Microsoft Employees Fired Over Windows 8 Leaks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]valpanig[/nom]Wow, loosing job for a few meaningless images that don't look that much different from previous version of windows. Now only option those employees have is to become hackers and do some serious projects to make the world a better place.[/citation]
If they can't be trusted to keep something "meaningless" a secret, how can they be trusted to keep a big one that might be worth a lot of money? The idea isn't just to punish people for directly violating their terms of employment, but to actually try to weed out those people who might cause problems in the future, and potentially save the company a lot of time and money.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]huron[/nom]I can't ever figure out why people leak things like this - risk a decent job for what...Sometimes I do wonder if things have been "leaked" for publicity too.[/citation]
MS probably fired the employees for publicity too. Can't imagine how it's like working for MS. :)

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]valpanig[/nom]Wow, loosing job for a few meaningless images that don't look that much different from previous version of windows. Now only option those employees have is to become hackers and do some serious projects to make the world a better place.[/citation]
Are you actually for real with your comment? Are you familiar with the quantitative worth of intellectual property? Are you also aware that a leaked image today will mean a leaked source code tomorrow - or a leaked final product the day after that? I wonder how you would treat an employee that you cannot trust... These 2 employees are very lucky, if all they got were terminations.

^+1 The NDA these employees signed must have specifically stated the repercussions of this action. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that MS sues these two employees later, should their leaks cause damages.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Are you serious? That's BS... equivalent to saying that a sharp remark towards a co-worker today will be followed by a massacre tomorrow. Too far-fetched. Leaking an image doesn't necessarily entitle you to leak a source code.

And, again, I doubt it's even real. Most likely, it's just an advertising trick - same thing with Foxconn employees sued over leaking iPhone... nothing advertises better than a quality "leak".

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Wow...some of you have been drinking the conspiracy koolaid.

You go things your employment agreement says you can't - you get fired.

What about that don't ya'll understand???

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I think the comments on the screen shot are pretty funny. Of course it still looks like Windows 7...its still a work in progress. It was pretty much the same way with 7, as it transitioned from Vista. It didnt start looking any different until they were closer to the public beta, and even then, some features were still locked away.
TL;DR: Dont expect it to look much different for a while now.

They have the every right, obviously. What Microsoft should be doing is emulating (partly) what Apple has done: give 10 testers similar but slightly different products so it's easy to trace who's leaking it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I have been to the Microsoft campus in Redmond several times in my professional capacity. Quite honestly, it looks like a college campus and the work areas are very much what the developers want them to be. They are allowed to individualize for their own creativity. Pretty much anything goes. All is all, in is a very nice work environment.

The NDA process is standard operating procedure at all commercial (and government for that matter) software development activities. It is part of the way things are and when employees violate the rules, they deserve to be released.

verbalizer

Distinguished

awesome campus, was there in 2006.
are they still thinking of moving into Canada.?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
[citation][nom]malmental[/nom]awesome campus, was there in 2006.are they still thinking of moving into Canada.?[/citation]
Good question. As an international company, as bad as I would hate to see it happen, I could see how MS might benefit from such an arrangement.

G

I hope those people who are complaining about microsofts action understand that they were fired not because they leaked a picture but rather, leaked a copy of an os in development.

G

""brb. Going to check the torrents."

"amen"

The only thing more stupid than torrents are the people who brag about using them. Use the Net and direct download instead of eating up massive bandwidth.This is one of the reasons caps are being enforced."

I know people who brag about their 5-6 movies and use use 300-400 gigs a month letting it run 24/7.

G

@MS haters

I work at MS and I personally think its a great place to work :)

Djanarak

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
[citation][nom]T_T[/nom]^+1 The NDA these employees signed must have specifically stated the repercussions of this action. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that MS sues these two employees later, should their leaks cause damages.[/citation]

If their release of Windows 8 is as bad as Vista, suing might be their only source of revenue for the next few years. XD

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]zkevwlu[/nom]I'm more baffled at why the average consumers would even be interested in such an early prototype of a brand new OS...[/citation]

To test it out... curious about the new OS... there's a few reasons.

G

How do you not leak something as exciting as Windows 8. I say more beta's now. Let us play with whats next.

Status
Not open for further replies.