Microsoft Display Dock Free With Lumia 950 XL (With Caveats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghoul

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
But cannot buy separately. So, do I have to dispose my current lumia and pay 649 to get that?

FUNANDJAM

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
If you peek at the official Terms & Conditions, you can see that the offer of a free Display Dock runs just from Nov 20, 2015 - Jan 31, 2015.

Think the author of thsi article has been watching too much back to the future.

chubbyinternetnerd

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
I bought a 950 from AT&T this morning and gotta tracking number saying it's arriving tomorrow. So 12/11 seems a bit far off for the Windows 10 Mobile update considering it's shipping with it installed. The December 11 date might be referring to the updates being pushed out to existing phones. Either that or I'm getting a phone tomorrow with beta software.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
It looks like they have all the current supply of 950s sent to ATT. You cannot pre-order the 950 directly from Microsoft. Since I couldn't I pre-ordered the 950XL. Which is nice That I am now getting a gift from Microsoft for the difference in price of the base 950 and the XL.
Also it says it will ship by November 25th. It might be different for people in different countries. I live in California which I thought Toms Hardware was based.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
If you peek at the official Terms & Conditions, you can see that the offer of a free Display Dock runs just from Nov 20, 2015 - Jan 31, 2015.

Think the author of thsi article has been watching too much back to the future.

Hah, yes, typo. Jan 31 2016.

Spawn73

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
Ghoul Wrote:

But cannot buy separately. So, do I have to dispose my current lumia and pay 649 to get that?

Answer:

Why do you want the dock without an Lumia 950?

MOD EDIT: Direct insults to users and this forum are not tolerated.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
i wouldnt go out and buy this phone in a hurry just to get the dock.. because microsoft might change their mind after you buy it, and not send you anything.

You can't trust anything they say after the OneDrive debacle where they punished free users for something .0005% of people were doing on the 1TB plans.

cheese9k

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Shame this is US only. After playing with one of these a couple weeks back, I was really impressed. This probably would have made me purchase it :p

Then again, I am pretty much a woman when I see something that says "Special offer".

D

Deleted member 1353997

Ghoul Wrote:

Answer:

Why do you want the dock without an Lumia 950?

If you use your head a little, you can come up with a bunch of reasons why someone would want that dock without a Lumia 950.

• - You bought the phone when there were no bundles available, and now you're waiting for the dock to become available so you can buy it separately.

- You somehow broke or lost the dock and need a new one, but don't feel like buying a new phone for that.

- You want to keep one dock at home, and one at work, so you only need to plug your phone and not the keyboard, mouse, and screen.

You know what? I'd rather be a "loser" than a retard who just signed up to a forum full of losers only to call the people there "losers", and can't even think straight.

jxmiller

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
Actually they may have changed the terms for the dock >
"[12] Valid with purchase and offer registration between 11/25/15 and 1/31/16 while supplies last. Redeem promotional code online through Microsoft Store by "

jxmiller

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
And, since I ordered on the 16th, I went ahead and cancelled my order. I will order on the 25th, maybe. Was not too impressed with how MS handles cancellations. It took 3 representatives to get cancelled. The first 2 told me I could not cancel, obviously they were wrong.

vanquished

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Shame this is US only. After playing with one of these a couple weeks back, I was really impressed. This probably would have made me purchase it :p

Then again, I am pretty much a woman when I see something that says "Special offer".

Not sure where you are but I know a lot of places in Europe the Lumia 950 XL is coming bundled with the dock anyways.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

The offer is available in many countries, but you would have to check your retailer / Microsoft Store for details.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

The offer is available in many countries, but you would have to check your retailer / Microsoft Store for details.

FYI, I'm asking for more info on all this--sit tight. :)

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
I bought a 950 from AT&T this morning and gotta tracking number saying it's arriving tomorrow. So 12/11 seems a bit far off for the Windows 10 Mobile update considering it's shipping with it installed. The December 11 date might be referring to the updates being pushed out to existing phones. Either that or I'm getting a phone tomorrow with beta software.

Umm, I'm told that your phone should arrive with Windows 10 build 10586. (I'm curious what it actually says the OS is when you get it. Please share with us when you can!)

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

FYI, I'm asking for more info on all this--sit tight. :)

Ok, so: I am told that the Display Dock deal is good at the Microsoft Online Stores in the UK, Ireland, and Germany (as well as, obviously, the U.S.) However, a colleague (thanks, Alex Davies) discovered that the deal is available in Canada, too: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Microsoft-Lumia-950-XL--Unlocked/productID.326606200

Deltaman

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015
The few days of earlier availability for a Lumia 950 purchased thru ATT will appeal to some, but you might also consider that an UNLOCKED 950 will also be available shortly ("Ships by Nov. 25") directly from the USA Microsoft store for $50~ $100 less than from ATT. An unlocked 950 will receive future software & firmware updates directly from Microsoft — rather than waiting sometrimes for a year or more, before ATT decides to deliver those updates to the ATT-variant of the same model. Microsoft's return policy is also more-forgiving than ATT's: NO restocking fee, vs. 30% at ATT. Possibly, the best reason for purchasing from ATT, is being able to pay for the phone over many months, but that does lock you into an ATT plan 'til the phone is paid-off...

jasondillfan75

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015
Autoupdating firmware is very dangerous. From past experience, I can say this is not something to be left to hardware vendors. Look into the Heartbleed bug, and all of these other issues that have come from issues with default router firmware. It's just not worth it. Flash your router with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. If you want to buy one pre-flashed, go to FlashRouters. Or buy one yourself and flash it. Just get off default firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.