Microsoft Flight Launches End of February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I'm in the Flight beta. Can't give too much away because last I checked it was still under the NDA. But, I think former MS Flight Sim people will love the game. They also gave the game a "simple" mode for the casual player who just wants to fly around randomly without all the added complexities.

It seems as though Flight will release (for free) with only with the Hawaiian Island, and then Microsoft will release content over time to slowly expand the game. The extra content will probably cost money in the form of Microsoft points, but as long as the content is good I won't mind. At any rate, don't expect to fly across the country in a Boeing airliner when the game is first released. But I could be completely wrong, they haven't told us anything beyond what Kevin has written here.

The biggest question I have is whether it will be possible to have extra 3rd party content like their was in the previous MS Flight Sims. But if my guess on their new sales model is correct, I doubt they'll allow 3rd party content.

pckitty4427

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I'm in the Flight beta. Can't give too much away because last I checked it was still under the NDA. But, I think former MS Flight Sim people will love the game. They also gave the game a "simple" mode for the casual player who just wants to fly around randomly without all the added complexities.It seems as though Flight will release (for free) with only with the Hawaiian Island, and then Microsoft will release content over time to slowly expand the game. The extra content will probably cost money in the form of Microsoft points, but as long as the content is good I won't mind. At any rate, don't expect to fly across the country in a Boeing airliner when the game is first released. But I could be completely wrong, they haven't told us anything beyond what Kevin has written here.The biggest question I have is whether it will be possible to have extra 3rd party content like their was in the previous MS Flight Sims. But if my guess on their new sales model is correct, I doubt they'll allow 3rd party content.[/citation]

MS has said there will be no SDK which means there can't be 3rd party add-ons :(

But who knows how much things might change a few years down the line...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Forget about silly 'Microsoft Points'; it's kinda like Vegas chips; not real money so you spend them more easily. I'd rather pay $50 for the game and than can have the usual add on development later.

chaojohnson

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
So I guess there won't be any add-on aircraft from PMDG, etc. any time soon. This is really disappointing as I've been an avid simmer for a long time. Work leaves me no time to do any actual flying, so simming is all I've really got.

Come on Microsoft, step your game up here!

With so much high-resolution content out there available, it would be really nice to have the whole world available as DLC's with high detail terrain. I hope that's where this is going.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Looks like I'm going to X-plane this gen. I prefer to have the world available to fly in for a flat rate. I don't want to have to pay something like, for example, $5-10 for tiny chunks of land. What if I wanted to do a world tour? Would I have to pay a couple hundred dollars for the scenery then? I mean just think, if they sold DLC by state and/or country, that's 50 times whatever so-called cheap price they charge per plot of land, but it adds up way too fast. At $5 per plot, the US would cost $250, the entire continent would cost at least 10-20 times that, etc. Bad move Microsoft, FTP is only good for so much, and when you can get X-Plane 9 or 10 with full global scenery for $30 and $80, who would waste so much just because it's Microsoft?

I will still be getting this just because I've had every copy of MS Flight Simulator since FS95. However, it appears there won't be any aftermarket development opportunities. I am one who enjoys realistic and complex aircraft (Level D 767 and Just Flight 757 Pilot in Command as two examples) as well as aftermarket terrain, airport scenery including real world AI aircraft flight plans, and weather for FSX.

It seems it will be a long time (if ever) before Flight gets to the level of FSX Gold with a few hundred in payware add-ons. Flight physics realism is another aspect I enjoy, but no version of FS has ever realistically simulated the yaw-roll reaction of an aircraft or crosswind landings very well. As a real world private pilot, I'm hoping Flight will at least simulate these physics better.

You can search videos on Youtube for FSX in all its glory of eye candy capabilities. Sure the screenshots and videos of Flight look great, but they don't appear to be a step up IMO from what FSX's engine can still produce. We'll see. Finally, I hope Flight reacts better to video card upgrades than FSX which is almost entirely CPU bound which allows performance increase mostly to CPU speed alone. And will quad/hex core CPUs finally get to show their stuff? More questions that will be answered.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I won't be interested in this garbage. Think about it: you can do the simple crap for free, but if you want more, you have to pay for it (1600 points is about $40-$50). Now think about that- you can still buy FSX which includes dozens of planes, numerous missions, and nearly endless expandibility and customizations, all for about $40. And you don't need an internet connection (to play; you will for activation). You still have FSX: Accerlation which adds even more and there are hundreds of developers out there creating new planes and other things for the program.

Personally, I just don't get it...why would MS stupidly spend money like this instead of bringing back ACES? It ain't like MS doesn't have the money, you know! I mean, really, if you want some simple flight app, there are plenty of options out there. What a waste.

By the way, FSX is capable of handling 256 cores.

51l3n5t

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]al-quaida will be all over this....let's see, this building looks very interesting, plot that shit[/citation]

you are now on the US watchlist. Better not fly there in game may get sent home /sarcasim

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]51l3n5t[/nom]you are now on the US watchlist. Better not fly there in game may get sent home /sarcasim[/citation]
thanks....i will be careful, lol

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]boris152[/nom]No, actually 1600 points is about $20.[/citation]

Really? Where? I was just in a couple of stores this past weekend and they were still the price I was quoting. Still, 1600 points (even at $20) = a whole copy (almost) of FSX. Once you start to add-in content, and you will find you are wasting your money in this.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]NewbieTechGodII[/nom]Really? Where? I was just in a couple of stores this past weekend and they were still the price I was quoting. Still, 1600 points (even at $20) = a whole copy (almost) of FSX. Once you start to add-in content, and you will find you are wasting your money in this.[/citation]

Sorry, I confused the cost of 4000 points with that of 1600. My bad. Still doesn't change the cost equation for Flight vs FSX.

boris152

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Sorry, I confused the cost of 4000 points with that of 1600. My bad. Still doesn't change the cost equation for Flight vs FSX.

You're right. I'm not disagreeing on that point. The game will be way more expensive, not less, to get something approaching what we're used to paying for in the long run. I'm excited about the new sim (there was so much room for improvement), but sad that I won't have the giant, do-whatever-I-want sandbox we had before. :(

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]boris152[/nom]You're right. I'm not disagreeing on that point. The game will be way more expensive, not less, to get something approaching what we're used to paying for in the long run. I'm excited about the new sim (there was so much room for improvement), but sad that I won't have the giant, do-whatever-I-want sandbox we had before.[/citation]

Plus, a lot of simmers build impressive rigs and cockpits to fully immerse themselves into the game. And let's not forget all of the virtual airlines out there...

Instead of tapping into that loyal and dedicated fanbase, MS has really screwed the pooch with Flight.

hunter387

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
I'd rather pay for a full game than have to pay for dlc later on for a free game. I don't know how people get tricked into this stuff. Its like every other trick out there, start with a free game/sample then release content regularly for money.

Then again, this is M$ we're talking about so its to be expected from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.