Microsoft Edge Moves Away From Passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
It is kind of the right way to go but it's not without issues. Either it'll lock users into ecosystems (browsers in this case), as the authentication in locked to the ecosystem, or we'll have a new, deeper level of security problem at our finger tips, if the security will be in some sort of open platform.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Microsoft wrote:
"Staying secure on the web is more important than ever. We trust web sites to process credit card numbers, save addresses and personal information and even to handle sensitive records like medical information."
The first statement is true and the second is not. One person doing something stupid and getting their personal information stolen is tragic, while a corporation doing something stupid and getting millions of people's personal information stolen should be a crime. I thought up a password that is secure and I can remember, why can't I use it everywhere I want. Corporations should air gap or something very close to that, our personal data and passwords since they take it without any way for us to opt out of their prying eyes. The real problem isn't on our end, it's on theirs.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Exactly, no one phished me for my Experian data, my Home Depot purchases, my Target purchases, my TMobile data (thanks Equifax? Experian? TransUnion? who can remember), my AshleyMadison... no wait, nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.