News Microsoft Explains Why Some People Can't Install Windows 10 May 2019 Update

Colif

Win 11 Master
Now they tell us, already had one person who was getting told this:

"The Windows 10 May 2019 Update is on its way. We're offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn't ready for it. Once your device is ready, you'll see the update available on this page. There's nothing you need to do at this time."

I suggested a clean install as it often overcomes reasons.. maybe not in this case.

Does that mean that drivers need to be produced for the PC before they can update, as that is how it reads to me.

wonder how long they will have to wait. MS supports last 3 versions of win 10, so 1903, 1809 & 1803 are supported now, how many months before the hardware makers release the updates needed so these people can upgrade, they have 18 months max.

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Wife's Surface Pro 4 went through last week via Windows Update.
My Surface Pro 6 is giving me the 'NOT NOW' message. Waiting.

eisenb11

Reputable
Jun 27, 2019
Here's what's stupid - where does it even tell you what on your computer is causing the update hold?

The 1903 status page lists a bunch of things that it could be, but who in the right minds is going to systematically try to address every single one of those fixes? Why can't they just tell you that A, B, C are causing the hold then it's up to you to either apply a quick fix or wait for another solution to come rolling around?

I checked the page and it could potentially be a bunch of things. For example, it could be an obsolete wifi driver according to the page. Fine, then say so - then I'll know to update the driver. Otherwise, I don't use wifi on my desktop anyway and would generally not pay attention to something like that. I have no idea what driver I'm running since I don't use it.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Had this on three machines that I ran the upgrade from USB. I just copied the install files to the C: and ran it from there. Updated fine.

A clean install from boot works fine too.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Here's what's stupid - where does it even tell you what on your computer is causing the update hold?

The 1903 status page lists a bunch of things that it could be, but who in the right minds is going to systematically try to address every single one of those fixes? Why can't they just tell you that A, B, C are causing the hold then it's up to you to either apply a quick fix or wait for another solution to come rolling around?

I checked the page and it could potentially be a bunch of things. For example, it could be an obsolete wifi driver according to the page. Fine, then say so - then I'll know to update the driver. Otherwise, I don't use wifi on my desktop anyway and would generally not pay attention to something like that. I have no idea what driver I'm running since I don't use it.
You can go into your device manager and disable all the hardware that you are not using. Wifi that isn't being used, audio if you have an external card, built in video if you have an add on card. You can also do this from the BIOS and then the OS will no longer require the drivers for the device. I do this for all new systems. ALso most people don't get the chipset drivers for their computers on new builds or upgrade them on pre built units with OS. Many of the hardware level drivers are updated periodically. You should do this at least a couple of times of year as it fixes issues and sometimes adds more compatibility and performance to the device.

Jul 30, 2019
As a tech and already familiar with copying the contents of the USB stick to the local disk, my X58 system still received the cryptic error. My resolution was to use IOBIT Driver Booster. I bought the Pro version and it updated all of my outdated drivers. Although I always install major updates manually and not through Windows Update, I re-ran Windows Update to see if the message suppressed itself. It still appeared. Though, running the setup file manually installed 1903 without issues. I'd typically not recommend driver updater software, but I trusted IOBIT for their other tools. I recommend using Driver Booster if you're still receiving that error and can't install 1903. Some of my drivers were about six years out of date.