Microsoft Has Increased Xbox One's GPU Frequency

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperionLight

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Why is everyone smirking at the GPU speed increase? They’re testing to see what can be achieved without getting an RROD or shortening the life of the xbox.

Btw you do get that it’s a custom APU right? You can’t go and compare it to off-the-shelf parts.

And about closing the gap

http://www.hotchips.org/

Where’s the PS4 silicon? Oh snap, there isn’t one! How come when the ps4 is so superior?!

Oh and another piece of interesting information most games on the ps4 run at 30fps, instead most games on the xbox one run at 60fps…

“OMG that’s not possible you trolling fanboy”

Yeah well

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4

Stop trolling. I'm both a PC gamer and PS3 gamer. I can't very easily take either of my gaming PCs with me on a business trip where I'm stuck in a hotel for a week. I can't very easily take one of them to a friend's house to share fun and split screen gaming, nor can I when I am visiting family and sharing it. Not everybody sits in their basement 7x24 playing games glued to a PC.

A laptop (which is still a PC) is more portable than a console.

adamsunderwood

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
53 MHz is actually a pretty decent boost when factoring it over hundreds of pixel processor cores - on a Radeon HD 6970, across 1536 cores, it's a difference of about 2 GPixels/s (which is a good amount). But it still falls short of the PS4's hardware by a lot, and still costs $100 more. All the negative PR at the unveiling also didn't help it any. Good luck, Microsoft; you threw away your dominance over the living room and are now fighting an uphill battle in every aspect of your business, with maybe only the exception of the enterprise software market.

SirTrollsALot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

If I was admin I'd build my own kick ass computer for about 1/2 the price of an Apple, which we all know are computers for the "Intellectually challenged" masses that graze on the genetically modified BS that comes from Cupertino...

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I plan on buying an Xbox (because it now has Bluray) and a PS4. I currently have 3 PS3's of different generations and I'm worried that both these new units will be like my first PS3 (90nm process) in that the fan always kicks up to high and it sounds like a vacuum cleaner (which is why I bought the newer fan-less version for my home theater since that's a pain in the arss to listen to in the middle of a movie).

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I plan on buying an Xbox (because it now has Bluray) and a PS4. I currently have 3 PS3's of different generations and I'm worried that both these new units will be like my first PS3 (90nm process) in that the fan always kicks up to high and it sounds like a vacuum cleaner (which is why I bought the newer fan-less version for my home theater since that's a pain in the arss to listen to in the middle of a movie).

r3dl1n3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Every time I read an article with PS3 fans spouting off about how great their PS3 is and how superior it is to the Xbox 360.. I have both and I find they are essentially the same.. same goes for the next gen as well.. they will be essentially the same.. The joke of the matter is. the one area I hope that Sony actually improves in is the F%^King load times of games.. my god. the PS3 is like beating a dead horse to get games to load.. Xbox 360 has them beat on that front and I hope that with the addition of Blu-ray to the Xbox One it doesn't follow suite with Sony's PS3 load times.. it's an absolute joke how slow the PS3 loads games.

alextheblue

Distinguished
They both have 8 Jag cores. If developers make good use of all 8 cores, that bites into available bandwidth for the GPUs. In a scenario like that, both systems might very well end up being memory bandwdith constrained, and thus perform very similarly.

We're still not sure exactly where the eSRAM + DDR3 combination will land in comparison to the GDDR5 in the PS4, but it looks pretty close. Also, GDDR5 has terrible latency. Will this hurt performance of the Jaguar cores in certain situations?

Giovanni-L

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Ok, i was promptly coming for this white box where i can type down and out all of the "eliteness" i feel by being a PC gamer, but whatever...

You want it simple? You want it stable? Go for the consoles.

You want it to look good? You want to be able to do more stuff than just game? You want to be on top of everyone else? You want the best framerates? You want anti-aliasing? You want download-and-play? Yeah, you know where i'm going... PC! PC! PC!

Sure, i'd love to have japanese-anime-based games like you find on the PS2/3/4. Sure, i'd love to have amazing shooters and racing simulators like you find on the Xoriginal/360/1.

But i want graphical quality, i want to do productive things for a change, i want to browse the internet with a mouse and a keyboard. I want freedom. I'll never let PC gaming go.

Oh... how could i forget... STRATEGY GAAAAAAAMEEEESSSSS

I know the Kinect 2 is way better than the original Kinect. I have seen the demo and i truly appreciate the tech.
But the point to note is - Kinect is a software device rather than a gaming device.

Carmack compares it to a zero button mouse.
How the hell are u going to make a FPS or TPS or even DMC only with Kinect as the input?. How are u going to shoot or change weapons or even move around in the world with only Kinect as input? By making weird poses?
Sony demonstrated the use of PS Move in Killzone.
Bioware used the Kinect to give voice commands to teammates in Mass Effect. That's the best thing they could do?

Dancing, Yoga , sports titles(if u are playing a sport game as a video game and not going out and playing in reality then u are completely missing the point of a sports game) , indie innovations on Kinect - I don't consider these as video games to be played on a 500$ gaming device. They are more like software than video games.

Carmack is an experienced developer . So the current latency on Kinect 2 is not less enough for him to use the Kinect in a AAA game.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Console owners don't know first thing about their hardware. They will still see PS4, xbox one, wii U. What I see this gen is AMD.

HyperionLight

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

I get why people perceive the kinect as they do. I was impressed at first, but after a while I started noticing the limitations. The games…well some were actually good (imho), but the usefulness of the kinect was severely limited and at times it was a chore even starting the game, but the fault doesn’t lie with the games, but with the limitations of the hardware on the original device.

I do - sort off - agree with you on the kinect being more of software than a gaming device, but that was with the original one, as the system hasn’t been released yet!

The question I’m asking myself is: How many games has Mr. Carmack had the pleasure of playing on a yet to be released system to be so sure it will be no good and which one of those games he played made him come to that conclusion?

As far as I know id Software hasn’t made one single kinect game and Carmack himself wasn’t (and still isn’t) that much into motion gaming.

So do I expect praise from him? No!

But for him to go and compare a new piece of technology based on the hardware of old kinect to a one button mouse is like me going and comparing a 9800gtx to a gtx 780 and the difference being that I can actually compare the two cards.

He’s saying the kinect 2 has latency issues and is comparing it to the apple mouse, but praises the hydra that has almost the same or even worse latency issues?!

And then he goes and tells that Sony has made a wise decision with the move and the ps eye. Yeah if we exclude the fact that 10% or less will have the accessories, than yes that’s an expert move on their part.

Seriously the guy was a like a god, but with the Rage debacle and Doom 4 being constantly scraped and rebooted and restarted etc. and if that wasn’t enough the game was ridiculed by devs working on it and they even gave it the moniker “Call of Doom”…well let’s just say that (to me) his words don’t carry as much wait as they once did.

John Carmack has had access to dev kits for ages now, so he's actually used the new Kinect. You haven't, yet you're spouting crap about his comments? That's just ridiculous.

Krisk7

Honorable
May 26, 2013

You are talking about CPU cores (8 each) and I am talking about GPU cores: 768 for XBOX one and 1152 for PS4, which translates into 1.23 TFLOPS for XBOX one and 1.84 TFLOPS fror PS4. This is a 50% difference in graphics power if Anand is right.

HyperionLight

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah ok he has the dev kits, but he himself said that he wasn’t that much into motion gaming and Id Software hasn’t released one single kinect game. So how the F can he compare a new piece of technology to the apple mouse and then predict how will it be used in the future if he doesn't give a crap?

And if you didn’t read it the first time around:

He said that hydra was cool, but kinect wasn’t. Even tough hydra has the same latency issues the new kinect has. Do tell o wise one where is the logic in that?

And how the hell do you know if he’s developing anything for the xbox one anyway? Huh Mr. Don’t-you-talk-crap

Status
Not open for further replies.