Microsoft Gives 20,000 Lines of Code to Linux

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
It is a good move by Microsoft, but certainly not earth shattering. Anyone who thinks that MS did this in order to get individual Linux users to install Windows is missing the point. This is for the enterprise customers who actually make production use of virtualization technology when testing/migrating/installing servers in multiple locations across different hardware platforms. Sure, it also lets you run a better VM on that box you built in your basement, but that is not why they did this release.

Torment

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
@maigo

Hyper-V Server is free. It's a pain in the ass to manage (the host settings, drives, etc. that is), but it's free and very lightweight.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]Watch your back Linux community. I trust MS about as much as I trust Washington and that ain't saying much.[/citation]
But don't you know that George Washington cannot tell a lie?

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
As someone previously posted. It is a company, and it will do things necessary for their production..and that's not bad...it is just how every company works."

" The code is for three Linux device drivers, which will enhance the performance of the Linux operating system when virtualized on Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V or Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V. "

Read carefully. They released that chunk of code as GPLv2 so they could be provide a more stable environment to linux when used as virtual OS inside the Hyper-V. It's just a matter of optimization in their side. is there is some benefit on the pro-linux side, then that's great, but keep in mind, the move was necessary for Microsoft.

I'm pretty sure they thought like 157,985,596 times before jumping in on this decision.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I guess most of the people commenting on this topic don't know that you can download the Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 for FREE!!! Install it for FREE!!! And use it for FREE!!!.

You don't necessarily have to install Windows Server 2008 to install Hyper-V Server 2008. It is also a FREE TO INSTALL stand-alone low level hypervisor, meaning that it does not require a host OS such as Windows Server 2008.

G

MS probably determined they are loosing a percentage of potential users do to poor Linux support. The interesting thing here is that MS is made up of several disconnected departments. So where one department (Virtualazation) will benefit. Down the road other departments (Desktop/Server may take a substantial hit.

--Ridshack

Status
Not open for further replies.