Microsoft: EU Deal Will Require 'Significant Change'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

randerson

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I was under the impression that oems can make the browser choice for their computers? If so then we might see under the table deals like Intel.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Out of curiousity, does Apple's OS have to jump through these hoops too?[/citation]

Let's wait a bit and see. Maybe Apple will be scared and do it willingly?

mariushm

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]guythepro[/nom]I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure FTP in Windows is handled by IE. Without IE installed, that won't work.[/citation]

No. There's a command line tool in each windows installation, which is simply derived from BSD and Linux versions of the tools.

If you open ftp.exe with Notepad or any other smarter text viewer, you'll see the following text: "Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved."

ftp.exe, nslookup.exe, finger.exe, rcp.exe and rsh.exe all contain licensed code from BSD operating system.

Anyway, the point is, the code you have to write to retrieve a file from the internet is about 10-20 lines, and doesn't need to use Internet Explorer at all.

You just have to open a socket to an IP, send the http 1.0 headers, save the bytes returned to drive and close the socket. It's a basic thing. You don't need Internet Explorer to display the page showing the browsers and selection.

For example, in the worst case you can just have a JPG picture that fills the whole application screen and send the application showing the picture the rectangular areas associated to each browser. You don't need a browser to render a HTML page or anything. When user clicks on an area representing a browser, a socket is opened to an IP and file is retrieved.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
I have had that as well when asking a customer over the phone what brand of computer. reply back its a power brand (as in they read power under the power button) or samsung or in one extreme case many years ago its the brightness computer make I was like umm what sir thats your monitor brightness control button what does it say on the front of the tower. Reply back Intel sir does it say Dell or HP or anything else yes HP. Ok then it is a HP. He then says its not really a tower it is pretty short I say ummm does it stand up right on your desk if so then it is labeled as a tower. He goes oh ok well it does but it is on the floor not on the desk. Ok sir can you hold a minute I got another call (click) bang phone on desk & swear a bit then (click) ok sir how can I help you. lol

ok so that was a useless story & not really anything to do with the article but at 6am it gave me a laugh thinking about funny customer calls lol I have had in the past. lol

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]This is over 10 years late. A bit before MS killed off Netscape would have been a good time for this. Now its just pointless bit of control the EU is imposing on MS. I guess we have MS to thank for the free browsers since back in the early 90's you had to pay for a browser. I am hoping 10 years from now IE has lost most of its market share at the hands of open source.[/citation]

you wana know what killed netscape? dumb ass it wasnt MS. MS couldnt stop netscape from taking over its web browser it was supposidly since i never used it better then IE in everyway. WHAT killed netscrape was it got so damn populer people hacked it to bits and that shitty little browser couldnt keep up with it. so when AOL paid for that junk it was finaly dead. MS is doing what no other web browser has yet to be able to do. stay alive when it gets populer.

besides this is meaningless other then the fact the EU is showing they are bullies. Every OS should have to abide by these rules or microsoft shouldnt. What major OS doesnt come bundled with a browser anyways. And please dont name of linux distros as i said major OS. some distro made in some guys garage doesnt count.

the EU is no better then teh "evil" they are claming they are stopping.

vaskodogama

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
this EU thing is funny, it's like install windows and then a popup comes from MS says "use ubuntu, it is free so you can save money..."
it is their software, their browser. what would EU expect? that MS sold it separately? BS

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mariushm[/nom]No. There's a command line tool in each windows installation, which is simply derived from BSD and Linux versions of the tools. If you open ftp.exe with Notepad or any other smarter text viewer, you'll see the following text: "Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved."ftp.exe, nslookup.exe, finger.exe, rcp.exe and rsh.exe all contain licensed code from BSD operating system.Anyway, the point is, the code you have to write to retrieve a file from the internet is about 10-20 lines, and doesn't need to use Internet Explorer at all. You just have to open a socket to an IP, send the http 1.0 headers, save the bytes returned to drive and close the socket. It's a basic thing. You don't need Internet Explorer to display the page showing the browsers and selection. For example, in the worst case you can just have a JPG picture that fills the whole application screen and send the application showing the picture the rectangular areas associated to each browser. You don't need a browser to render a HTML page or anything. When user clicks on an area representing a browser, a socket is opened to an IP and file is retrieved.[/citation]
Ok, stop. Breath. Think.
Does the guy who needs help choosing a browser know how to do any of that?
If some tree-hugging hippy who uses Linux and Firefox who wants to "help" his Windows using "friend" to stop using IE, what do they do?

A) Get the friend to buy Windows 7 with the Choice Screen and install Firefox from the version when the disk was printed, then go to Firefox website and update to the latest version?

B) Get the friend to install Windows 7 normally, then go to the Firefox website and download the latest version?

Answer B saves time, is more convenient and gives the end user 2 browsers for any websites that are incompatible with Firefox. Name me a savvy PC user that doesn't have 2 or 3 tools that do the same job and I will show you someone who isn't prepared.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]technuttso[/nom]That was a people business. Today's real big business is all about profits and people don't give a damn if this could hurt at long term as long as today feeds[/citation]

Holy SHIT. A BUSINESS is about making PROFIT. Well fuck me sideways!

Why are people so surprised about this nowadays? Are they just realizing businesses want to make money? Have they ever had a job before? Are there millions of collective farms out there that are suddenly letting people into the real world? Huh.

coolkev99

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
[citation][nom]rocky1234[/nom]Well I do hope that Apple has to go through the same thing at some point I mean come on it is only fair if one has to do it then everyone should have to. [/citation]

I don't think Microsoft or Apple should have to deal with this "Mafia". This screams corruption.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
[citation][nom]coolkev99[/nom]I don't think Microsoft or Apple should have to deal with this "Mafia". This screams corruption.[/citation]

I totally agree on that it should have never came to this but it has which is pretty sad. I also liked some of the comments that gave other examples of what would it be like if other industries were told to do the same thing eg: Chev forced to give options to install ford or dodge Motors & parts in their new cars & trucks. I know it is not the same thing exactly but it would be just as stupid as what Microsoft has been forced to do. I still think that anyone making a OS should have to do the same thing as microsoft has had to do. I also think that if these other browser makers are so keen on having this maybe they should pay a small amount of money to MS to cover the extra cost that MS has to take on to roll out updates from their servers & ther costs to reprogram all this after all I am sure Microsofts programmers most likely do not work for free. I know that the cost of doing this would not hurt Microsoft but it is just the point of it all the EU & other browser maker want their cake & be able to eat it too in the real world that does not always happen.

I am not a MS fanboy I use Firefox & IE8 they both have their good & bad points but I will never use Apples Safari I see it on to many systems at work & I find that it is kinda slow & maybe a bit buggy I could be wrong but that is what I have noticed from what I have seen on my clients systems so far.

prathameshdotinfo

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
I Personally don't favor Microsoft or Trust IE. I always preferred Opera over IE. But adding their company Browser in their own OS should not be treated as a crime.

& Fine upto 10% of annual turnover sounds Funny. Thats an unjustifiable punishment for just adding a small Browser of their own. With that law MS will have to strip down all their OS - so no Calculator, No Media Player, No Solitare, No Freecell, No everything.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]prathameshdotinfo[/nom]I Personally don't favor Microsoft or Trust IE. I always preferred Opera over IE. But adding their company Browser in their own OS should not be treated as a crime.& Fine upto 10% of annual turnover sounds Funny. Thats an unjustifiable punishment for just adding a small Browser of their own. With that law MS will have to strip down all their OS - so no Calculator, No Media Player, No Solitare, No Freecell, No everything.[/citation]
This is exactly the point I am try to make.
Computer calculators existed before Windows.
Other software companies wrote calculator programs after Windows.
If they can force MS to give rival browsers free install space then other utilities aren't far behind.

Maybe the US government should step in and ask the EU to keep their noses out of the business of US based companies, just like when they tried to interfere with Sun/Oracle merger.

Also, lets see them do it to a Chinese company. EU does not like what some future Chinese company does and threatens to fine 10% of annual takings. Chinese government steps in a closes every single EU based site and puts tens of thousands of EU based workers on the dole, or, keeps trading and says to the EU, "Make me give you the money, kiss my ass".

MS needs to grow a pair and tell the EU to get stuffed, without Windows almost all business in the EU would grind to a halt and in the time it takes to find an alternative system the EU would lose productivity in the Trillions as all banking, insurance, air travel, etc etc grinds to a halt.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Out of curiousity, does Apple's OS have to jump through these hoops too?[/citation]
Apple censors malcontent customers away from the internet, so there's little risk for them to have the eu notice they do the same. And appearently nobody in the EU decision making mashine has a brain of his/her own, so they wouldn't notice if they ran across a macbook.

bingguo12

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Nowadays, people can enjoy videos in different ways, such as youtube.com and other online video websites, iPod/Zune and other portable players, and also play video on computer, and you can also make you own videos with windows movie make or iMovie for Mac users. So how to convert videos between different video formats is a big problem for both windows and Mac users. Today I will share you guys two powerful video converter for Mac and Windows users.

For Mac users, this powerful video converter for mac is really nice.
Let's use it to convert a video for Example

steps.jpg

Step 1: Add File
Click “Add File” button to load the video you want to converter

Step 2: Choose profile and adjust settings
You can find your output video format from a drop-list called “Profile”
You can also adjust the specific settings of the output video, such as “Resolution”, “Bitrate”, “Encoder” and so on.

Step 3: Edit Video
1. Effect:
You can adjust the “Brightness”, “Contrast”, “Saturation” and “Volume”
effect.jpg

2. Trim:
You are allowed to pick up any part of the video to convert.
trim.jpg

3. Crop:
To remove the black edges and choose a play area to convert.
crop.jpg

Step 4: Start Conversion
Click “Start” button to begin your conversion and you will get your video soon.

For Windows users, you need Total Video Converter.

screen-new.jpg

Step 1: Load Video
You can load your videos into the converter by clicking “Add File”

Step 2: Choose output info
This converter provides you many output profiles for you to choose, you can choose your output profiles according to your need. And also you can just choose a certain video format.

You can also adjust the settings of your output profiles. You can even save a certain settings as your own output settings.

settings-new.jpg

Step 3: Conversion
Click “Start” button to begin your conversion and few mins later you can get your video.

Tips: How to effect, trim and crop the video to improve your output video quality.
After your Load your video you can click “Effect” button to access the effect panel

1: Effect
Adjust the video effect as you want: Brightness, Contrast, Saturation and Deinterlacing.

effect-new.jpg

2: Trim
Clip your video, pick up any part of your video to convert.
You have 3 ways to do trim:

1.Dragging the slider

2.Controlling the “Trim From” and “Trim To” button

3.Setting the Start and End time

trim-new.jpg

3: Crop
Adjust video size, Cut off the black edge of your video to let you enjoy your movie in full screen by click the 'Crop' button
You have 2 ways to do crop:

1.Move your mouse cursor onto one of the eight small adjustment boxes on the cropping frame and drag the crop frame to crop the video such as cutting off top and bottom black bar. The cropped result will be shown on the Output Preview at the same time

2.Type the value directly or set the value in "Left", "Right" and "Cropped area size" area to set the position of the cropping frame.

crop-new.jpg

You can also select the aspect ratio from the Zoom Mode drop-down list. There are 4 choices for you: Full Screen, 16:9, 4:3 and Keep Original.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]bebangs[/nom]only microsoft? how about apple and their very very monopolistic behaviors. who checks them?[/citation]
Nobody. Everybody outside the IT business have been trained to ignore them.

Status
Not open for further replies.