Microsoft Finally Says Goodbye to IE 6 in the U.S.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I am the 1%.
Not that I use that thing. A mixture of FF, Chrome and Opera take care of my browsing needs. But I like it how in IE6 I can browse from the windows explorer window, haha, and downloading FF the first time around.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Win98/ME/2K users have been hosed for a while. There is no real antivirus, flash players, etc. They can't even install a new printer. If you don't at least have XP, you essentially can't use a computer for anything other than solitaire.

gbean02

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]john15v16[/nom]Good rid-dins[/citation]

I use Ie9 on several computers, and have yet to experience the page refresh issue you have described.

gbean02

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
oops wrong citation on last post.
[citation][nom]Sgtmurder[/nom]IE9 has nonexistent HTML5 support and caches everything so many pages don't refresh without restarting the browser. Thankfully there's Google Chrome Frame plugin for IE to turn it into an almost decent browser.[/citation]

I use Ie9 on several computers, and have yet to experience the page refresh issue you have described. Good luck with that. Now, if I could find the answer for why I can't hit the submit button while using IE9. Someone else has had the same issue but no real answer. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/33803-12-unable-post-comment
Posted with FF7.0.1 while it was updating :)

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Chrome does not do WIN2k !Microsoft fudged themselves into this hole by making IE6 a hard wired part of the OS.Got them into all sorts of trouble and now, that you can not uninstall and replace the thing all the Win98/Win2K machines switch to Opera, Firefox etc. There goes the market share.I know, all gaming kids now cry out Win2K... get with the times... but Corporate America still uses boatloads of the older OS, they don't play high end games in the office, just Word processing and Excel. It is one thing to upgrade your gaming rig, and another to update thousands of PCs in a corporate environment.Just the cost of retraining all those employees costs a fortune. And in these times nobody has money to burn. Hopefully M$ learned a lesson or two from this; also I doubt it.[/citation]

if chrome doesn't firefox does support win2K

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]I was a lot like using a different operating system.Internet Explorer Firefox and chrome all use about the same keyboard shortcuts. Opera out of the box does not use a single one of them besides maybe find. I could honestly never recommend that browser for anything, and the only reason I have it is because I was attempting to figure out which browser would be best for backup.[/citation]
actually it does use shortcuts like backspace and mouse gestures, i don't remember using them on IE or safari but they are really easy to learn

G

The browser on Microsoft's own Zune HD is IE6 based. Microsoft never thought it was important to upgrade during their Zune updates. Guess nobody is counting Microsoft's own products for their trumped numbers. Yes, I know that Zunes did not sell like iPods but the point is Microsoft did not upgrade their own product from IE6.

Status
Not open for further replies.