Microsoft Does Not Plan To Change Data Gathering Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the makers of spybot have come out with a tool that shuts off a lot of the gathering. this one is pretty good and turns off a lot of things people did not know to turn off outside the privacy settings which actually turn off little to nothing.

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

still if you use cortana, then nothing can be changed, there is no way to use it and not be spied on. it comes with the "service"

edit: it also works on win 7 and 8 to kill the new updates they put out mining those OS's as well.

Bummer. Honestly It's a bad idea for windows in my opinion. Less people will be wanting to get windows if it has ad garbage on it, making them more viable for Linux.

If windows stays the way it is by being paid to get only, plus gets rid of most of the data tracking, it will be a good OS. I'll still be buying it (because I want to buy it).

If somebody wants to keep using Linux or another free OS, let them.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'd pay for it to not have the collecting done. in the past they had toyed with a free ad based version and a paid non-ad one which is fine to me since i won't use the free one. but to make it paid for (new copy is still $100) AND ad based is just too much to ask for many people.

i know better tweaks are coming to kill the collecting based on the enterprise version which let's it be turned off. just got to be patient and it won't be long before we can kill all the nasty data gathering anyway.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Bummer. Honestly It's a bad idea for windows in my opinion. Less people will be wanting to get windows if it has ad garbage on it, making them more viable for Linux.

Doesn't seem to be hurting Android usage. Ubuntu and Firefox OS aren't exactly cannibalizing Android sales.

If somebody wants to keep using Linux or another free OS, let them.

Wait, are you saying somehow something is preventing them from continuing to do so??

You wont find ads just floating around Windows. A lot of this pertains to the application store where you might see adds much like in the Google Play store or the Apple App store.

So for most desktop users it is not important unless they plan to use the Windows Store.

Let us not forget even Apple does this for iOS.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
apple has siri in the iWorld, google has their assistant and now MS has cortana. all the same idea, talk to the pc and it can do a lot handsfree.

and windows has a store like itunes, google play and the others. they wanted a piece of that pie as well like apple and google enjoy. they get 40% of the cost of a program sold on the store. big money maker for apple and google so MS figured may as well also.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
remember....nothing is free...let me give you suggestion....start shutting down your computer, not let it got to sleep....in the middle of the night my system kept coming on when i installed windows 10....i removed it and went back to win 7 ultimate...now every night when i go to bed i shut down my computer....lesson learned

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
remember....nothing is free...let me give you suggestion....start shutting down your computer, not let it got to sleep....in the middle of the night my system kept coming on when i installed windows 10....i removed it and went back to win 7 ultimate...now every night when i go to bed i shut down my computer....lesson learned

More importantly, I also won't go to 10 due to the update policies. I do not have the forced spam festival for 10 going on in my 7 machines cause they are all set to do no updating. I have to go in, tell it to update, select what I want to update, etc. But I'm not afraid to read a few about what the update is doing, etc. like so much of the 'gimme' world today.

alextheblue

Distinguished
windows has a store like itunes, google play and the others. they wanted a piece of that pie as well like apple and google enjoy. they get 40% of the cost of a program sold on the store. big money maker for apple and google so MS figured may as well also.

Minor correction, these app stores are all getting a 30% cut. Otherwise yes, MS is just following suit.

Shodoman

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012

Some computers do that because sleep saves the data in use just in ram... after some time the system needs to refresh the ram so it turns on (especially true for laptops).

If you hibernate the data is written to the storage device (HDD/ SSD) a wake up refresh ram would not be needed.

I don't know if hybrid sleep needs to refresh so often though. Maybe i didn't catch my system refresh or maybe my motherboard has some features that enables it to refresh ram without wake up. After all it can charge trough usb while shut down...i'll look it up

My point was it's just the settings, not the OS. You are just a bit crazy:)

8R_Scotch

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
Windows has some policies that have helped curb piracy. A LOT of piracy happens when people need the OS, don't have the means to buy it at full price and have the technical skills needed to get and run a pirate copy.

Eventually MS figured out that giving discounts to students might be a good idea, and in fact it was. Students are the principle demographic for software piracy and they could get windows *cheap*. I got windows 8.1 pro for next to nothing and got upgraded to W10 Pro retail license with no issue.

The upgrade to W10 from W7 & W8 likewise has the potential to get a lot of people that would otherwise be OS pirates onboard.

What they seem to be forgetting, however, is that people can just go back to priacy if they F-up W10 with adds and uneeded tracking. So far MS hasn't thoroughly abused it's W10 traking data and it's secretive and compulsory updates, the main 2 sources of worry on W10. However, their mere presence causes us to be nervous, MS has screwed people over in the past and if their new business models don't pan out, or if there's a change in policies in a future change in the higher ups, these features and the liberal license terms can come back and bite us in the a.

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
Windows has some policies that have helped curb piracy. A LOT of piracy happens when people need the OS, don't have the means to buy it at full price and have the technical skills needed to get and run a pirate copy.

Eventually MS figured out that giving discounts to students might be a good idea, and in fact it was. Students are the principle demographic for software piracy and they could get windows *cheap*. I got windows 8.1 pro for next to nothing and got upgraded to W10 Pro retail license with no issue.

The upgrade to W10 from W7 & W8 likewise has the potential to get a lot of people that would otherwise be OS pirates onboard.

What they seem to be forgetting, however, is that people can just go back to priacy if they F-up W10 with adds and uneeded tracking. So far MS hasn't thoroughly abused it's W10 traking data and it's secretive and compulsory updates, the main 2 sources of worry on W10. However, their mere presence causes us to be nervous, MS has screwed people over in the past and if their new business models don't pan out, or if there's a change in policies in a future change in the higher ups, these features and the liberal license terms can come back and bite us in the a.

No. Piracy is a problem with people who are selling non-legit copies with their "built" computer to their customers (that's $100 per computer). I know people who runs businesses down the street that uses one Windows license for a bunch of computers he custom built and sold. Those who pirate Windows for themselves know exactly what they are doing. The funny thing is that most likely, the hardware is probably cost 10x more - so yeah they can afford it.

If you feel this way then you might as well stop using any smart phone or any free browser, especially Chrome.

Most people use other products which spy on you much worse than Windows 10 ever would yet freak out over 10 more.

I think Microsoft changed the wording in updates because the majority of people do not read nor would they understand the updates. Hell even in 7/8.1 the information was basic. You needed to go read the KB article to get the full info and that would be even harder for people to understand.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

thanks for the head up :)

i always had the 40% number in my head. read it somewhere, sometime and it has stuck. but hey 30 or 40% is still a nice chunk of change to add to the bottom line. this is one thing i don't fault MS for, it is more for the developers who want their programs to reach a bigger audience to worry about. not like apply, google, steam..... don't enjoy the same cut of the action to host stuff for developers.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I haven't changed my data gathering policy either. I'll be moving to Linux Mint sooner than later.

Then do it. What's stopping you?

If data mining is that big of a concern, then do what you say you're going to do instead of just making empty threats. If enough people do it, Microsoft may relent.
(they did it before with other controversial policies...e.g.: Xbox One having digital-only games, no used games).

Hell...Linux and similar OSes are the only real bastions for those that want zero data mining with their Internet-connected devices (and even that's a stretch).

There is still data mining possible though via your ISP. If people are that freaked out about it they need to go off the grid then because no matter what they do their data will be mined.

Status
Not open for further replies.