News Microsoft inks deal to restart Three Mile Island nuclear reactor to fuel its voracious AI ambitions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 28, 2024
They don't seem to be making any upgrades to the reactor itself, but rather the mechanical components like turbines, etc. A modern GW-scale nuclear power plant costs tens of billions of dollars, far more than the 1.6 billion projected for this project.
Right on... I wouldn't know. I was making assumptions. I knew a new reactor would be more expensive than the 1.6 billion. But I was thinking it might be updated maybe? I'm not good at what all that stuff costs to bring to modern standards.

Do you think that they'd do anything to update the old reactor tech?

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The stench of hypocrisy for climate change is cryto and AI. The same groups that are worried about climate change are fueling it. My cost for electric keeps going up and up, in part because of AI and crypto.
Then I take it that you are in favor of the decision to "restart" the Three Mile Island nuclear reactor since:
1) Nuclear is a zero-emission clean energy source (according to the U.S. Department of Energy).
2) Doing this will add nothing to your (or anyone else's) electric bill since it will be totally off the public grid.
3) You are an intelligent and logical thinking person and as such agree with the first two points.