Microsoft: HP Gets Another Year of XP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
XP is dead! Any new pc has 4GB of memory or more, and thus could profit from a 64bit system. So anyone who'd pick xp instead of win7 would shoot himself in the left foot, while microsoft shoots him in the right one by dropping the maintainance.
The only version of xp people should consider is the 64bit, and we all know that isn't a very good system making it essentially not a choice either.

I'm glad to see hotfix support until 2014 though. Almost all our computers at work run xp, so it's nice knowing the old garbage can keep running til it eventually fails instead of till microsoft dictates it to.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]smalltime0[/nom]Im telling you now, I know as a fact RRT III runs perfectly well on a vista system, I have it running on 3Your doing something wrong.[/citation]

Thanks for your suggestion. I know some specific version (not the most current) of RR3 works on "some" VISTA system and I tried all suggestion on the web. The problem I had was crashed most likely due to incompatibility w/ my 8400MGS vista driver from HP. Too bad, since it is for my laptop, I can not use the standard driver (more current updated) from Nvidia. RR3 may works on desktop in vista w/ new driver, but it does not work on laptop (at least in my case). Though in this case I can not say it is MS VISTA's fault (it is more due to the laziness of HP), it has pointed out one problem of incompatibility of VISTA to older programs specially when the hardware drivers or the softwares do not patched well for visa.. and if you are unlucky to fit in the grove... you will face the choice between staying in XP or move on... I am ok that I can live w/o RR3 but for some business envirnoment with softwares cost thousands of dollars... move on to a new software or upgrade to a new version may not be cost effective or pratical.

G

To those that think that Vista is a good Idea, You have no knowledge of business or Computers. The computer is a tool to be used by both home users and business users. Most humans have a learning curve and that curve takes time and money. Businesses don't get any advantage from vista in fact businesses lose productivity to Vista. Most business users need e-mail and and a browser and I don't see any advantage to buying 5,000 new computers for my company just because MS made a change. We have various security measures in place that more than make up for whatever Vista has from security standpoint. What does a home user get for Vista, headaches learning the "new" way to do what they have done for years. Most of my games will not play on Vista and various other software I have will not work on Vista. So I can only surmise you are MS workers promoting Vista. How disingenuous. Ms understands marketing very well but still after more than 20 years doesn't understand OS 101. Instead of completely scrapping an OS you should build on the past success. Linux has been around for quite some time and it only gets better building on success. At this point our company after a trial with Vista where the users and the techs howled we are working with 2 distributions of Linux and one or both will become the desktop OS uses company wide. Please remember most business users only need a browser and e-mail and for documents and such Open Office works quite well.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Henry in Virginia:
I believe most of people here are not working or promoting vista. However, since this is Tomshardware, the place for people love and (most likely) spend a lot of time on computer hardwares (or at least on the hardware information/knowledge)and low level software (OS, drivers, and.....), it should not be a surprise that most of people here will look at vista more from a techinical point of view.
It is no doult that vista did bring in quite a few new improvements and technology. And most of us here do have the knowledge and ability (both hardware preformance and human power) to enjoy the cool part of vista while keeping the inconvenient parts of vista in check. So it should not be surprise to see a lot of people here do enjoy their vista experience.
Since none of XP and vista are perfect. The experience from them are all dependent on the "purpose" of the computer and "who" is using it.
If people are looking for the vista experience from average joe or businesemen (though they may account for >70% of the computer user), here may not be the best place for it... ;)
There is nothing right or wrong. It is just different points of view.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I like XP. I like Win7.

They're both awesome.

XP is a brick, it's reliable, fast, it supports almost anything, can work with an array of performance levels, and is simple.
Win7 has so far been reliable for me, free (for now), easy to upgrade from XP user-side, fast, and runs almost anything that XP does.

Though I believe as long as you have the hardware to support it, go to Win7. My Pentium D and 1gig of ram even takes Win7 flawlessly.

My only real complaint with Win7 is the lack of emulator support thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.