until those damn auto-playing videos showed up here no I have to block everything. I hope the post an article to announce when they get rid of them so I can allow sane advertising through again.

You need to invest more thought into your response. Educate yourself before your actions seem like that of a fool. I have a lot of security on my end. I choose what comes in and goes out to the best of my ability. You do need to learn more about controlling your data.

With ad blocker plus alone 7 things are blocked on this page. Are they ads? Idk. When I visit that page there are 34 items blocked. Tom's Hardware is not a simple question and answer forum. Even so Tom's is providing a service with the forum alone. Beyond that they are testing new technology, reviewing products, educating the consumer and do a LOT of work. Then there are volunteers who help keep this place clean and help to ensure a structured environment where people know they can come with questions, concerns, needs or just to help others. They keep coming back every day because of the ambiance of this place.

The monetary investment that supports Tom's Hardware is real. You Digmeahole say WE DON'T LIKE YOU AND YOUR ANNOYING AUTOPLAYING ADS TOMS!. How do you suggest Tom's make money to provide the services they do? Through the newspaper and TV? Nope. Advertisements/sponsors allow this forum to exist yet you don't like it. That's cool. We all have opinions and we express them. However with ABP you wouldn't see any ads. It is your fault you haven't learned that yet. Your placing blame where it hasn't been earned.

Honey and vinegar comes to mind.

dstarr3

Distinguished
No joke, adblock is absolutely necessary to successfully browse this website. This site is one of the best examples on the internet of advertising being severely detrimental to a user's experience.

sunny420

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
I use Ad Blocker Ultimate and NoScript. No ads, no auto-play content wherever and whenever I choose. To not use these tools is absurd.

alextheblue

Distinguished

I use Adguard, but I have it turned off for Tom's and a few other sites I want to support financially. I don't have any issues. I've tested them in a couple of browsers and it functions fine even without adblockers. On a low-spec machine or with older browser versions it might be more of an issue.

If nobody supports them, they may one day have to scale back, go heavy with sponsors, or go behind a paywall - all bad options. They could and probably should provide an optional paid ad-free experience for those who say they want to support them, but are currently using an adblocker. Of those users, I figure about 3% would actually put their money where their mouth is but hey, that's 3% more than today. I've got other ideas too but they're even less pleasant.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I'll support them by whitelisting them once they adopt a less alienating advertising model. Until then, their current approach to advertising is not one I can support. Adblocking exists because ads have gotten unreasonable and intrusive. This website is the perfect demonstration of how advertising has gotten so bad as to necessitate adblocking.

Ronshere

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
"Microsoft To Continue Fighting For More Transparency" ???
Is there anything more transparent than Windows 10??
Everything you do is recorded and passed on to the government
so why are they pretending to be fighting for you?

Yes, they were obviously being hypocritical. And they must know nobody believes them. They've proven they use strong-arm tactics with its users and the collection of your telemetry data is old news. Fortunately the consumer can educate themselves and reduce that even farther than MS would have you believe. They are only now showing those new options because they've been known about for quite some time. They're in the business of making money, not friends.

You then have your ISP collecting data with Trump(TRUMP? Really? Grab her by the? Really. He'd be the worst steak at a BBq. The way he flips so often. He has no political roots. He doesn't believe in anything other than himself and money. That cat becomes a bit more difficult to shave. But it can be done.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I was wondering what NSL, FBI and MS has to do with Ads. And spent some time reread the entire articles, until I saw Ad Block Plus shows that 34 ads was blocked in this page.

Pixdawg

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
"What autoplaying ad," asks the guy with a good HOSTS file. No adblock, no separate ad-stopping software--just a good HOSTS file--the one from MVPS.org.

InvalidError

Titan

Sadly, it feels like a necessity for most websites IMO. I can't read a page that has one of those obnoxious animated GIF/PNG or video ads on it grating on my nerves. That's why I have AdBlock with "acceptable ads" enabled, which basically allows only static images and text ads.

Is it the chicken or the egg? They have to pay their bills. This isn't a one man band obviously. Tom's places ads to pay those bills. Joe Nerd then releases a blocker. Tom's bills don't change. They then create a different ad to circumvent Joe Nerd's blocker. Nerd changes their blocker. And on and on and on. No wonder they have to be as intrusive as possible to get their ads viewed and then possibly clicked. Nope. They should have just laid down and died right? Our static ads didn't work. Forget about advertising altogether guys. We're beat.

InvalidError

Titan

Changing the way ads get delivered to get around ad-blockers is one thing, intrusive ads are another. Few things motivate people to use ad-blockers more than obnoxious ads. I started using adblock after a page I had left open auto-played a video ad with audio that woke me up at 2-3AM. When websites started finding ways around adblock, I added noscript and a redirect trap.

BTW, the main reason obnoxious ad placement is becoming so rampant is because advertisers are willing to pay more to place those types of ads in those in-your-face location that break many people's desire to visit the site. I have seen THG with adblock off and I would quit visiting the site altogether if I had to put up with that.

Long as it doesn't get as obnoxious as SR-71 Blackbird's avatars I'm okay with it:) The Ryzen gif was so loud and flashy it deserved an epilepsy warning. The gifs are as loud as the mod's infinite knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS