Microsoft Flight Development Already Canned

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f-14

Distinguished
my last microsoft flight simulator was 98, and it was so terrible i never touched it after the first time.
good riddance to bad rubbish. you want to fly, get falcon 4.0 allied force or go d/l DCS: A-10C Warthog
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/series/warthog/

sure microsoft flight X is good to practice if you're learning how to fly or want an idea of how to fly if the flight crew on your airliner gets taken out by terrorists or a bird strike, but good god if you already know how to fly any plane it's so boring and worthless. all i see is a bunch of hijacked aircraft taken over by terrorists i want to shoot down with a fully loaded down F-16/F-18.

after you learn how to fly and get bored grab a fighter simulator and learn how to select ordinance, dodge enemy AA and air defenses fly map of the earth as you use mountains for cover and cities as shields while evading enemy fighters and knocking out their radar installations and runways and taking down as many enemy ground and air units as possible before landing while your cockpit is screaming "bingo bingo" at you for 10 minutes and you're only half way home and looking for the nearest refueling tanker while some enemy rookie is dogging your tail and you are down to your last rounds on the 20mm cannon you're packin'.

i like how DCS adds in other aircraft and incorporates other stand alone games such as the A1-0 warthog & KA-50 land shark russian attack helicopter counterpart of the apache AH-64 and lockon with the F-15,Su27,Su25&T,Mig29A,Su33 as if they were addon/expansion packs meant to be combined. something i think Janes should work on with all of their simulators which in this day and age is achievable and should have been done awhile ago while they were developing F-18.

i was sad to see microprose go bankrupt by bobby koticks heading of activision in developing Falcon 4.0 much the same way mitt romney at the head of bain capital bankrupted kaybee toy store chains after leveraging and pocketing the profits from what assets kaybee had left.

i think we are at the point where a game like gunmetal but in the world of macross/robotech should be developed with all the units from it. i sincerely hope lucas arts gets it's hands on it and develops it in the same way as x-wing vs. tie fighter, nobody else i can think of at the moment i would trust to make it.

athlondude

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
@velocityg4,

There is an excellent Free 2 Play WWI combat flight sim that is pretty state of the art, and over all awesome in looks and flight modelling. You start with 2 aircraft with the option to buy others, and right now there is a sale on all aircraft where all are half off. Here is a link! I will tell you, it wont run well on anything less than a Quad core CPU.

http://riseofflight.com/en

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
they gave you free to play game with demo sized content. You can do everything within 2-4 hours
and then you are left with plane models 6€ each (amazing number of 5!) and 2 land maps 15€, 20€ respectively filled with equally boring repetitive content as in demo.
Game total cost is more than any AAA title released on pc ever and is a b-class title lacking content and excitement. And they wander why the game doesn't sell...

F2P content (there were times it was called demo) must be amazing and exiting making you wantmore like any blizzard starter.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Can we get rid of Railworks Train Simulator too? The ridiculous amount of expensive DLC for these products drives me crazy. Free to Play can be successful when it's based on micro-transactions. You can't run around doing normal-sized transactions and expect to sustain yourself on it. The DLC was too expensive. Console gamers may be willing to shell out $10 for a new aircraft or player skin, but PC gamers are not so easy. I'm not paying $80 for your product when the last one was $40 and contained 100x more content.

G

Get Microsoft Flight graphics and put in fsx and call it fsXI = WIN!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Can we please stop calling this a "flight simulator" ?
I'm a pilot for over 25 years and have used and 'played' about any flight software there is and this thinh is basically a step above the 'flight sim' mode of Google earth.

One could only wish the 9/11 terrorists had used this for their flight training. They'd never have reached the towers then.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I really liked Flight sim. I just wish they would push the limits of realism on it. We have all new hardware coming out. The game has not been updated. At least move google maps to flight sim and get visuals down to 0.5m for the whole usa.

It would have applications. Say for instance you make an autocad building. You can add it up. Then fly your plane around the place looking at it. It might help sell it.

So much opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.