Microsoft Goes to Reddit for Windows 8.1 AMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

monsta

Splendid
Yes it is better, hopefully it just keeps getting better from the feedback they are getting.
I know a lot of people that don't like 8, it just takes a bit of time to get used to really.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Windows 8.1 is fine except couple of [removed] features, such as not able to right-click on wireless network to forget it. And stupid user shortcuts in "This PC/Computer" which I had to remove right away. And Classic Shell is a must.

Watch the language. - G

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I clicked on the AMA, what I observed was a bunch of angry Windows 8 users expressing a huge list of legitimate concerns, with no responses from MS whatsoever on anything that mattered.

Worst AMA I've ever seen, to be honest.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Does Windows 8.1 fully support file paths longer than 255 characters? Right now with win 8 and earlier, Explorer.exe doesn't fully support it even though NTFS does and it's really annoying. I have to use Totalcommander to transfer files from within deeply nested folders.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I clicked on the AMA, what I observed was a bunch of angry Windows 8 users expressing a huge list of legitimate concerns, with no responses from MS whatsoever on anything that mattered.

Worst AMA I've ever seen, to be honest.

This! I can't believe it, it's another Microsoft PR disaster. I'm really not sure what they were expecting, but leaving important questions unanswered will only lead to bad assumptions on the consumer's end.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008

Even worse is Tom's completely ignoring this fact, calling it "a decent read" and informative. This article is perfectly written to mislead people who don't actually read into sources. Tom's seems just as in on the marketing for MS as the people who started the AMA.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006

Fully agreed. Whoever reads it can only reach one conclusion, that was solely a PR stunt (made apparent by the two "EDIT"s in the OP), and a hugely miscalculated one at that, they were slammed with criticism, didn't answer the most voted questions, answered just a few easy ones, including one trivia that was made by someone registered less than a day ago, and then still said that it was "fun" in the first edit. In the second edit it was a blatant PR stunt as they are offering $10 Windows Store gift cards. Ridiculous.

This. This does nothing to instil the reader's confidence, Tom's, much the contrary.

Also, Tom's your commenting and voting system has been broken for months. Sometimes voting works, sometimes it doesn't. I can only comment by commenting in the forums, and you've turned the link to commenting using the forum view an icon that you only understand what it's really for if you hover over it. I don't know how you expect to keep a lively community with a broken system like this.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Agreed, the whole thing was hijacked by people swearing, called people retards, flaming - if I were doing the AMA I would have done the same, even when a serious question was asked, some idiot would second it with "yeah, wriggle out of that one you f*cktatds!" or similar. It turned into the wild west and as bad as PR looks, the attendees were just bullies.

I would hardly call a half dozen good posts a huge list. There's 2400 posts with maybe two dozen reasonable questions that microsoft didn't expect (which are usually the type asked privately to volume licensing department), so literally 99% of the stuff there is just garbage that can keep MS guys from seeing what's important. What they should have done is held the meeting on a more moderated place where reasonable questions can actually be seen at a reasonable time.

hannibal

Distinguished
No there is not great deal for windows 8 pro. That was last year for early adopters. Who knows if there will be sometime in the future, but not very MS-like thing to do it with "mature" operation system. If I can remember the last time was when family edition of win7 was rereleased?

pede93063

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
Win 8 is good and easy to use product. It does not take so much effort to learn to use it. Of course there is always room for an improvement tho. :)

I actually like the new layout of This PC over the older layouts.

Now I can click on the File Explorer on my task bar and it brings up the drives and most used folders (pictures, downloads etc.). That was a good addition TBH as it makes moving around a bit faster.

Overall I like 8.1 better than 8. I was going to drop from the 8.1 preview to 8 and then upgrade but decided to not wait and grabbed a TechNet copy from my work to get a jump start.

Its a pretty good OS and should get better with decent feedback, not this "8 sucks" as that does nothing to improve it.

freddymcbob

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
It is awful! Here's what I wrote on a Microsoft Forum (that didn't get answered):

Windows 8.1 ruined allot of programs and games on my computer... Before 8.1 i could run games normally, but now with 8.1, when launching the game, the CPU jumps up to 100%. This has never happened before... I play Crossfire and Soldier Front 2, both, don't work with 8.1- and I doubt it's the game because it was working a couple seconds before the 8.1 Upgrade. With Crossfire, the screen goes into fullscreen, and their is no color in the graphics; only a grayish color. With Soldier Front 2, the CPU jumps so high (100%) that the mouse in the game moves 1mm every 25 seconds. While upgrading to 8.1 I didn't expect any of this to happen and you could only imagine the surprise I had. I don't want to remove 8.1 and re-install windows 8 from the start because it's simply too much work. I need a solution for these problems. Also, my computer is 45% slower. Another job well done Microsoft, I trusted you yet again... I heard Mac Mountain lion is pretty good. And not to mention Google! The best search engine I've ever used. I can only hope it stays on top so that Bing doesn't take over and come out with something like Bing 8.1 and destroy everything people have been fixing since 7 to 8. By the time all the smart people come up with solutions for 8.1, you're going to come out with 8.2 and ruin everything from the start. Only than I won't be stupid enough to actually "upgrade" [or better yet destroy] my computer.

Heres the link for it... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/windows-81-ruined-allot/a634afbd-73bb-40a0-968f-3eeb2e318ed4

freddymcbob

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
It is awful! Here's what I wrote on a Microsoft Forum (that didn't get answered):

Windows 8.1 ruined allot of programs and games on my computer... Before 8.1 i could run games normally, but now with 8.1, when launching the game, the CPU jumps up to 100%. This has never happened before... I play Crossfire and Soldier Front 2, both, don't work with 8.1- and I doubt it's the game because it was working a couple seconds before the 8.1 Upgrade. With Crossfire, the screen goes into fullscreen, and their is no color in the graphics; only a grayish color. With Soldier Front 2, the CPU jumps so high (100%) that the mouse in the game moves 1mm every 25 seconds. While upgrading to 8.1 I didn't expect any of this to happen and you could only imagine the surprise I had. I don't want to remove 8.1 and re-install windows 8 from the start because it's simply too much work. I need a solution for these problems. Also, my computer is 45% slower. Another job well done Microsoft, I trusted you yet again... I heard Mac Mountain lion is pretty good. And not to mention Google! The best search engine I've ever used. I can only hope it stays on top so that Bing doesn't take over and come out with something like Bing 8.1 and destroy everything people have been fixing since 7 to 8. By the time all the smart people come up with solutions for 8.1, you're going to come out with 8.2 and ruin everything from the start. Only than I won't be stupid enough to actually "upgrade" [or better yet destroy] my computer.

Heres the link for it... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/windows-81-ruined-allot/a634afbd-73bb-40a0-968f-3eeb2e318ed4

Status
Not open for further replies.