Microsoft Finally Intros Its Own WebRTC Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Another standard from the company that brought ActiveX to email. This proposal seems like an attempt to keep their ridiculous Skype "investment" from becoming obsolete.

gomez123

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
You sound angry? Still regretting spending that $3,000 on a crApple laptop or is that Android phone of yours still stuck on Froyo. Oh, poor baby.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Microsoft actually providing openness and customization to make the web better? Interesting.

I will admit I am slightly biased as I dislike VP8 and do not want it to be the only codec available. If h.264 and VP8 were equivalent I would favor open standards over proprietary ones, but VP8 is inferior to h.264 in terms of quality, compression, configurability, hardware acceleration, etc. Plus ISO/IEC MPEG and ITU-T VCEG should have the final draft of HEVC (successor to h.264/AVC) ready by January and it's supposed to be up to twice as efficient. I'd rather get MPEG/VCEG to release all their stuff as open standards with no patents/licensing fees (I can dream, can't I?)

kaisellgren

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Only if JavaScript and HTML5 weren't such an inconsistent mess...[/citation]

Maybe you will like Dart, then?

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]gomez123[/nom]You sound angry? Still regretting spending that $3,000 on a crApple laptop or is that Android phone of yours still stuck on Froyo. Oh, poor baby.[/citation]
Nice trolling attempt but I have a hand-built AMD system and an old Motorola feature phone. I was referring to the probable asset write-down on yet another Ballmer acquisition.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
no keep skype away from me, in the rare ocasion i actualy need it ill start the app but don't integrate it ffs ... its one of the worse programs out there togather with MSN client and yahoo client ... lets not even mention it how shit it is for android.... keep my browser clean please ty wm, don't integrate flash/java or any other crap in it please....

osserc

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Uh, the whole point is that you do away with the application so that you can connect directly through the browser, across devices and multiple browsers. At that point whatever "client" you use is just a collection of friend usernames since they'll all be communicating using the standard directly in the browser.

Is it really that hard to understand?

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Skype: No, go away Microsoft[/citation]
It's nice to know that "A Bad Day" worked for Skype at one time and DID NOT benefit from Microsoft purchasing it.

I don't feel sorry for you. All the other employees that work for Skype however most likely do not share your point of view and if they did, they also no longer work there.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Translator set to Microsoft Historical:

Customizable: Works with IE, and only IE
Ubiquitous: Windows only
Real Time: File copy finishes in 30 minutes, no wait, 5 minutes, umm, would you believe 10 minutes?
Communication: It is what we say it is, not what you think it is, and certainly not what you want it to be
over the Web: "Why don't you stop by?" said the Spider to the Fly.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Kaufman also pointed out that Google and Mozilla want to lock down their specifications to the VP8 video codec open sourced by Google back in 2010. Microsoft doesn't want to take that route, stating that "a successful standard cannot be tied to individual codecs, data formats or scenarios." Instead, CU-RTC-Web will support a number of "popular media formats and codecs as well as openness to future innovation."

Comes from a browser maker that refuses to implement ogg vorbis and theora as well as webm vorbis and vp8 in it's browser for the audio and video element. While only providing h.264 as video format. Ogg vorbis and theora might not be technical superior but it's free and a good baseline for digital video formats.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ravewulf[/nom]Microsoft actually providing openness and customization to make the web better? Interesting.I will admit I am slightly biased as I dislike VP8 and do not want it to be the only codec available. If h.264 and VP8 were equivalent I would favor open standards over proprietary ones, but VP8 is inferior to h.264 in terms of quality, compression, configurability, hardware acceleration, etc. Plus ISO/IEC MPEG and ITU-T VCEG should have the final draft of HEVC (successor to h.264/AVC) ready by January and it's supposed to be up to twice as efficient. I'd rather get MPEG/VCEG to release all their stuff as open standards with no patents/licensing fees (I can dream, can't I?)[/citation]
Agreed. Why lock WebRTC to VP8? VP8 is inferior today, I'd hate to see how far behind it is in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.