News Microsoft is adding skills and third-party shopping plugins to Copilot — Windows and AI want to help you spend more money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr3ams

Respectable
Sep 29, 2021
Microsoft can add whatever they want to Windows, as long as I have the option to deactivate it. Forcing me to eat the crap they're shoveling is only going to push me into the arms of Linux.

A good example is forcing a switch from Windows Mail to ad plagued Outlook.

Reactions: HopefulToad

CmdrShepard

Upstanding
BANNED
Dec 18, 2023
Microsoft can add whatever they want to Windows, as long as I have the option to deactivate it. Forcing me to eat the crap they're shoveling is only going to push me into the arms of Linux.
I hate Microsoft as much as the next guy but I swear I am sick of people threatening to go to Linux. Guess what? Nobody hears you and nobody cares -- if you think Linux can do stuff you need then just do it. Chances are good it can't (I tried recently and couldn't get even some basic stuff to work) and you will be back to Winodws sooner than you think especially if you play games.

With that out of the way I absolutely freaking hate all the crap they are adding to Windows, and especially the AI crap.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
I hate Microsoft as much as the next guy but I swear I am sick of people threatening to go to Linux. Guess what? Nobody hears you and nobody cares -- if you think Linux can do stuff you need then just do it.
This.

People should keep their rumblings silent until after they've made the switch. Don't warn me what you're gonna do tomorrow, when tomorrow never seems to come.

Tell me about your accomplishments. You're not on Linux yet? Oh.......... oh well.

Dr3ams

Respectable
Sep 29, 2021
I hate Microsoft as much as the next guy but I swear I am sick of people threatening to go to Linux. Guess what? Nobody hears you and nobody cares -- if you think Linux can do stuff you need then just do it. Chances are good it can't (I tried recently and couldn't get even some basic stuff to work) and you will be back to Winodws sooner than you think especially if you play games.

With that out of the way I absolutely freaking hate all the crap they are adding to Windows, and especially the AI crap.
Two words: boot manager.

One OS for gaming, the other for no BS.

Or, what I'm using now...virtual machines.

:tongueout::tongueout::tongueout:

Last edited:

Giroro

Splendid
The question remains: Why would I voluntarily sign up for any system designed solely to trick me into buying stuff?

I probably wouldn't, which I suppose is why Microsoft is forcefully shoving it down everybody's throats.

Dr3ams

Respectable
Sep 29, 2021
This.

People should keep their rumblings silent until after they've made the switch. Don't warn me what you're gonna do tomorrow, when tomorrow never seems to come.

Tell me about your accomplishments. You're not on Linux yet? Oh.......... oh well.
Maybe you've never heard of virtual machines, but I'm using both operating systems...so, do I have your permission to "rumble" now? 🙄

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024
I use O&O Shutup to disable Cortana and Copilot (it sets the GPO for me) and other things I don't use like the Windows Search Indexer. Of course you can do this manually if you want, but works for me(tm).

So after the install, still no copilot for me.

Reactions: Rabohinf
Chances are good it can't (I tried recently and couldn't get even some basic stuff to work)
Chances are good that is not the OS to blame on this, but rather user expecting everything to work just like windows.

But yes - taking this step is a leap, not just dipping the toes so it just get a little wet before running home again where it feels safe.

Reactions: Rabohinf

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Not much enthusiasm in this thread, huh? :)

Personally, I like i.e. RSS feeds (readers). So, if Copilot would give some user agency about how to set stuff up, with open standards for 3rd party plugins, that could be quite cool to have on the 2nd desktop or monitor.

(So far) it looks more like Clippit though, this time with Azure behind its back. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, in particular for work. But doesn't seem to be how I would imagine a copilot, which would help e.g. to set up macros, such as to mute Steam, IRCapp, Teams ... notifications with one push of a button (or setting one AfK everywhere for that matter), and other stuff.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Not much enthusiasm in this thread, huh? :)
If Microsoft made Copilot work locally, without sending data to servers, and properly protected my data as I accessed third party services (not just safety but ethically), then I'd use it every single day, because I'd be the user.

As it is (all on their servers, taking notes of my behaviour and telling (selling) that to others, sniffing everything I do on the PC), then I'm not a user, I'm the product. And like that, I will stay as far away as I can.

Apr 1, 2020
The problem I see with Copilot (and other Chat GPT-like bots from Google and others) is how they're going to make them profitable in the face of what has to be far higher costs than previous "dumb" bots like Alexa, which failed to generate a profit, and I don't see how partnering with other companies to enable their skills will monetize it enough, especially since most people won't use those skills.

CmdrShepard

Upstanding
BANNED
Dec 18, 2023
Chances are good that is not the OS to blame on this, but rather user expecting everything to work just like windows.
I am not expecting everything to work like Windows. I expect that every graphical OS comes with a standard remote desktop capability. Both Windows and Mac OS have it built-in.

It might not be the OS (i.e. Linux) fault, but it sure is the distro maintainers' fault to not have a freaking remote desktop of any kind built-in if you are offering a desktop experience to begin with.

And no, "just use ssh and type stuff in command line" doesn't cut it.

Not to mention "in order to use VNC you are supposed to know arcane config file settings and how each VNC server launches under each possible desktop compositor oh and also you should know how to setup ssh tunneling if you want to make it accessible on the internet because VNC protocol is so lame that it doesn't even support encryption".

It's like selling a car without seatbelts, airbags, and AC in 2024.

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I am not expecting everything to work like Windows. I expect that every graphical OS comes with a standard remote desktop capability. Both Windows and Mac OS have it built-in.

It might not be the OS (i.e. Linux) fault, but it sure is the distro maintainers' fault to not have a freaking remote desktop of any kind built-in if you are offering a desktop experience to begin with.

And no, "just use ssh and type stuff in command line" doesn't cut it.

Not to mention "in order to use VNC you are supposed to know arcane config file settings and how each VNC server launches under each possible desktop compositor oh and also you should know how to setup ssh tunneling if you want to make it accessible on the internet because VNC protocol is so lame that it doesn't even support encryption".

Arcane config file settings?

Ugh, I hate to break it to you bro, but you're REALLY not going to like the future if your goal is to be in tech.

If your goal is to just consume it, then by all means, complain.

Reactions: Grobe
As we move into this new phase with Ai and the changes Windows is adding to your working Windows 11 OS that some of us have no use for.

I have one simple piece of advice. Make sure you have in a safe place earlier versions of windows 11 on a USB ready for installs for some future install and not be caught up and stuck with the new rollout.

You can't avoid if we need to learn how to deal with some unwanted updated that will install but I find it easier to deal with that verses them being baked in with the new rollout.

I also highly also recommend doing a full install of windows 10 with updates. Register it and put it away as a back up.
As it is now I only let one of my computers even hit the internet as a daily driver.

Every time we have a OS jump from XP to 7 to 10 to 11 I go into dark mode. lol

It takes me about two week hammering away at the new OS and most of the time it's 2am and I'm past the point of being tired and that's when it all comes together.

All of the way through Xp to now Windows 11 a personalized locked in time with my full control of ISO's I made to do what I want it to do.

This rollout from Window will go out and it will be the new norm like it or leave it but I say just be ready and for the most part with a little homework came out on top.

I just had a frighting thought. The term living off grid usually means living in the woods cut off from the world.

Is the new off grid term just mean keeping Ai out of your life. :eek: :rofl:

If Microsoft made Copilot work locally, without sending data to servers, and properly protected my data as I accessed third party services (not just safety but ethically), then I'd use it every single day, because I'd be the user.

As it is (all on their servers, taking notes of my behaviour and telling (selling) that to others, sniffing everything I do on the PC), then I'm not a user, I'm the product. And like that, I will stay as far away as I can.
So you sent this message by mental projection while sitting on a rock on a mountain right?!
You are using an ISP, they record everything, every page you go to records stuff, windows does, and probably so do most versions of linux.
AI doesn't add any more recording or spying than already happens, it just makes the same amount of spying work more/better for you.

ekio

Reputable
Mar 24, 2021
Complete your OS new UI everywhere first…
This stuff is unfinished for 25 years.
Damn, a trillion dollars and even 3 devs projects get a better finish of their UI.

CmdrShepard

Upstanding
BANNED
Dec 18, 2023
Arcane config file settings?
Yes.

You have to:

- Create a config file from scratch (there isn't even a sample template file in place)
- Create it in a specific . prefixed subfolder of your ~ folder
- Manually configure service to auto-start

On top of that it doesn't really work.

Now tell me one good reason why there's no automatic configuration and no user interface for this?

There are none.

Ugh, I hate to break it to you bro, but you're REALLY not going to like the future if your goal is to be in tech.
I am "in tech" for 35 years, and I am sick of this elitist mindset where the most trivial things are made hard to configure and / or use for no good reason at all.
If your goal is to just consume it, then by all means, complain.
The purpose of a computer with an OS is to enable you to USE APPLICATIONS, NOT WASTE TIME ON THE OS ITSELF.

Those applications differ -- some people use browser and office productivity apps, others play games, some create content, some consume content, others like me do all of the above plus write code for living.

I can reverse-engineer code, I can figure out how to configure or fix anything on a computer given enough time. The point is -- I don't want to waste time on things that should be doable with one click in Settings and if you call that consuming, then so be it but please don't be surprised if Year Of Linux Desktop never comes.

Reactions: George³

CmdrShepard

Upstanding
BANNED
Dec 18, 2023
So you sent this message by mental projection while sitting on a rock on a mountain right?!
You are using an ISP, they record everything, every page you go to records stuff, windows does, and probably so do most versions of linux.
AI doesn't add any more recording or spying than already happens, it just makes the same amount of spying work more/better for you.
Literally nothing you said is true.

ISPs can at best record your DNS queries if you are stupid enough to use unencrypted DNS or DNS servers provided by your ISP.

Windows can be nerfed with Group Policy to not send almost anything if you are willing to go the Enterprise route and shell out for Windows Server to run your own domain. Even without that you can still disable most of the spying and telemetry and block the rest on the network level.

AI does add a lot more because they can use what you do to train it further and they won't give opt out of that to home users, only to entrprises.

Finally, AI doesn't add anything useful for you -- it's there for them, not for you.

No, it's not comparable in any way. Seatbelts saves life, while you get to figure remote desktop probably won't be a direct cause for saving life.

This for me more and less confirms that OS is not to blame, but your problem is within a third party software.

That is like you figure you need a baby seat for the kid, but figures it's a good idea using a sac sack, and when this doesn't work you complaint about how bad the car is.

Then you seemingly have a specific need where you just use Windows, simple as that. There is no universal rule that dictates every OS must have a rdp solution built in.

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Yes.

You have to:

- Create a config file from scratch (there isn't even a sample template file in place)
- Create it in a specific . prefixed subfolder of your ~ folder
- Manually configure service to auto-start

On top of that it doesn't really work.

Now tell me one good reason why there's no automatic configuration and no user interface for this?

There are none.

I am "in tech" for 35 years, and I am sick of this elitist mindset where the most trivial things are made hard to configure and / or use for no good reason at all.

The purpose of a computer with an OS is to enable you to USE APPLICATIONS, NOT WASTE TIME ON THE OS ITSELF.

Those applications differ -- some people use browser and office productivity apps, others play games, some create content, some consume content, others like me do all of the above plus write code for living.

I can reverse-engineer code, I can figure out how to configure or fix anything on a computer given enough time. The point is -- I don't want to waste time on things that should be doable with one click in Settings and if you call that consuming, then so be it but please don't be surprised if Year Of Linux Desktop never comes.
My point was to call out that there is no such thing as an arcane config file setting, since in Linux everything is stored in files. It's how the OS works, unlike Windows which uses a registry to store application (and OS) information, should devs choose to use it.

Anyways, it sounds like you've been writing code for awhile, which I find hard to believe since you called config files "arcane".

I will NOT toot my horn because who tf cares, but Configuration as Code, Infrastructure as Code, Infrastructure From Code and Declarative and Immutable Infrastructure would like a word with you considering they are the present and future ways enterprises today deploy and integrate infra code into Ci/Cd pipelines.

They are literally entire disciplines centered around "arcane" config files.

Reactions: Order 66

CmdrShepard

Upstanding
BANNED
Dec 18, 2023
No, it's not comparable in any way. Seatbelts saves life, while you get to figure remote desktop probably won't be a direct cause for saving life.
Don't be a pedant -- the point was that seatbelts, airbags, and AC are standard equipment in cars nowadays.
This for me more and less confirms that OS is not to blame, but your problem is within a third party software.
It's hardly my fault that Linux OS doesn't have a first party remote desktop solution built in.
There is no universal rule that dictates every OS must have a rdp solution built in.
That holds true for server OS instances which are installed without GUI (even Microsoft has a shell-only version of server OS).

I specifically installed desktop version with GUI and I think that expecting to have built in remote access out-of-the-box isn't unreasonable.

TL;DR -- If you are offering GUI, desktop experience, and multi-user environment then you should better have a RDP solution if you want to be taken seriously. All other players have it, get on with the times already.

CmdrShepard

Upstanding
BANNED
Dec 18, 2023
My point was to call out that there is no such thing as an arcane config file setting, since in Linux everything is stored in files. It's how the OS works, unlike Windows which uses a registry to store application (and OS) information, should devs choose to use it.
And there's absolutely no difference between hacking Linux config files and Windows registry from the viewpoint of a REGULAR USER.
I will NOT toot my horn because who tf cares, but Configuration as Code, Infrastructure as Code, Infrastructure From Code and Declarative and Immutable Infrastructure would like a word with you considering they are the present and future ways enterprises today deploy and integrate infra code into Ci/Cd pipelines.
That's totally different application and has nothing to do with being user friendly and easy to use.
They are literally entire disciplines centered around "arcane" config files.
And that's exactly the reason why they shouldn't be used for setting up the simple user-facing stuff.

There's absolutely no good reason why someone who just wants to remote into their laptop to run some program installed on it should need to learn any config file syntax and know how to change machine wide service configs from the command line. To say otherwise reeks of elitism.

Status
Not open for further replies.