Microsoft Gives Cortana An Identity Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcaulley_74

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Although these are nice features, it is interesting that Microsoft doesn't allow you to choose which version of Cortana you get. For example, someone who has moved away from his home country may want Cortana to speak his native tongue and use a culturally-specific personality. However, Microsoft doesn't appear to have any plans for this kind of flexibility at present.

This!!! All these companies on the leading edge of technology and none of them see to realize that more than 100 years ago we invented airplanes and are no longer confined to the place we were born. I spent a year in South Korea (military assignment) and realized just how difficult it can be to use the internet when everyone wants to use locality based services and not give you the option to turn them off. Google and Microsoft were the worst. I can't, nor will I ever be able to read the Korean language, but Microsoft insisted that the Korean page is the one I wanted. I was bad enough that I had to use VPN back through the States when going to certain websites.

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Computers are tools-- not Google robots for consumerists.

I think Cortana / Siri are a step backwards and I just see it as another exploit that has access to my microphone.

Although these are nice features, it is interesting that Microsoft doesn't allow you to choose which version of Cortana you get. For example, someone who has moved away from his home country may want Cortana to speak his native tongue and use a culturally-specific personality. However, Microsoft doesn't appear to have any plans for this kind of flexibility at present.

This!!! All these companies on the leading edge of technology and none of them see to realize that more than 100 years ago we invented airplanes and are no longer confined to the place we were born. I spent a year in South Korea (military assignment) and realized just how difficult it can be to use the internet when everyone wants to use locality based services and not give you the option to turn them off. Google and Microsoft were the worst. I can't, nor will I ever be able to read the Korean language, but Microsoft insisted that the Korean page is the one I wanted. I was bad enough that I had to use VPN back through the States when going to certain websites.

I'm glad you agree. I am getting married to a Chinese girl, and I have spent several years practicing Japanese. Though I was born in the U.S.A. and plan to stay here, when my fiance comes to live with me I would like her to be able to use Cortana in her native language, and I would like to be able to use Cortana to help practice speaking and listening in these other languages. I feel like Microsoft is missing an opportunity to make Cortana educational, as well as missing the chance to make Cortana more comforting to those who aren't in their home nations.

I still don't understand at all how this increases my productivity on the computer. I want Cortana to be able to easily launch programs, search through files like a breeze. I want to say, "Cortana, try to find my file called "work file" on my flash drive, thanks", and then Cortana should do the following:

-decode my message and understand it
-Check how many USB storage devices are attatched
-if there is only one, search it for the file

sadsteve

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013

This!!! All these companies on the leading edge of technology and none of them see to realize that more than 100 years ago we invented airplanes and are no longer confined to the place we were born. I spent a year in South Korea (military assignment) and realized just how difficult it can be to use the internet when everyone wants to use locality based services and not give you the option to turn them off. Google and Microsoft were the worst. I can't, nor will I ever be able to read the Korean language, but Microsoft insisted that the Korean page is the one I wanted. I was bad enough that I had to use VPN back through the States when going to certain websites

I'm glad you agree. I am getting married to a Chinese girl, and I have spent several years practicing Japanese. Though I was born in the U.S.A. and plan to stay here, when my fiance comes to live with me I would like her to be able to use Cortana in her native language, and I would like to be able to use Cortana to help practice speaking and listening in these other languages. I feel like Microsoft is missing an opportunity to make Cortana educational, as well as missing the chance to make Cortana more comforting to those who aren't in their home nations.

?? Practicing Japanese to talk to a Chinese girl? Isn't that like practicing French to talk to an Italian girl? :)

Anyways, I don't want to talk to my computer either. Now Cortana on a smart phone would be a different story.

sadsteve

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
Dang, I thought I deleted the extra quotes (stuck mouse key, crappy Logitech mouse). Sorry for the multiple quotes.. An edit button would be really nice to have!

clifftam

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
I wish they rather improve Cortana to the point where you can ask her any questions, she can understand and then respond back in audio.

Like many people, i am still not going to speak to my computer or my phone bc the program is still not good enough to analyze what i am trying to say. Either i have to repeat a few times or speak very slowly.

For example, i want to ask the computer to find me a pdf that I open last week and it has to do with my income tax. If Cortana has the ability to do that, then I will start using it.

Who cares about type of humor and personality. Get it working and get it work REALLY well first than add these extra stuff later.

buxxcador

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
The most outrageous thing about cortana is that you cannot remove it, and it records everything [strike]you say[/strike] at reach of the microphone, and sends it to Microspyware.

So, you are surveyed 100% of the time, and have no way to uninstall that spyware.

Edit: AND windows 10 license says that everything it records about you will be used for profit.

Gracodana

Distinguished

The little pencil in the bottom right of your post.

Mysteoa

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2012

If you change you PC Location settings you will change Cortana. I didn't have Cortana in my country and it was disabled. I change my PC location to USA and I have it working.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
The most outrageous thing about cortana is that you cannot remove it, and it records everything [strike]you say[/strike] at reach of the microphone, and sends it to Microspyware.

So, you are surveyed 100% of the time, and have no way to uninstall that spyware.

Edit: AND windows 10 license says that everything it records about you will be used for profit.
if this is true, then microsoft are a bunch of pricks. outrageous breach of privacy. i'm sure there will be numerous amount of fixes.

we need a sony in the OS world. the ps4 had them backpeddling so fast, it wasn't even funny. MS isn't interested in keeping their lead because they know they have such a solid footing in the industry that they can do w.e. the hell they want.

sadsteve

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013

Yeah, I know they have had it on the MS phone for a while. It makes much more sense there than on the desktop in my opinion.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
That's stupid that it won't be here in Canada. For god sakes I can Speak American English just as well as I can speak Canadian English...eh!!! LOL

Hydrotricithline

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
This!!! All these companies on the leading edge of technology and none of them see to realize that more ths on the leading edge of technology and none of them see to realize that more than 100 years ago we invented airplanes and are no longer confined to the place we were born. I spent a year in South Korea (military assignment) and realized just how difficult it can be to use the internet when everyone wants to use locality based services and not give you the option to turn them off. Google and Microsoft were the worst. I can't, nor will I ever be able to read the Korean language, but Microsoft insisted that the Korean page is the one I wanted. I was bad enough that I had to use VPN back through the States when going to certain websites.[/quote]
an 100 years ago we invented airplanes and are no longer confined to the place we were born. I spent a year in South Korea (military assignment) and realized just how difficult it can be to use the internet when everyone wants to use locality based services and not give you the option to turn them off. Google and Microsoft were the worst. I can't, nor will I ever be able to read the Korean language, but Microsoft insisted that the Korean page is the one I wanted. I was bad enough that I had to use VPN back through the States when going to certain websites.

Nothing like being on deployment and.. : Cortana what's the weather like today? (Cortana) The weather is blah blah blah
(you) Thank you Cortana. (Cortana) Me love you long tyme.

lol

philipemaciel

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
"For example, in the UK, Cortana knows that self-deprecating humor is popular, and she will use dry humor, irony, and sarcasm when replying to you."

Cool, but I would trade that development effort for real multitasking in Windows Phone/mobile.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008

Win 10 Enterprise has no cortana ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.