Microsoft Explains Netbook vs Small Notebook PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasteoftime

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
Welcome to Tom's Hardware lol alrigh! We don't proofread our articles. That would take too much time when we have such groundbreaking news to report. I don't want to cause a giant faught or anything, but come on guys. Seriously?

coopchennick

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]wasteoftime[/nom]I don't want to cause a giant faught or anything, but come on guys. Seriously?[/citation]

Come on man. Seriously?

roastmaster

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
[citation][nom]wasteoftime[/nom]Welcome to Tom's Hardware lol alrigh! We don't proofread our articles. That would take too much time when we have such groundbreaking news to report. I don't want to cause a giant faught or anything, but come on guys. Seriously?[/citation]

GAINT FAUGHT? You mean giant fight. Correct yourself before you correct others. Moron.

simplyderp

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
[citation][nom]roastmaster[/nom]GAINT FAUGHT? You mean giant fight. Correct yourself before you correct others. Moron.[/citation]

[citation][nom]coopchennick[/nom]Come on man. Seriously?[/citation]

He mistyped on purpose to mock. I don't appreciate 'news' like this, but - damnit - I read it anyway.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
[citation][nom]roastmaster[/nom]GAINT FAUGHT? You mean giant fight. Correct yourself before you correct others. Moron.[/citation]
likewise.

The use of "faught" appears in the article, it was another jab.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Microsoft = FAIL

We'll be sticking with the term "netbooks". But they DO need to stay small, portable and low powered. 11" LCD screen models are coming out - if we see another increase in size, call then notebooks. As thats what the $1500~2500 micro-sized high powered notebooks are.

skreenname

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I used to have that picture of the EEE in my binder.
It was the cheapest laptop out there when I noticed it and I was determined to get it.
I ended up getting a Toshiba though.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
[citation][nom]wasteoftime[/nom]Welcome to Tom's Hardware lol alrigh! We don't proofread our articles. That would take too much time when we have such groundbreaking news to report. I don't want to cause a giant faught or anything, but come on guys. Seriously?[/citation]

Why is that on every single report someone has to point out a spelling error? I mean , come on , get used to it , its going to happen when they are throwing out reports as fast as they can.

What I find most interesting here, is asking an interested party for the definition.

If you asked General Motors to define "automobile", you'd have gotten: 6-tons, 4WD, fully automatic personal vehicle with leather upholstery and all other creature comfort built-in and a cargo capacity of 3,000 lb.

If you ask a dictionary, "automobile" comes from "auto"-self, and mobile: "that moves by itself" - defining a vehicle (any vehicle) that produces its own energy to move. Traditionally, any 3- or 4-wheeled (or more) vehicle with an engine on an open road is an automobile (by opposition with a motorcycle, which needs a driver to be balanced, and with a train, which must run on a dedicated track).

As such, the 500 lb., two-stroke engine 4-speed manual shift Citroen 2CV (where 'creature comfort' was limited to electric rain sweepers on a later revision)) was also an automobile.

So, why bother asking Microsoft about the definition of a PC? For Microsoft, a PC is currently a quad-core with 4 Gb of RAM, a terabyte of HD space, a 40 Gflop graphics card and a HD-DVD (scratch that) Blu-Ray drive.

A netbook is a low-cost, handy portable computer geared towards using the Web (it has many connection types built-in: 3G, bluetooth, wifi, ethernet); the fact is that 'low cost' doesn't mean 'low performance': if that were the case, the iPhone, with its dedicated processors, would not cost $400 but more like $1200 (if the marketing costs overhead proportion stayed the same).

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Seriously people, either contribute to the discussion "on topic" or just keep your damn fingers off the keyboard and don't comment about stupid spelling errors.

Pathetic wastes of carbon.

leo2kp

Distinguished
"For this reason, Microsoft believes that netbooks are actually evolving to become closer to the capabilities of notebooks."

So are they saying that notebooks will not get any better, or are they moving towards desktop speeds? Where, then, are desktops going? Oh, well gee, they're getting faster too. So netbooks will still be 50% slower than the average notebook, and desktops will still be 1.5x faster than your average notebook. I'm not exactly sure where they're going with this except to say that hardware, no matter how energy-efficient, will only get better at running Windows. That's ALL that can be said about this. Netbook could never reach notebook speeds as long as notebook hardware continues to evolve just like desktop hardware.

TheMan1214

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Microsoft = FAIL We'll be sticking with the term "netbooks". But they DO need to stay small, portable and low powered. 11" LCD screen models are coming out - if we see another increase in size, call then notebooks. As thats what the $1500~2500 micro-sized high powered notebooks are.[/citation]

What Intels point is, that the size will stay the same but due to pine trail they will get a considerable boost in capability.This doesnt' mean we're gonna be playing WoW on our netbooks, it just means that when pine comes out we might be able to do a bit more than just net-centric tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.