Microsoft Founds Open Source Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightbulbsocket

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]lancelot123[/nom]Yes mike, cause EVERYTHING is a conspiracy. I hate it when people act like that.[/citation]

You say that like no one ever has ulterior motives. My knee-jerk response was that MS is working some sort of an angle. If they didn't think it was going to PAY off then there's no way they'd be doing it. You don't become a fortune 500 company by doing things out of the kindness of your heart.

[citation][nom]lightbulbsocket[/nom]You say that like no one ever has ulterior motives. My knee-jerk response was that MS is working some sort of an angle. If they didn't think it was going to PAY off then there's no way they'd be doing it. You don't become a fortune 500 company by doing things out of the kindness of your heart.[/citation]

People are going to use open source applications and open standard whether Microsoft likes it or not. I'm sure that they would much rather people use an open source product developed by Microsoft than one developed by someone else. You should really take a look at some of the stuff that they've done recently. They've been moving swathes patents into their community promise, various new and experimental developments are done on github, their Hyper-V virtualization modules are in the upstream linux kernel, their F# programming language is now under the Apache license, they provide community hosting and support for numerous open source .NET applications (including the only real web hosting application for Windows). They have a whole section dedicated to open specifications on the MSDN.

Their "ulterior motive" is nothing more than the simple fact that having dozens of competing products serving the same function does nothing but create problems. Microsoft could stay at the head of the pack in the 90s due to a lack of competition (partly their doing) and lack of competence (sorry Real Networks and Corel) but that's easier said than done when facing pressure from giants such as Google, oracle and Redhat.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

I don't really like Microsoft because I suspect them of using dirty business tactics. However I do not like people spreading around this very common misconception that rich people must be evil. In principle, the point of capitalism is to give certain people greater wealth than everyone else as a reward for making the world wealthier. In other words, in principle, rich people get a larger angle of the pie of wealth than most people, but what most people don't seem to realize is that this is the rich people's reward for increasing the pie's overall size.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]lancelot123[/nom]Yes mike, cause EVERYTHING is a conspiracy. I hate it when people act like that.[/citation]

Yes, it actually is! I live in a country where the only viable business is stealing government money. In the USA where there are much, much, much, much more money, I doubt that it is much different. Well, actually there are way too many proven and obvious cases about that there too.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
actually they do support open source projects including the linux kernel (one month they were the #1 contributer to it and in whole 2011 they were #17), they supported moonlight (some silverlight runtime for linux), they host open-source .net projects (something like sourceforge), C# and office open are two open standards they made, I could write a whole book about MSs contributions to open-source/standards

now if only they open-source the windows kernel, that would make windows kernel marketshare much higher

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
This isn't nothing really new, it just makes it more official.
I see microsoft doing this to open up their win8 smartphone/tablet/ultrabook development.
Alot of the machines use proprietary hardware, open up the software/os a bit, and development for these things will take off.
Look at android for example.

rex86

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
M$ as a company has never been positive about open source. They have been terrorizing the whole world for decades. That's not going to change now?! No way.

Open source to them is just a cover up to gain more control of other companies involved in development of open source products and in the end crush them so that they can make yet another monopoly in a world that has never been theirs. All their open source projects are a proof of that.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]rex86[/nom]M$ as a company has never been positive about open source. They have been terrorizing the whole world for decades. That's not going to change now?! No way. Open source to them is just a cover up to gain more control of other companies involved in development of open source products and in the end crush them so that they can make yet another monopoly in a world that has never been theirs. All their open source projects are a proof of that.[/citation]
MS sold linux servers (at least in the past), partnered with novell, promotes open standards...

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]I don't really like Microsoft because I suspect them of using dirty business tactics. However I do not like people spreading around this very common misconception that rich people must be evil. In principle, the point of capitalism is to give certain people greater wealth than everyone else as a reward for making the world wealthier. In other words, in principle, rich people get a larger angle of the pie of wealth than most people, but what most people don't seem to realize is that this is the rich people's reward for increasing the pie's overall size.[/citation]

Oh yeah?
I want my piece of pie!
cherry pie....

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]I don't really like Microsoft because I suspect them of using dirty business tactics. However I do not like people spreading around this very common misconception that rich people must be evil. In principle, the point of capitalism is to give certain people greater wealth than everyone else as a reward for making the world wealthier. In other words, in principle, rich people get a larger angle of the pie of wealth than most people, but what most people don't seem to realize is that this is the rich people's reward for increasing the pie's overall size.[/citation]

You sound hypocritical to me. You assume Microsoft is crooked because you "suspect them" of "dirty business tactics", then turning around and get down on people for assuming that wealthy people must have done something wrong to get wealthy.

Your statement about capitalism is wrong; it isn't about "giving certain people greater wealth". You have a good point in there somewhere with your pie analogy, but it's mixed up with some confusion about what capitalism is and how it actually works.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Nice move as Apple moves further down the proprietary road. I have said it before, the Apple jail makes Microsoft look like a beacon of freedom.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
[citation][nom]kristoffe[/nom]the world is coming to and end, a good one. M$ is going open source a bit, and apple is getting infected.[/citation]

Now if kids stop using the "M$" term we'll be all set. I mean Apple is the largest company in the world, Google just made 60% more profit and has like $60 billion in cash, Facebook has so much money they buy pointless little companies for a billion dollars and retards still use the M$ abbreviation.... grow up.

Sorry, I don't mean to be so harsh, it's just annoying is all.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]Now if kids stop using the "M$" term we'll be all set. I mean Apple is the largest company in the world, Google just made 60% more profit and has like $60 billion in cash, Facebook has so much money they buy pointless little companies for a billion dollars and retards still use the M$ abbreviation.... grow up.Sorry, I don't mean to be so harsh, it's just annoying is all.[/citation]

Actually, out of all the companies you mentioned, Microsoft has the highest net profit margin.
Every 3rd dollar MS makes is pure profit and it has been like that consistently for 15 years or more.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Contributing to "open" efforts and standards is different than embracing open source developments. MS's motive is increased compatibility of their proprietary products, really a smart move on their part and not too hard to understand.

However, don't expect any freebies as a result.

fatality1515

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Knowing the evil MS for decades, I don't trust them. It's so typical of MS, they promise an ice-cream, but instead you get f**ked up your arse by a 500 pound hairy gorilla. They always protect their own interests..

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]Oh yeah?I want my piece of pie!cherry pie....[/citation]
Put a smile on your face that is ten miles wide.
Look so good bring a tear to your eye.
Sweet Cherry Pie!

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Better make sure what this company is producing is actually open source, and it's not an attempt to corrupt open source codebases with copyrighted code to cause trouble later.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
I wonder if this open source means all the abandoned OS's like XP and stuff become open source.

[citation][nom]mrmike_49[/nom]It's a scam to get patent protection from other companies patents[/citation]
DAMN YOU MICROSOFT FOR TRYING TO MAKE A PROFIT!!! SHAME ON YOU!!!!

....Really?

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]fatality1515[/nom]Knowing the evil MS for decades, I don't trust them. It's so typical of MS, they promise an ice-cream, but instead you get f**ked up your arse by a 500 pound hairy gorilla. They always protect their own interests..[/citation]

Of course they do, but in the process they're also offering products and services that give the consumer far, far more variety, versatility and freedom for their money than any competitor (at least on the PC side, Xbox is a different story). What other OS lets people do everything from designing and running a globally competitive business to building a AAA caliber videogame from SDK released for free...and everything in between. Microsoft still represents the bulwark of capitalism in modern computing and software because the great bulk of the world still runs on their products and services. They laid the groundwork for companies like Google's massive success.

Status
Not open for further replies.