Discussion Microsoft 'doubles down' on their Windows 11 CPU support - only adds ONE specific CPU after re-examination

If you recently bought the Surface Studio 2 with the i7-7820HQ you've been given a pass, but that's it. No AMD Zen 1 (and earlier) or any other Intel 7th gen (and earlier) CPUs will be supported.
I found the tidbit about kernal mode crashes interesting. Why would the piece of hardware matter?? Older CPU would just take more time. This is just Microsoft baking a low water mark into the OS. This equates to saying, "The hardware is fine but CPUs older than X are too slow FOR THE OPERATING SYSTEM'S EXPECTATIONS."

Reactions: harrypnyce
A tale of two CPUs - the i7-7700k vs. the i7-7820HQ
Microsoft decided that the i7-7820HQ makes the grade for Windows 11 while the i7-7700k does not.

Specs directly from Intel.
i7-7700k
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-7700k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

i7-7820HQ
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...7820hq-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

The i7-7700k is clearly the faster CPU in EVERY aspect. Which is to be expected since it's designed as a 91W TDP desktop CPU while the i7-7820HQ is designed for the slimline/mobile segment and has a TDP of 45W.

The ONLY obvious reason Windows 11 supports the i7-7820HQ and not the i7-7700k (or any other Intel CPU that surpasses the i7-7820HQ's performance) is because the Microsoft Surface Studio 2 currently uses the i7-7820HQ CPU and is still available for purchase, today.

This kind of blatant unfair favoritism sickens me. Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves.

And according to The Verge, that only counts for an inplace upgrade from 10 to 11.

A standalone install of 11....not so much
https://www.theverge.com/22644194/m...inimum-system-requirements-processors-changes

Of course, all is in flux. We shall see what actually happens.

Yeah, it seems that Microsoft is much faster at backpedaling than moving forward.

But this still doesn't help those that want 'full support' from Microsoft. If you've got the i7-7820HQ you're good but if you've got the better, faster i7-7700k you're on your own. This doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling, Microsoft. :rolleyes:

...and yes, Microsoft has changed support for Windows 11 so much now that another change is inevitable. <sigh>

Colif

Win 11 Master
it also depends on what MB you put them in as a lot of the problem isn't the CPU, its the MB

Z270, H270 & B250 don't have PTT support in bios

So if Intel didn't even put it in the chipset its hard for Microsoft to do anything?
only option then is a chip and who explains that to majority of the people with these CPU? Or tells them they have to buy it?

Be a nice little earner for a repair shop

Last edited:

Joseph_138

Distinguished

If you recently bought the Surface Studio 2 with the i7-7820HQ you've been given a pass, but that's it. No AMD Zen 1 (and earlier) or any other Intel 7th gen (and earlier) CPUs will be supported.
I found the tidbit about kernal mode crashes interesting. Why would the piece of hardware matter?? Older CPU would just take more time. This is just Microsoft baking a low water mark into the OS. This equates to saying, "The hardware is fine but CPUs older than X are too slow FOR THE OPERATING SYSTEM'S EXPECTATIONS."

There will be hacks. There are probably many people working on this problem at this very moment, just like there are whenever a new version of OS X comes out that drops old hardware.

USAFRet

Titan
There will be hacks. There are probably many people working on this problem at this very moment, just like there are whenever a new version of OS X comes out that drops old hardware.
And a lot of them will be malicious.
Are your skills up to the task of determining good from bad?

By the time Win 10 falls off the supported list, any PC not capable of running Win 11 will be almost a decade old. Time for a new box, and repurpose the old one.

noel_prg_la1979

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
Z270, H270 & B250 don't have PTT support in bios

nope. wrong.

some Z270 boards DO have the Intel PTT option in the BIOS

Asus has released some BIOS updates for some of their Z270 boards that provide the PTT option (ex. Asus PRIME Z270-P). it's up to the motherboard maker to provide updated BIOSes or firmware that would add or enable the PTT option for such boards so check with the motherboard manufacturers for any new BIOS updates for them

No AMD Zen 1 (and earlier) or any other Intel 7th gen (and earlier) CPUs will be supported.
I found the tidbit about kernal mode crashes interesting.
In the Zen 1 case i find it interesting that AMD was involved in the decision. I wonder if Microsoft would have needed AMD to provide resources and AMD decided not to bother.

Requires collaboration with Intel and AMD.

I'm fully confident Ryzen 1000 should be considered "Zen .5" as it seems so rushed and unready compared to the follow-ons. Probably needed to get a market presence with a proper processor even with it's many flaws though. I think AMD wishes it to go away now and this is an easy way to push it into the same oblivion as Bulldozer and Excavator.

Last edited:
...and AMD decided not to bother.
If that is the case, I wonder why.
I'm trying to think about it from a 'money' point of view. The only thing I can think of is if the mid-grade 1st-gen Ryzens (maybe Ryzen 5 1400) and lower just perform so horribly in Windows 11 that AMD doesn't want a re-hash of their performance deficit to give the AMD name a black eye. Especially since they're riding high right now - gotta protect their position.

Do you think it would've cost AMD a lot of extra resources/money? I don't.
I really can't say how much involvement/resources it would take. My point is that doing it, whatever the outlay, offers zero payback in money terms. And not nearly enough in 'good-will' in their estimation. What is more likely is they might feel there will be harm to good-will as people continue to deride it's lackluster performance and inherent memory compatibility issues compared to the latter Ryzen CPU's.

Remember that in business good-will is as highly valued as cash reserves, and there's quite a process for valuing it. If your market thinks your products are <Mod Edit> they won't want it irrespective of the facts, and that's valuable. AMD's currently clawing back good-will from the days of Bulldozer and Excavator so that the market does want it so I feel AMD would like to leave the Summit Ridge processors behind... along with those older ones. Win11 makes for a clean break and easy to do that. So in this sense it's neither an Engineering nor Financial decision but purely a Marketing decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021
I'm fully confident Ryzen 1000 should be considered "Zen .5" as it seems so rushed and unready compared to the follow-ons. Probably needed to get a market presence with a proper processor even with it's many flaws though. I think AMD wishes it to go away now and this is an easy way to push it into the same oblivion as Bulldozer and Excavator.
The AMD Ryzen™ Embedded R1102G with Radeon™ Vega 3 Graphics is simple an AMD 3020e that is supported by win11.
I think the only difference between both is that AMD 3020e supports 2 channels of ram while R1102G only supports 1.

what flaws? im still on first gen ryzen, and im not seeing flaws with it