Microsoft Has Sold 300 Million Windows 7 Licences

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]compton[/nom]Besides people like myself, like the readers of Toms, that build or upgrade their own computers, most people just buy entire new computers. You buy a laptop, you get Win 7. You had and xp desktop, it had some issues, so you buy a new computer with Win 7. If you had an eMachines from 5 years ago (and by some miracle the PSU didn't croak until last week) you just buy a new one. To most users, it seems more effective to just buy a new one. The computer servicing industry isn't really the service industry of the future. So I'm glad Windows 7 is selling well. It is an excellent product. But people aren't really buying retail packages, they're just buying new units. The Windows license adds a considerable amount of cash to a new build when you roll your own. Microsoft should do two things concerning Windows; 1) drop the different versions. the Mac OS is just the Mac OS, not Mac OS home, pro, or ultimate. Make one good version of Windows 8, not three tiers. 2) Make a more attempts to reach out to the enthusiast market with deals on the OS. The system builder deals are a good start, but I don't think MS cares. Charge us less, and charge Dell more.[/citation]
Technically Windows 7 is five tiers including Starter and Enterprise, but yeah I see where your coming from. A copy of Windows especially a retail version is pretty expensive and Windows can sometimes be the difference between and i7 and a Phenom II. I also agree that Microsoft should reduce the number of editions they release. There should be a all-around version for normal computers (like OSX) and there should be a version for computers with not as much horsepower like netbooks/tablets (like iOS).

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]kkiddu[/nom]Can't wait to get a new build and Win 7 . Don't get me wrong, this XP thing is awesome, it's served me well over the years, but maybe it's finally time to get on with times.[/citation]

Kind of agree with you on XP, however the reason I am thinking to switch on 7 , for 1) able to handle more RAM, 2) 64 bit which I think will run my games better.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]win7 is only for games. for all other work, i use xp. also, xp is easily modifiable than win 7 with less UAC options that get me mad.in win7, i cant edit a txt file in the program files folder.how f**ked is that?[/citation]

And all of those things are protection features thats on by default and easily disabled if you really want to, for the novice user its not a good idea to mess around with the files in the program files. Its quite understandable MS wants to protect the users from doing mistakes that require a program reinstall to fix.

Blender3DProjects

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Why are people so obsessed with saving power? The power savings from an LED or LCD monitor is like 2 bucks a month.Buying a mac to save power is like buying a $40,000 electric car to save on gas. The gas will cover the difference you paid outright in about 20 years of use and it won't even last that long.If you're talking laptop battery power I guess it could add some battery life but for desktops it's pointless.[/citation]

Agreed. I was talking about the laptop battery comment about MACs vs PCs battery life posted earlier in the thread. Hardware is more of a factor than software when it comes to battery life. :) But on the subject of monitors, Do LED ones have more even back lighting than LCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.