Microsoft Introduces Visual Search for Bing

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]nirvanabah[/nom]How long til we can search for pr0n stars by boob size?[/citation]

That's probably what it is intended from the beginning.

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I just used it for looking at dog breeds, and it worked pretty well. I narrowed down the criteria that I wanted, picked a picture of a dog I thought looked nice then got wiki pages/ breeder, rescue organizations. I don't think this will change the face of search engines but I definitely see it as being a very useful tool, such as shopping for a car or maybe even looking for Houses. In this specific instance with searching for dogs I discovered a breed that might be more suitable for me, and I probably never would of considered it otherwise.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Funny how Microsoft wants the world to use Silverlight instead of flash, but only MS sites USE Silverlight. Everyone else uses Flash. So do we install and use Silverlight to visit MS, or do we stop trying to visit MS?

I seem to recall IBM tried this. They made OS/2 only compatible with IBM printers, hoping to sell more printers. Instead, people just avoided OS/2.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Silverlight is used on a lot of sites and applications, far more than you think. There are also a LOT of advantages over Flash. The integration with .NET and the possibilities that provide are eye-opening. Flash is becoming old, legacy weighed down tech....Adobe doesn't even have Flash for 64 bit browsers yet, it's that poorly written. And 64 bit browsers have been out for a few years now. Think about that one.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I prefer good ol' text so much more than all the picture-based GUIs coming out recently. I can navigate so much faster. I can see pictures being useful in some situations, but being a power user I'd rather just have plain text for most things. One of the main reasons I didn't get Vista, and one of the reasons I'm hesitant about Windows 7.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]fazers_on_stun[/nom]^ +1. IMO, the weekly Flash player updates to plug security holes is ridiculous. And with more people moving to 64-bit OSes, Adobe is really behind the curve on this issue.[/citation]
Well, I remember macromedia's flash being really cool and groundbreaking, adobe's flash on the other hand is just as sucky as reader.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]Adobe doesn't even have Flash for 64 bit browsers yet, it's that poorly written. And 64 bit browsers have been out for a few years now.[/citation]Actually there's a 64-bit alpha version for Linux and they claim that Windows and OS X versions are in development. But I agree that it shouldn't have taken so long.

I don't use NET so I don't have an opinion on how it compares to Adobe Flex.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]FlayerSlayer[/nom]Funny how Microsoft wants the world to use Silverlight instead of flash, but only MS sites USE Silverlight. Everyone else uses Flash. So do we install and use Silverlight to visit MS, or do we stop trying to visit MS?I seem to recall IBM tried this. They made OS/2 only compatible with IBM printers, hoping to sell more printers. Instead, people just avoided OS/2.[/citation]

Well just because its been around for a while doesn't make it better, from a developer stand Silverlight has advantages over Flash.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Actually there's a 64-bit alpha version for Linux and they claim that Windows and OS X versions are in development. But I agree that it shouldn't have taken so long.I don't use NET so I don't have an opinion on how it compares to Adobe Flex.[/citation]

I think they only did that cause 32-bit flash doesn't run in 64-bit linux(at least for me). everything else works fine so why should they care?

mykem

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Why not have both Silverlight and Flash installed? They're just browser plugins. They're not mutually exclusive. They don't conflict with each other. Mix and match. It's just technology, folks. Take it or leave it. You're not clubbing baby seals by using either one.

onsiteone

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
oh great... I have to install yet another add-on to my browser, and change my habbits from searching on Google. On the other hand, I'll just continue ignoring Bing. I'm so lazy.... but content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS